• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars (TV)

Genres: Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi
Themes:

Plot Summary: 12 years ago, in the country of Rimguard, a big incident left an unsolved mystery that has begun to fade from people's memories. Time passes, and sisters Yui and Rena are living peacefully in the Enastria Empire. However, one day, a large mecha attacks Enastria. This day marks the turning point when the two girls get caught in the vortex of fate.
----------------------------------

Original TV anime Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I think the first episode was alright. We got cute girls piloting mecha.

I honestly felt like there was way too much happening from the first episode though so hopefully they'll flesh out the story as the plot feels rather confusing. Surprisingly, I also think the show has as really good soundtrack so far. So far, it has some potential and is an anime original so curious to see how it goes. Rena's the character that stood out the most for me so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xifeng.hu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
The premier didn't blow me away but I am a huge fan of mecha and it is rare enough to have a female protagonist in a mecha anime. I'll keep watching this but I don't expect it to be my favorite this season unless it improves a bit (I still enjoyed it enough that I don't expect it to be at the bottom of my list either though).
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
The mech fight looked great even if it was against what amounted to an anonymous mook, creating a sense of family between Rena and Yui worked well enough for a first episode with a possible issue for some viewership is that this is a by the books moe girl team up of sorts.

spoiler[The only thing that is slightly different than usual for such a relatively common mech battle set up in this age is that Yui is revealed to be Empress of the nation, depending on how the story wants to reveal on the how and why she is empress might make Regalia a continued intriguing watch.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I think the by the large response is that it is a little hard to get a read of. There are a lot of elements that seem to be thrown in, so much so that it feels like it is at risk of collapsing under itself, although it seems to so far be holding itself together if it can give some good explanations.

First this seems to be a mecha anime, but with young female protagonists, which despite the expectations it has as serious designs as other shows. Of note is the main character is Rena, an older than she looks character, who has me interested with how we might get her character of an adult despite her age being stuck as a small child. Her co-star is Yui, her not blood related younger sister, who by theme alone adds in some yuri elements, although other elements are not what you expect from that. The not blood related siblings who share romance or at least such tension, is probably more common than it should, but it is odd that it is for two girls, but against the expectation, it is actually pretty absent. There is some girl love going on here, but none of the sort of the pandering super cutesy shots, like neither like the stuff from madoka or other magical girl like things, to the more fanservice type shows like Valkyrie Drive, or quite like Riddle Story of Devil. There something not quite yuri despite the pairings. I am probably talking about it a bit much, especially with how the episode felt.

So far it looks good and all, and I am interested in all to know what is going on. Especially with the empress thing.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
I found the show to be fairly straight forward unlike most people it seems. Girl is robot, has adopted sister, shady people want to drag her back into their shady world.

I'm still a bit tentative about it, though. While I love me some mecha and these mecha are pretty cool, I'm not a fan of yuri. Maybe it'll just be limited to subtext and focus on the sisterly aspect of it, or maybe it'll go full out yuri later. Have to wait and see.

I did like how they established Rena's loli nature without the use of obvious short jokes. That line up of photos tells us all we need to know, and the way their apartment is modified to accommodate her are good minor details.

The episode dropped plenty of hints that Yui is some kind of celebrity (random people waving to her on the street) and when her full name was revealed it was clear she was some sort of royal. I am a bit surprised she's the full blown empress, though. Normally she would have just been a princess, even if she's the immediate ruler. Princesses are more marketable, just ask Disney.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
The episode dropped plenty of hints that Yui is some kind of celebrity (random people waving to her on the street) and when her full name was revealed it was clear she was some sort of royal. I am a bit surprised she's the full blown empress, though. Normally she would have just been a princess, even if she's the immediate ruler. Princesses are more marketable, just ask Disney.

You didn't watch until the end of the credits did you. If you had you would know exactly who Yui is and how who she is and how makes things very complicated.

I must say they did put a lot into the first episode so many of slandered elements and plot points, let's hope they will weave them in an enjoyable way.

While there were a lot of points touched on I can see that there is nothing that can't be condensed into a coherent story line, but that is dependent upon the writers.

The one thing they did right was how they handled the sister thing. As a westerner viewing anime a lot it has been an annoyance when you get the "he/she is not your DUN-DUN-DUUUUN!!! Brother/ Sister because of (fill in the blank)" . Being a family member is about relationships and has nothing to do with who or what they are. It made me very happy that they did it in the way they did.

As of now I am looking forward to the next episode.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Cyberd1 wrote:
You didn't watch until the end of the credits did you.

Uh, yeah, I did. I talked about how Yui is the empress unless there was something else in that scene I'm missing.
Cyberd1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Cyberd1 wrote:
You didn't watch until the end of the credits did you.

Uh, yeah, I did. I talked about how Yui is the empress unless there was something else in that scene I'm missing.

Sorry just skimmed apparently having a bad day I better check the other stuff I did this morning. Thanks for pointing that out.
Souther

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Though Yui's status was revealed by Kei before the post-credits scene, I kinda dismissed it for some reason, but it turns out it was true. Episode seemed to move a bit too quickly for my liking, not that coherent. However, the relationship between Rena and Yui is pretty sweet, plus mechs. I'm sticking around for this one.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

They really are messing a lot with the jokes. I mean, "3 sizes"? really lol?

Sadly, I think the show is losing its flavor there despite some of the action (still a bit gimmicky though). In the meantime, I guess this establishes Yui as the main empress and ruler of their country unless something changes. They really should of made more screen time for the mech action in the end. On the other hand, I like the music of the show namely the OP song.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:52 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 2:

They really are messing a lot with the jokes. I mean, "3 sizes"? really lol?

Sadly, I think the show is losing its flavor there despite some of the action (still a bit gimmicky though). In the meantime, I guess this establishes Yui as the main empress and ruler of their country unless something changes. They really should of made more screen time for the mech action in the end. On the other hand, I like the music of the show namely the OP song.

Budget, that said the idea of a magician performer mech was executed very nicely.

This is definitely a show targeted for a niche audience that enjoyed the likes of the Nanoha series or perhaps that "older demographic" that watches Precure (which I am a part of), for the general viewing audience if you are already groaning it would probably be time to abandon ship as the implied Yuri is no doubt going to double up (though I doubt this show will do anything implicit in the style of Prisma Illya 2wei).
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:14 am Reply with quote
Ep 1 & 2

First episode was ok. Not great, but it didn't totally bite and I liked the look of the mech. Maybe it could have been told a little more smoothly, but I was able to follow along without a problem. I like that Rena doesn't seem to have aged or grown, whether that means she is an artificial person or some kind of android. I think it could be an interesting angle to develop that your supposed younger sister is now bigger and physically older. I like Yuri and if mechs are done well I like them too, so I thought this could be fun.

Ok, they totally dropped the ball for me on this second episode. I found the 3 sizes comments annoying and if they continue with stupid crap like that they will lose me fast. Where is the security detail for the Empress? Throw that guy out of the press conference for opening his mouth please. Oh, and yes I found magician mech to be obnoxious. The episode felt a little stretched out, some shortcuts like the back of the head of a person when talking and long pause with the cabinet personnel. Guess they were saving money for the fight at the end. I was hoping for more along the lines of Simoun, but...whatever I'll give it another episode or two to see if they can right this ship before I bail out.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
I actually like how open Yui and Rena were to each other and the cabinet members about the situation. Normally these things would be kept a secret, and the challenge letter could have easily seen Yui going there by herself without telling anyone.

The mecha are cool in design and the battle was pretty neat, if a bit stilted at times. That said, what's the point of Yui even being there when Rena is the one in control? Looks like we might find out next week.
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the 3 sizes comment was pretty foolish, though they decided to use that question as a way to steer away from the hard questions. Of course, the guy who said it was one of the enemy pilots. The fight was pretty cool, I like the idea of a mech using magic tricks to fight. Again, the relationship between Yui and Rena is adorable. Still don't have enough details of the plot to see where this is going at the moment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4