• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei: Bandai Namco Halts New Arcade Games Due to Arcade Slump

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#sukkar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:15 am Reply with quote
Interesting to note is that, despite the drop, Yokai Watch is still among the biggest brands for Bamco.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
So no more Gundam vs machines, really, the franchise is doing well as usual, they have a great anime out, the projected profits seem good, everything is selling well so far even the botched Extreme VS Force reached over 100k and not only that it got renewed interest 3 weeks later with the Free battle mode added and the 1.03 announcement. However, this could be a good time to port Maxi Boost ON to the PS4/Vita.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:27 am Reply with quote
This is sad to hear even if it is only games that would see the light of day in the Asian market.
scchan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
You have to give them credit for being frank in the decline of arcade gaming. I do enjoy visiting the Japanese arcades, and I will miss them. Love is one thing, but money still does the talking.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
Time to bring Tekken 7 home already.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
It seems that arcade gaming is about to reach the end of its era... With home, handheld, and mobile gaming being so commonplace nowadays compared to over three decades earlier, there's not much need for arcades anymore except for certain circumstances.
scchan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
It is strange - without arcades, there are probably no franchises like Street Fighter or Pacman.

I guess it is possible to go straight to console and home computing nowadays without arcade marketing. Activision-Blizzard did a good job in that. The death of arcades is inevitable.

It is like saying without the magic from Disney and Charles Chaplin in black and white, we may not have modern TV and film. However no one will watch new films and TV shows in silent black and white.

Anyway, if I am Bandai-Namco, I will try to sell the arcade business to someone else >_> Better offload this while someone still willing to pay some money for it.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
So no more Gundam vs machines, really, the franchise is doing well as usual, they have a great anime out, the projected profits seem good, everything is selling well so far even the botched Extreme VS Force reached over 100k and not only that it got renewed interest 3 weeks later with the Free battle mode added and the 1.03 announcement. However, this could be a good time to port Maxi Boost ON to the PS4/Vita.

The thing is, even as old as the base game is EXVS can keep going without being totally new for a long time yet. MBON is designed to have a lot of longevity to start with.
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
D*mn so Arcades are flopping even in Japan? That's a curious change of pace imo even with the online boom.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I heard about arcades declining in Japan, but this is the first I've heard of a company pulling out. That being said, arcades in North America are stil laround. You have the children's entertainment centers like Chuck E. Cheese's (though all of its competitors have been wiped out during the recession), and you have the relatively new barcades. One of them, 257, is owned by Bandai-Namco. Round 1 has also popped up recently as a small chain of vast arcades and seems to be the go-to place for fighting game fans and rhythm game fans.

I wonder if that's how the fate of arcades in Japan will be too. I can see all three types of those arcades being viable businesses in Japan for the foreseeable future.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I heard about arcades declining in Japan, but this is the first I've heard of a company pulling out. That being said, arcades in North America are stil laround. You have the children's entertainment centers like Chuck E. Cheese's (though all of its competitors have been wiped out during the recession), and you have the relatively new barcades. One of them, 257, is owned by Bandai-Namco. Round 1 has also popped up recently as a small chain of vast arcades and seems to be the go-to place for fighting game fans and rhythm game fans.

Round here, even the last of the "chain" shopping-mall arcades have disintegrated into prize machines, rhythm games, and a few 4-quarter "ride experience" games like Star Wars: Podracer, with faded screens and dodgy joysticks, that haven't been updated since the Millennium.
Specifically, since those are the only arcade games that require an actual physical presence in an arcade, and can't be done better on a console, where the new focus is all on cinematic storyline.

I mean, yeah, destroys my childhood as much as anybody's Sad , but the machines aren't classic-cars, and it's harder and harder to get the upkeep parts for the vintage enthusiasts.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I wonder if that's how the fate of arcades in Japan will be too. I can see all three types of those arcades being viable businesses in Japan for the foreseeable future.

The only issue with barcades is the fact that most of the revenue does not come from the arcades themselves but from alcohol sales.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Nevertheless, it gets people in there, which is what the business owners want. Most of the barcades I know about are run by people who really like arcade gaming, however. The one closest to me, 82, runs local leagues and seems to bring in a decent a mount from the arcade games though.

(For those unfamiliar with barcades, no, the are not all named after numbers.)
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

I'm not sure why you think it has anything to do with EXVS. The new EXVS machines are still planned to be ready for March 9th. The standard cycle for those is 2 years. Whatever they're stopping the development for is another franchise.
Joey Joaquin Dee Mendoza

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
Im glad that their gundam franchise is still doing great but if definitely seems that arcade style games are just not as popular anymore, with the current pc, mobile and consoles really becoming the big sellers in todays gaming market, we may have to accept the fact that their may not be a market for arcade gaming any more. *sigh*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2