• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses Goblin Slayer! Dark Fantasy Light Novel, Manga Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingElbow

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Is that right of first refusal?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
This is getting popular for a LN series..they've been advertising it and now even licensed. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets an animated in the future..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Still waiting for a bunch of older series to eventually get published in english. Looks like it will never happen.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
By the time the first LN comes out here, we are probably looking at the 3rd or 4th vol. in Japan. At least with this, they are licensing early.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The series centers on a man who desires to become an "adventurer" whose motto is: "I won't save the world, I just kill goblins."

So it's Murder Hobo: The Novel?
Silver4000

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:52 am Reply with quote
To be honest, when I read "Goblin slayer", all I thought of was "A Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash".

I'm a bit disappointed now...
SpookyPie

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
Looks like it could be fun.

Silver4000 wrote:
To be honest, when I read "Goblin slayer", all I thought of was "A Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash".

I'm a bit disappointed now...

It'd be cool to see Gimrgar licensed at some point. Assuming you enjoyed Grimgar I think you shouldn't be disappointed however, looking on the bright side this might be something of similar genre to also enjoy, which in my opinion is always welcome.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Glad they can still license non-Kadokawa series.

Now I just wish they would license Maybe's Tales of Wedding Rings.
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
G S Palmer wrote:
Glad they can still license non-Kadokawa series.

Now I just wish they would license Maybe's Tales of Wedding Rings.

that would be nice.

but personally nothing would beat a date a live licensing.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
Nice to see that YenPress can get stuff from other publishers. Who those would be, I don't know. As, I assume that now, some publishers may not want to work with YenPress due to the 51% stake that Kadokawa owns.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:36 am Reply with quote
A user named on the Reddit thread "[News] Yen Press Licenses Goblin Slayer! Light Novel due December 2016" lists this Google Translation of the synopsis (I put spacings for clarity:
Quote:
"I can not save the world. I only kill the Goblin" overwhelming popularity of web work books of! "There is no use in addition to the Goblin," this is, that the man of only kill a small demon is "adventurer" story that wish.

"I can not save the world. I only kill the goblins" to the frontier of the guild, silver grade (ranking third place) in the only Goblin subdue ...... that there are a rare presence that Noboritsume up to. Turned adventurer, goddess officer for the first time crossed party became the pinch.

Those who helped it precisely, was a man called Goblin Slayer. He did not choose the means, continue to get rid of only a goblin spare no effort. Such he goddess officer to be swayed, thanks to receptionist, Rancher of childhood friend to wait for his daughter.

Meanwhile, listen to his rumor, girl Morihito (elf) appeared in the request -. Overwhelming popularity of the Web works, finally books of! Cochlea spider × God Noboru Natsuki is give dark fantasy, opening!
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
As, I assume that now, some publishers may not want to work with YenPress due to the 51% stake that Kadokawa owns.

Why? They're still one of the biggest publishers in NA. They're still the biggest publisher of light novels in the US. There's really no difference in the day-to-day operations of the company.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
Because, on the Japanese side of things, there could be publishers that don't want to license titles to YenPress due to this deal. It's as simple as that.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
From a publishing and translation standpoint, I could them doing a quicker release if they did it digitally. For example, assuming they may have translated by now, they release the 1st 2-3 chapters now and the rest next month. Then, if they released the same amount of chapters for the 2nd volume in July and the remaining vol. 2 chapters in August, they could potentially be 1 volume behind Japan by Dec. 31. However, type of practice is maybe still ahead of its time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1