• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rewrite Anime Premieres on July 2 With 1-Hour Episode

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:45 am Reply with quote
Oh nice just like Re:Zero, seems like they are trying new strategies with this 1h specials 1st ep Razz
Zaydgh123

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
Amazing news!
The new visual looks great.

Kotarou standing in front of the tree like that almost brought me to tears.
mercury_star

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:49 am Reply with quote
Okay, literary just finished Rewrite yesterday night and I'd say Im super excited with this news.
But dat ending song choice tho, Rewrite has some of the best ending song out of all VN I know, yet they doesn't use Love Letter, Canoe, Yami no Kanata e, Itsuwarai Kimi e but Havest Festa song?! In my opinion, these song are much better and meaningful than this ending song
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
I can think of two possible reasons to use not use the main ending themes. One would be the anime plans to include some content from Harvest Festa (not sure what). The other would be that because this anime's story is going to be a completely new story it's possible they chose not to use those endings because they were more specific to each of the routes.

That said, I don't believe for a second that we won't hear those songs at some point in the anime. Something to keep in mind is we don't know the full extent of Rewrite's adaption. It is entirely possible that this is the first of many adaptions of Rewrite into anime form, perhaps they will do every route in the game, in which case it makes sense to use them as they become appropriate. If that isn't the case, then I'm certain we will hear those songs as insert songs in the adaption at some point, or as a special ending theme separate from the main used ending theme. I can't count the times other Key works have used songs like that as insert tracks (personal favorite is Two Shadows from Clannad).
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
I really hope this also sets up for a likely 2 cour. Good news of course.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Niyari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:19 am Reply with quote
mercury_star wrote:
Okay, literary just finished Rewrite yesterday night and I'd say Im super excited with this news.
But dat ending song choice tho, Rewrite has some of the best ending song out of all VN I know, yet they doesn't use Love Letter, Canoe, Yami no Kanata e, Itsuwarai Kimi e but Havest Festa song?! In my opinion, these song are much better and meaningful than this ending song

they will probably use beyond the darkness later in the series. early on there's a lot of lighthearted stuff that goes on so "modest beginnings" as the first ending theme makes more sense.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:24 am Reply with quote
A 1-hour premiere is an interesting choice. At least is sounds better than doing a 2-parter with an awkward stopping point that could leave a sour taste.
msvitch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
when you see a 1 hour special then.......that must be SOMETHING BIG!
Re:Zero killed it with that one hour
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:01 am Reply with quote
Lobokendo wrote:
the other would be that because this anime's story is going to be a completely new story

Partially, from what I'm understanding. They specified the middle and end would be different.

As for # of cours.....this would require 30+ episodes to be done proplery, IMO. Just based on how long the VN was...and that's not including Harvest Fest.

As many people might've noticed, despite being a massive KEY fan I was not hyped for this since they announced crappy 8-Bit was making it. That ANN interview with KEY/VisualArts' changed that quite a bit. They seem far more involved in this than I originally thought so I'm finally getting hyped...but I still don't want to get my hopes up. 8-Bit isn't known for meeting my expectations at all.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Lobokendo wrote:
the other would be that because this anime's story is going to be a completely new story

Partially, from what I'm understanding. They specified the middle and end would be different.

As for # of cours.....this would require 30+ episodes to be done proplery, IMO. Just based on how long the VN was...and that's not including Harvest Fest.

As many people might've noticed, despite being a massive KEY fan I was not hyped for this since they announced crappy 8-Bit was making it. That ANN interview with KEY/VisualArts' changed that quite a bit. They seem far more involved in this than I originally thought so I'm finally getting hyped...but I still don't want to get my hopes up. 8-Bit isn't known for meeting my expectations at all.

Yeah, everyone has noticed... And everyone has repeatedly pointed out to you for months on end that 8-bit isn't writing this, they are an animation studio.
How you managed to ignore everyone for so long is one of the great mysteries of our time.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

My guess is that Rewrite will be 2 cours long at most. I suppose 30+ episodes would be needed if they wished to adapt EVERY SINGLE ROUTE, but I doubt they'll do that. Frankly, it seems to me like the best choice: not only it would require the show to spin back the clock every so often (a la Yosuga no Sora), it would also be a tonal mess (this is a flaw that the original VN had as well, but they managed to hide it thanks to the ever-so-convenient structure of a visual novel, which basically allows people to consider the game a series of interconected short stories instead of a full product). By placing every episode one after another, IMPLYING that there's some straightforward continuity to the story, people might get irked the wrong way at how spoiler[a route might focus on a very Key-ish romance while the other is literally Fate/Stay Night.]

Next, if you want to make a better guess at the quality of the product, you should look at the staff involved instead, as anime studios usually don't have any in-house staff, and simply hire people as they see fit for their projects. In this case, the director's only notable works are the Grisaia series and Kinmoza. The latter's direction isn't stellar, but it wasn't a show that needed a fantastic director to begin with. As for the former... well, I certainly disagree with some of the choices the director made, but not enough to turn me off completely from Rewrite.

You could take as a good indicator, however, that Tanaka Romeo and KAI are collaborating with the scripts, meaning that some of the biggest minds behind the original VN are probably the ones bringing this "new scenario" we keep hearing about.

As for the ending song... yeah, they'll probably change it to a more meaningful song from the VN once shit hits the fan. I expect to hear CANOE close to the end of the show, just like in the game.

Last edited by Via_01 on Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Jakerams

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

My guess is that Rewrite will be 2 cours long at most. I suppose 30+ episodes would be needed if they wished to adapt EVERY SINGLE ROUTE, but I doubt they'll do that. Frankly, it seems to me like the best choice: not only it would require the show to spin back the clock every so often (a la Yosuga no Sora), it would also be a tonal mess (this is a flaw that the original VN had as well, but they managed to hide it thanks to the ever-so-convenient structure of a visual novel, which basically allows people to consider the game a series of interconected short stories instead of a full product). By placing every episode one after another, IMPLYING that there's some straightforward continuity to the story, people might get irked the wrong way at how spoiler[a route might focus on a very Key-ish romance while the other is literally Fate/Stay Night.]

Next, if you want to make a better guess at the quality of the product, you should look at the staff involved instead, as anime studios usually don't have any in-house staff, and simply hire people as they see fit for their projects. In this case, the director only notable works are the Grisaia series and Kinmoza. The latter's director isn't stellar, but it wasn't a show that needed a fantastic director to begin with. As for the former... well, I certainly disagree with some of the choices the director made, but not enough to turn me off completely from rewrite.

You could take as a good indicator, however, that Tanaka Romeo and KAI are collaborating with the scripts, meaning that some of the biggest minds behind the original VN are probably the ones bringing this "new scenario" we keep hearing about.

As for the ending song... yeah, they'll probably change it to a more meaningful song from the VN once shit hits the fan. I expect to hear CANOE close to the end of the show, just like in the game.
Well from the quotes from the previews it's hard to think they wont adapt the full thing. It's also not really possible to mix and mash each of the routes because it would destroy the entire series and completely eliminate Moon and Terra purpose. The new route is likely just an expansion to fix a few problems with a certain character.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
Jakerams wrote:
Well from the quotes from the previews it's hard to think they wont adapt the full thing. It's also not really possible to mix and mash each of the routes because it would destroy the entire series and completely eliminate Moon and Terra purpose. The new route is likely just an expansion to fix a few problems with a certain character.

Oh, they'll probably adapt a lot of it, but mixing and mashing each of the routes is just as dangerous as just clumsily adapting everything by-the-book without caring about the tonal differences or butchering the narrative.

Adapting a VN is a tricky business thanks to the nature of the medium. Shows like Clannad and Little Busters might kinda pull it off because you can basically turn the romance into friendship and work around each individual route that way, but it's much different in a game like Rewrite, where each route involves a different game changer spoiler[(and sometimes even world-ending scenarios)].

They did say, however, that things would be pretty different by the middle and end. I don't know exactly WHAT they mean by this, but it might involve completely over overhauling the plot in exchange for a new, continuous scenario that'll work much better in a TV format while still including large chunks of the original material (keeping much of the parts hinted by the quotes from the previews in).

But no one can say for sure, really. This is all speculation. We really can only wait to see how they work around this problem.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
If they do Common, New Route, then Moon and Terra, they could do it in 26 episodes. Maybe.

If they tried to adapt all of the routes in that time though, well, I guess we could laugh at the trainwreck. Even 52 episodes would be pushing it.
Killua_Godspeed14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm so hyped because the people behind the Grisaia Trilogy are coming together with the people behind CLANNAD to make this. The big name for me is Jun Maeda. He's the male counterpart to Yuki Kajiura.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2