• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Obscene Manga Artist Ordered to Pay 300,000-Yen Fine

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quote
for all they made out of this, he got off pretty easy.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote
Well, looking at MY clients, a majority of them don't have $2,600 lying around. A lot of struggling artists don't either.
And it's probably an example to let others know they WILL do something vs "Yeah, it's a law, but they don't enforce it"
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I STILL don't get what the hell was so obscene about that manga.
Absurd Hero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.. Anyone have a sample?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Well, looking at MY clients, a majority of them don't have $2,600 lying around. A lot of struggling artists don't either.
And it's probably an example to let others know they WILL do something vs "Yeah, it's a law, but they don't enforce it"

I don't know how they do it in California(or in Japan for that matter), but here when you have a court fine or a court ruling that you can not pay, they put a lean on your paycheck until the balance is payed. So although it might not be an instant payment you do end up paying the whole thing usually.

Also depending on the crime(usually only ones where physical harm was done or was possible so I don't think that would apply here), if you can't pay, they will just throw you in jail instead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:44 pm Reply with quote
We can do a lien, but it's rarely a first option-the whole debtor's state/can't put people in jail for not paying. We have to prove they have the means to pay & are deliberately not paying. Usually they get a rvk/reinstate with the judge saying pay up (which they ignore, so we take them back to ct again & the judge reminds them again to pay...). Traffic court is more aggressive on the liens because they're usually smaller fines & being behind on child support can cost one one's driver's license & get liens placed. We usually save the liens for cases with victim restitution. Plus, as convicted felons, a lot of our people can't find work (or don't want to) so they work under-the-table jobs like construction or house cleaning which one can't attach.
So I guess about half do have jobs & are in various states of extremely well off(a few) to barely keeping that job due to their work ethics (calling in sick to party, whatever). Then there's the ones who are perfectly willing to live off someone else ranging from guys living off the girlfriend's welfare check to gals & guys basically getting room & board for doing stuff around the house. This is the group that rarely pays while the bottom end of the workers(the ones barely hanging on to their job) are sporatic.
And yeah, there are some well-off manga-kas in Japan, but others seem to be a bit worse of a situation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1