• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound! Euphonium (TV + movies + OAV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bakajo48

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
keichitsu0305 wrote:
I have no major gripes with the show but my only question was the picture Taki-sensei had. I wasn't sure who was in it but it looked like a girl? Kinda wanted to know who that was but, I'm positive it was more important in the novel.

My first impression was that it was a young Reina being held by her mother or something, and maybe Taki-sensei has the hots for the mom. But now that I look at it most closely the girl is alone. She looks young, but is wearing a ring on her left ring finger. So I'm not sure who it is either.

For something I was wondering since episode 1... What do you think Kumiko's hair is meant to represent? Both her sister and Shuichi comment about her tying her hair up in the first episode, which suggests it's not her usual look. She let her hair down when she decides to join the band so I thought that signified her character moving forward. But she ties up her hair this episode which surprised me because it seemed like a step backwards. But obviously that wasn't really the case.

I think the girl on the photo is Taki's late wife. Although yes, she looked a lot like Reina.

And about Kumiko tied up her hair, maybe it's a reference to the competition on the first episode. I think this is more like a parallelism. Kumiko was detached back in the 1st episode and in the finale, despite she returned to her old hairstyle, her personality had grown to more passionate and willing to strife forward. It's the subtlety that attracted me with the series.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
One thing is certain: ponytail hairdo represents maturity (the same way twintails represent childishness).
Everything else is my speculation, but I think it goes something like this:
In first episode Kumiko tried to look mature since she entered high school, and thought she would be grown up in a flash, yet she felt stupid, and was called out on it not fitting her as well, so in shame, she decided not to do her hair again.
In the final episode though, she did it again, which suggests that she thinks she matured a lot since then, and don't feel ashamed with that hairstyle.
bakajo48

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
One thing is certain: ponytail hairdo represents maturity (the same way twintails represent childishness).
Everything else is my speculation, but I think it goes something like this:
In first episode Kumiko tried to look mature since she entered high school, and thought she would be grown up in a flash, yet she felt stupid, and was called out on it not fitting her as well, so in shame, she decided not to do her hair again.
In the final episode though, she did it again, which suggests that she thinks she matured a lot since then, and don't feel ashamed with that hairstyle.

Oooh that gives me a new perspective!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:53 pm Reply with quote
bakajo48 wrote:
Sunny milk wrote:

Oooh that gives me a new perspective!

I thought pony-tails was generally perv bait. Covert ones like Kyon from MoHS or overt ones like that guy who chased around the girls wearing a horse head from FMP.

Here: she wants to attract her friend in a yuri sort of way.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Anyhow, ponytail is commonly looked upon as mature hairstyle (and it even gets called out on episode one by Kumiko's sister).
I think Kyon having a thing for it is his own perversion, but it's not perv bait in itself (twintails is more perv bait if we're talking about that)
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:56 pm Reply with quote
So I marathoned it this holiday weekend; I gave it 11/11 because of the orchestral music.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Maybe pony tail being mature is a Japanese things, cause I really don't think pony tail when I think "mature haircut", I mean it's more mature than twin tail. But tied up behind the head or even just not tied seems far more mature to me.

If anything ponytail mostly just makes me think of sports, or even cheerleader (def not mature then).
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:21 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Maybe pony tail being mature is a Japanese things

It is. Aside from it was pretty obviously presented in the first episode, there are also a lot of "twintail vs ponytail, loli vs mature girl" jokes or just situations in anime if you pay attention.
I could almost say this is just common knowledge.
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015)

Spoilers Reminder for Marathon Discussion: Tag all spoilers within your post(s) and record the episode number(s) you're discussing at the top of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
Episodes 1-13

Wow, the yuri bait was strong in this one. And I fell for it, hook, line, and sinker.

Errrgh, arrrrgh. I'm so torn about there being another season greenlit. On the one hand, YAY! More Sound!Euphonium! The characters were relateable, the music was amazing (especially the last episode), the animation was gorgeous, the dramatic tension was on the nose, and the character interactions felt organic. And I spoiler[really want to see them go to Nationals and the outcome of it.] On the other hand, NO! The real threat of my chosen couple spoiler[(Kumiko and Reina)] only being bait is really concerning. KyoAni, you took liberties with the source material anyways, can't you at least leave everything open-ended on the matter?

Sideways rant: I'm getting tired of the baiting and implications in shows I watch for whatever the reasons may be. I was never a fan of the Class S genre. While, yes, the strong emotional bonds between women is a crucial aspect to a relationship, the implications that girls are expected to graduate from them and be a normal contributor to society and that it keeps them "pure" up until they marry a man and have children rubs me the wrong way. On a fundamental level, I don't agree with it. And as a fan of series that has these high school female romances, it's really frustrating to become attached to a couple that has several emotional moments together. Even as you watch, you recognize that this is probably a "phase" they'll grow out of because it's normal and because of cultural expectations. I recognize it's a fantasy for a demographic that I'm (probably) not a part of. Still, I can't help but hope for more shows with actual homosexual behavior in them. Or shows where the main couple just happens to be homosexual (e.g. No. 6).

Anyways, in regards to the original novels (SOURCE MATERIAL SPOILERS) spoiler[Kumiko and Reina do not get together and Kumiko ends up dating Shuichi later on. The anime took liberties with the source material by adding a lot more LesYay moments to the series, bumping up Reina's importance in the series, and making her an actual romantic competitor. So I'm slightly hopeful yet worried as to how the 2nd season is going to go.]

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people... and worthless minds discuss shipping."

So there's my worthless $0.02 on the series. I am a shipper at heart, and if there's one thing that I'll get really invested in, it's shipping.

Overall rating: Very good

Man, KyoAni, you've been getting multiple of those ratings from me as of late.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
OVA:

Hazuki's still got quite a lot to deal with, in various ways, but she's a tough girl, that's for sure.

And Natsuki continues to be best senpai.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
There's a new episode out!

Episode 14/ Ova

I was pretty stoked when I stumbled upon this today. It's titled Kakedasu Monaka , but it's labeled as EP14 and is full length.

Anyhows, it fills in the gaps for the other 10 students that didn't make it into the final concert band, starting from just after the testing and ending at the performance. So whilst the story is mainly based on Hazuki, we get much more Natsuki (who shows us why she's still awesome) and Shuichi development. Also, Hazuki gains a rank for being totally adorable by the end.

Honestly can't wait until Season 2 now!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
OVA / Special (Kakedasu Monaka)

A lot of nice Hazuki. A little scene like a look at Hazuki's room adds some nice details. Her room is filled with things like dinosaur toys, space posters and mobiles, and a touch of superhero. It is not exactly what you would call feminine, and perhaps some part of her insecurity about it and why she original wanted to do something elegant. But she is the coolest when she is more true to herself, what she ended up doing.

Also, Natsuki is great.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 14 just came up on CR.

What a closing line.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
One of the funniest previews I've seen this year for season 2. But I'm in for it. Can't wait for the sequel/season 2 Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAHOb96Nnfw&feature=youtu.be
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 22