• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: High Speed! Free! Starting Days Sells 67,829 Tickets for 95.5 Million Yen

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:25 am Reply with quote
glad to see them doing well with original movies! Looks stunning! Cant wait to see how they handle A Silent Voice! KyoAni has such potential to be the "next" Ghibli (I mean that as in globally famous for its films not as in being literally the new Ghibli)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:37 am Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

High Speed! -Free! Starting Days- anime film sold 67,829 tickets for 95,546,400 yen (about US$774,000) in its opening weekend. It opened on Saturday on 120 screens

That seems a bit low for that many screens.
How many anime films usually get that many screens?

Anyways, the highest grossing animated film that weekend was....... I LOVE スヌーピー THE PEANUTS MOVIE at #3!
DillMan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:50 am Reply with quote
Wonder how long this will take for english speaking people to see. Probably not until a blu ray/dvd release in Japan that someone puts online and fan subs. Would be awesome if Crunchyroll or Funimation got the rights to put it up on their streaming services.
xyz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:55 am Reply with quote
There is an extra zero in the gross earnings for James Bond. I don't know about Japan box offices but comparing the ratio of gross earnings and screens with the number one movie on the list 007, Free! is doing very well considering all the competitions. And that's great news. I certainly can't wait to get my hands on it.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Murder, She wrote:

High Speed! -Free! Starting Days- anime film sold 67,829 tickets for 95,546,400 yen (about US$774,000) in its opening weekend. It opened on Saturday on 120 screens

That seems a bit low for that many screens.
How many anime films usually get that many screens?

Anyways, the highest grossing animated film that weekend was....... I LOVE スヌーピー THE PEANUTS MOVIE at #3!

It is extremely low
secondkas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, for an opening weekend, it's pretty low. But considering the other films showing and that the franchise has a niche market, it's actually not that bad. It was released on more screens than Tamako Love Story (24); surely KyoAni is aware of its projected sales to make such a move. Hopefully they at least break even overall.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
High Speed! Free! Movie with $780,000 on 120 screens for its opening weekend. Girls und Panzer Movie with $475,000 on 77 screens for its third weekend, a 10% drop from its second weekend.

Both are respectable, though I will admit I expected higher numbers for Free, particularly with that many screens showing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1