• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Korean Actor to Star in Japanese/Korean City Hunter

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wickio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
This is so great! Any idea on whether it's gonna be a live-action TV series, or a theatrical release?

I've been dying to see a live action City Hunter adaptation that follows closer to the original manga ever since I saw Jackie Chan's abomination. I mean, the movie was okay but I can't call it a City Hunter movie without feeling dirty. Mr Mumble somewhat filled the void, but it was by no means a masterpiece either.

I'm sure Jung Woo-sung will be able to portray our favourite mokkori-man much better than the past two attempts in any case. Razz

Thanks for the news!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Raoh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Next time, please re-read the article.

It clearly states its going to be a live action drama version.

I've seen the live action movie version, aswell (I actually own it on DVD), and it wasn't that bad. I do agree that calling it a City Hunter movie would be stretching it a bit.

It was a VERY loose adaptation, as a movie itself, it wasn't that bad.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the Jackie Chan version was fairly close to the manga, except Kaoru was hot. It's just that you can't buy Jackie as a perv. And Hojo-san signed my dvd insert for it at BAAF, so he's ok with it.
Wickio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:

I knew I would get a response like that, and I thought that to be the case, but I was just making sure. I did re-read the article, but after all, "drama is the specific mode of fiction represented in performance, performed in various media: theatre, radio, film, and television." Just because it is the commonly used term for live-action Japanese shows doesn't mean the term can't be coined for other forms of media as well. =P

GATSU wrote:
Actually, the Jackie Chan version was fairly close to the manga, except Kaoru was hot. It's just that you can't buy Jackie as a perv. And Hojo-san signed my dvd insert for it at BAAF, so he's ok with it.

Yeah, I suppose that's a factor, I'd much rather have had someone else playing the role. I'd say Mr Mumble was the more faithful movie though, especially in terms of character design and interaction. But, "Mr Mumble"... that's a real sucky name, for both the movie and Ryo.

So you met Hojo? That's pretty awesome! And hell, if the Jackie Chan movie gets his seal of approval, all the better. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Cant wait... A lot of recent anime Live Action drama series have actually been very good, and some I think even better than the anime - and one or two even better than the manga - so here's hoping!
Ranmah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope they do a good job with the series. This is a pretty cool show. I wonder who will play Kaori. Will they still use her famous Mallot?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raoh

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:37 am Reply with quote
Wickio wrote:
Raoh wrote:

I knew I would get a response like that, and I thought that to be the case, but I was just making sure. I did re-read the article, but after all, "drama is the specific mode of fiction represented in performance, performed in various media: theatre, radio, film, and television." Just because it is the commonly used term for live-action Japanese shows doesn't mean the term can't be coined for other forms of media as well. =P

The definition of Drama has nothing to do with this.

The Japanese only use the term for their television programs. Most people know that.

Nice excuse, though.
silentjay

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
There were actually three HK City Hunter movies, with the Jackie Chan one being the second. The first and third lost the City Hunter-ness somewhere in the English translation, but they were both actually City Hunter movies.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

I thought the main difference is the focus away from his insane sharp shooting which was such a big part of the character in the series. Then again I only saw the movie once when it was released in the theater so I might be remembering it wrong. I will also agree that Kaori was a different character.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:58 pm Reply with quote
He still does gunplay, but yeah, since it's a Jackie movie, the focus is on MA. I guess that couldn't be helped, unless they got Jet Li or Tony Leung for the part.
Nermal

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Wickio wrote:
I'm sure Jung Woo-sung will be able to portray our favourite mokkori-man much better than the past two attempts in any case. Razz

Ahhh but is he willing to giggle and dress up as Chun-Li? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1