• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE RPG Slated for U.S. Release on June 24

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:42 am Reply with quote
I went nuts for the excuse for why there won't be a spoken language localization "so you can experience the setting of Japan" or however it was said.

Its fine for players that are used to reading subtitles, but heaven help the wider audience that simply can't concentrate with a foreign language and having to read text during cut scenes.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:50 am Reply with quote
Foreign audio is not immersive, if anything it takes you out of the experience. You don't understand them so you fast forward through the text. As much as line delivery matters, in a video game, you want to get through text unless you understand it. This was a major problem I had with Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth. Unless the delivery is entertaining in itself like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, there's not much reason to stick around.

Then again, a dub costs money and it makes me glad we're getting this sooner.

FenixFiesta wrote:
I went nuts for the excuse for why there won't be a spoken language localization "so you can experience the setting of Japan" or however it was said.
That's Nintendo of America for you, they sugar coat things way too much despite knowing their target demographic.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
Really sad that it'll be sub only, figured the normal story segments would have been dubbed at least and thr songs left in japanese like the usual anime norm. Was one of my most anticipated games and this news will hurts a ton. Most likely they had planned to do as such based off their comments about it being a "challenge" to localize but I guess due to extremely poor sales in japan they went with the most cost effective method, a shame but understandable =/ (anyone who owns the jpn version know if there's a Voice volume slider for the story segments?)

Glad that it IS getting released though as that's always the most important thing and physical too which after NoA's handling of Fatal Frame 5 I was worrying a ton especially since it's sub only.

Probably the last Wii U game ill buy and hopefully NA gets a CE of some sort but who am I kidding it's NoA and even if there is one it'll sell out in 10 seconds and be placed 3x the price on ebay afterwards -grumble-

Last edited by DuchessBianca on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
Not being forced to listen to dubbed music, and those classic "Megaten" spell names are still intact. Good. My two biggest concerns with the localization have been put to rest.

Now I just need a confirmation of a physical release, a faithful script, and the knowledge that any changes from the Japanese version are just one or two minor things I don't really care about. Then I'll be a very happy customer. Fingers crossed...
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote
Japanese audio only? That's fine. Can't wait to see more of the overseas version. Very Happy

TMS/SMT. Intentional or not? Hmm.... Very Happy

ParaChomp wrote:
Foreign audio is not immersive.......

Gotta put that "In my opinion" at the start.

DRWii wrote:
Now I just need a confirmation of a physical release, a faithful script, and the knowledge that any changes from the Japanese version are just one or two minor things I don't really care about. Then I'll be a very happy customer. Fingers crossed...

Oh, you. Wink
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:35 am Reply with quote
Laughing heartily at those crying for the necessity of a dub. The game doesn't interest me at all yet I fail to see the issue in offering the original game in its entirety without its cast (foreign or not) replaced by new actors and its script heavily butchered for a Western standard.

A lack of a dub isn't the end of the world. A lack of a localization would have been the real problem and thankfully isn't. Good on Nintendo for this.
terminus24

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
The lack of a dub surprises me because I can't think of a Nintendo or SMT game that's come West that hasn't been dubbed, it just gives me the feeling that they don't have much faith in this one.

As long as they have subtitles for in-game audio as well as cutscenes, I'll probably be fine with this.
LinkSword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
It's sad that it takes Atlus a total flop in Japan in order to ''keep the Japanese audio intact'', aka ''we have no budget for dubbing''. It actually feels insulting that they sugarcoat it like ''experiencing the setting'' and so on when they've been denying fans that same thing for ages in pretty much all of their games.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:40 am Reply with quote
The fact that Tōkyō Mirage Sessions is being debuted sub-only is great news for those that don't care about having English audio, a bit of a bummer for those that were hoping to see an English version of it. The consolation for the latter: at least one won't have to contend with anymore wooden voice acting that brought down Fire Emblem Fates (thanks to an incompetent director).
DRWii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
LinkSword wrote:
It's sad that it takes Atlus a total flop in Japan in order to ''keep the Japanese audio intact'', aka ''we have no budget for dubbing''. It actually feels insulting that they sugarcoat it like ''experiencing the setting'' and so on when they've been denying fans that same thing for ages in pretty much all of their games.

In the case of this game, it's not Atlus' decision, it's Nintendo's. Even if the rumor that Atlus USA is handling the translation is true, Nintendo is still the one funding it; if they don't want to spend the money (or time/effort) to dub it, it won't get dubbed. If this were Atlus USA's decision, this would almost certainly just be like "Stella Glow," i.e. English-only dialogue with the music left undubbed.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Now now now you know the saying glass houses and stones, when the shoes on the other foot (dub only, XCX, Fates, God eater etc...) the threats, attacks, "no buy" etc... comments are out in full force and said people don't take too kindly to being told "The games getting localized be thankful" so let's not try and be a hypocrite Razz

Having said that both sides are guilty of this for everything, when the shoes on the other foot it's easy to boast and brag then when it isn't. Any game being localized regardless of which vocal track (s) are included while not ideal for one side is still better then no localization at all. I made it clear I'm my first comment I can't stand jpn va but I've never ONCE not bought a game because it lacked a dub. Far from me to say what's worth it to someone as both dub and sub fans both are highly passionate about their respective VA talent but while this comment section is pretty tame and calm it's best to remember how some on your side feels and expresses when YOUR preference is excluded before going into attack mode. (Talking to both sides here) Different opinions and tastes are great things but far, far too often said opinions try and be shoved as fact and then the 125645768 iteration of the dub/sub war commences and no one enjoys those messes haha
Sango chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
As the people kept telling us who wanted dual audio in any game that could've had it but didn't get it.

" Stfu, deal with it and suck it up. You should stop whining like little b***s and be grateful you are getting it at all."

Well people who are going No-dub=No buy, We now throw this back at you. I'm sorry that there isn't a Dub, but come on. I don't need to go through this again like I did with Tales of Hearts R.

We got the game we were asking for. I just pray that Nintendo isn't "Americanizing" this and is actually translating it. Well, atcually I pray it's Atlus translating this. If not well, I just hope they are on NoA's a** about not screwing with the script and taking things that don't need to be taken out and putting in memes.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
And let's just gloss over the big elephant in the room: try finding EIGHT voice actors who can sing competently. That would be a logistical NIGHTMARE for localization and casting. And of course there's having to rewrite all of the songs to fit with English, which is also a pain in the ass.

Anyway, going the Yakuza route is fine. It's no different than watching a foreign film in its original language and comes down to stylistic choice.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I think it's actually appropriate that this game have Japanese voice-only given the emphasis on the characters performances in-game and how the seiyuu do their own vocals for their songs Smile.

I wouldn't have had a problem with an english dub, given Atlus has a good record for those in my experience, but I think this works fine. Now I'm just hoping for a better localization then what Fates got Sad.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I wish Atlus was handling this. At least they wouldn't butcher the game like Nintendo will. Game is already confirmed censored for no reason at all. Thanks for nothing Nintendo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2