• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Anime TV Ranking: May 21-May 27

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frubam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Can someone kindly explain to me how these kiddy-looking old shows are at the top of everyone's 'to watch' list? I know Shin chan's pretty funny, always catch/record it when it comes on AS, but those other shows, i have never seen and some never heard of.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:05 am Reply with quote
frubam wrote:
Can someone kindly explain to me how these kiddy-looking old shows are at the top of everyone's 'to watch' list? I know Shin chan's pretty funny, always catch/record it when it comes on AS, but those other shows, i have never seen and some never heard of.

Beside Gegege no Kitaro and Yes! Precure 5 which are new shows for this season, all those other shows have been airing for years....there kind of like I love Lucy they'll never go away basically. And a lot of those shows haven't been licensed in the US, or if they were license has now expired and won't be renewed.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
frubam wrote:

Beside Gegege no Kitaro and Yes! Precure 5 which are new shows for this season, all those other shows have been airing for years....there kind of like I love Lucy they'll never go away basically. And a lot of those shows haven't been licensed in the US, or if they were license has now expired and won't be renewed.

The only ones that can be found in the US are Pokemon DP (heck there is a marathon for it on CN as I type), Detective Conan (under the name Case Closed), One Piece, and of course Shin-chan now. The rest are unlicensed, but with the exception of the '07 shows, are also considered family classics.

They are Japan's main stream family shows, which means they have more people watching them the your shows made for a specific or limited audience.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quote
frubam wrote:

Because the family audience shows are the big draw.
The stuff we see on AS is not necessarily top rated in Japan.Hells bells, AS keeps insisting their American stuff gets higher ratings than the anime. Everything I've heard siggests the biggest reason we're seeing more Hellsing is the American audience loved it. The Japanese weren't quite as taken with it as we are. Though they do seem to be getting a larger number of vamp titles.
Katsu Koneko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Ari-chan wrote:
The only ones that can be found in the US are Pokemon DP (heck there is a marathon for it on CN as I type),

Actually the marathon is just the old 4kids' Pokemon dub and not DP, DP has only aired the first three episodes and it officially starts on monday with the fourth episode.

^^;

And on topic, whoo Pokemon is still on the top 10. Anime hyper
Gauss

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

Gegege no Kitaro and Yes! Precure 5 are both sequels to long-running popular shows. Gegege could certainly be considered an evergreen since it's an alt version of an 80s anime series that was a sequel to a 60s show.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Katsu Koneko wrote:
Ari-chan wrote:
The only ones that can be found in the US are Pokemon DP (heck there is a marathon for it on CN as I type),

Actually the marathon is just the old 4kids' Pokemon dub and not DP, DP has only aired the first three episodes and it officially starts on monday with the fourth episode.

^^;

And on topic, whoo Pokemon is still on the top 10. Anime hyper

Yeah, I worded that wrong by mistake. But yes, the new DP season official starts at 7:30pm on monday. Glad to see Pokemon is still up there.
Pero

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Those shows for kids seem to be the counterpart for the fairly oddParents and such, dumb but funny.

I don't know of a show that lasted that long on US tv

Last edited by Pero on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:22 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Hells bells, AS keeps insisting their American stuff gets higher ratings than the anime.

That's cause they do.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! Time travel.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Locking for necroposting.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1