• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anaheim's Akihabara Expo Convention Cancelled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
Sounds like an epically failed business venture right there. This guy was either way over his head, or a skilled con artist. I feel bad for anybody that purchased tickets from this guy. At least AM2 was free to attend for its short duration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
no relation

Maybe Michael is Mikey's doppelganger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Sounds like an epically failed business venture right there. This guy was either way over his head, or a skilled con artist. I feel bad for anybody that purchased tickets from this guy. At least AM2 was free to attend for its short duration.

Yeah, so many startups find themselves in deep legal trouble or jump the gun regarding permissions, clearances, and licenses and find themselves in deep legal trouble. For the latter, I'd blame it on the startup people being really excited and not understanding that you need to get everything in order and official before stating something to the public and that getting approved for a license is not the same thing as actually obtaining a license. (Or a patent. Or clearance. Or a number of other things when you work with well-established companies experienced on the legal side.)

Reading this, I honestly cannot tell if this project was going to be a some kind of scam and the expo would have never existed in the first place (like the South Seas Company) or if this was the result of someone with no knowledge of how business works and went in totally unprepared (like Skit-B). Stuff like putting Crunchyroll on the guest list and publicizing it before asking Crunchyroll is undoubtedly naïveté. Stuff like misappropriating money could be either way. The fact that the founder has to go find another source of income to pay people back in refunds indicates something went awry with the money.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:47 am Reply with quote
"Finding a job to pay everyone back" What a mess!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1