• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Secret of Mr. Osomatsu

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
An interesting read; I don't know much about that mangaka culture regarding Tokiwa house and all the artists that came out of it, so it was fascinating reading about it!

Osomatsu-san is the only anime this season I'm following, and it's always worth it. I'm glad it's gotten some attention, but I'm more glad people are enjoying it beyond just the first episode - I think a lot of people got the wrong idea about the show from ep 1 and were disappointed when ep 2 didn't have bishies and more obvious parodies.

That Tensai Bakabon Flanders movie sounds hilarious, I'm going to have to track down some of the Bakabon stuff...
Akatsuka has such an absurd sense of humour that the newer versions of his stuff really aren't too different to the source material.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't know if the current Osomatsu is really that popular in Japan, other than with hipsters. But if it is, it might be due to the writers changing the format to Manzai-style comedy.
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Great column, Dave, though I have to mention that the Honey & Honey you linked to probably isn't the one Mizuno made.

Personally, I want to see the Bakabon family get wrapped up with Hamlet or some other Shakespeare tragedy.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Just an FYI, when talking about Hideko Mizuno, "Honey & Honey" links to a hentai manga of the same name, not Mizuno's "Honey Honey no Suteki na Bōken."

Somebody might want to fix that.

EDIT:
Someone noticed before me. I read all of the forum posts and somehow didn't notice that. My eyesight must be going...
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I don't know if the current Osomatsu is really that popular in Japan, other than with hipsters. But if it is, it might be due to the writers changing the format to Manzai-style comedy.

Osomatsu san is doing quite well in Japan. It's especially got the attention of a large female audience, arguably mainly due to its amazing cast.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
Gokumew: I see. Thanks.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
I look forward to the Doraemon column. Unlike most Americans, I actually grew up on the series due to my family importing Doraemon stuff, including the manga. I couldn't read the text, but family members more familiar with the series than me would explain what's going on.

I really ought to watch Osomatsu-san. It sounds right up my alley as a self-aware comedy that depicts classic cartoon characters as fish out of water in modern culture, something of Japan's answer to Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:00 am Reply with quote
I watched some of Tensai Bakabon on JET TV (Japan Entertainment Television), back in 1998 or so, dubbed in English. JET TV also had an English dub of the WMT Anne of Green Gables anime series that sounded like it was done in Canada. Wonder if Mike has heard either dub.

(One of my great regrets is not taping the English dub of the 1997 Eko Eko Azarak live-action TV series starring Hinako Saeki. Who knows what happened to all the JET TV dubs of anime and J-dramas.)
Aoi_Nagase

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
Honestly, when I heard that Osomatsu-kun was an anime from the 60s, I have doubts whether it'll be anything but success in the current era or it'll only be popular among kids. Well, I was born in the 90s and I know nothing about it or the manga at all. But then, I watched the preview of Osomatsu-san and thought, "Wow, this might be more interesting than I thought."

I quickly took an interest in Osomatsu-san because of the sextuplets' uncanny resemblance to (at least for me) Doraemon's Nobita in appearance (Excluding the glasses, of course). I grew fond of Doraemon for a long time, since it was basically my reason to start liking anime. That's why the sextuplets' similar appearance to Nobita kinds of brings back memories.

I had a good time watching episode 1 despite my prejudices, so I decided to follow the series. I never thought I'll be drawn to an anime that originates back from the 60s.
valoon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:34 am Reply with quote
It's a shame that so many old anime are not subbed/dubbed.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Aoi_Nagase wrote:
I quickly took an interest in Osomatsu-san because of the sextuplets' uncanny resemblance to (at least for me) Doraemon's Nobita in appearance (Excluding the glasses, of course).

I noticed the sextuplets resembled Nobita too. I thought they were duplicates of Nobita when I first saw the promotional image and wondered what happened to their glasses.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode and it was HILARIOUS. But I watched the second episode and it was just meh. But then again, I'm just not very big on straight up comedy I guess. Don't care for Who's Line or SNL or things like that. But the history behind the shows was interesting, especially the Tokiwa house.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Great Mike as always, i saw the first episode and it was amazing to see stuff like this as old school fan.
But i expected you might say something about the failed Tezuka Wonder 3 kickstarter i knew you really wanted that so did i still really depressed about it ... Sad gonna take years before we can get it now ...
Dark Mysty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Since I was reminded by your comment on Doraemon: Stand By Me being dubbed: A bit over a couple months back, I was on a domestic U.S. flight and noticed they had the Doraemon: Nobita no Space Heroes movie in Japanese with English subtitles as an on-flight movie selection. Watched it, enjoyed it, and after I finished it I noticed the rating was listed as PG-13? (I have a photo here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNJMfCIUsAAMxYm.jpg:large) I wondered if this was a mistake and tried to Google it, but could only find info on the Japanese release.

Anyway, thought it was interesting that Doraemon: Nobita no Space Heroes was subbed.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:20 am Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
I watched the first episode and it was HILARIOUS. But I watched the second episode and it was just meh. But then again, I'm just not very big on straight up comedy I guess. Don't care for Who's Line or SNL or things like that. But the history behind the shows was interesting, especially the Tokiwa house.

Yeah I dropped the series as soon as i saw the second episode. The characters all looked exactly the same, I know there all twins but when it comes to comedy I have to try to understand who is who. Not only that but to me it felt like a half-baked version of gintama.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2