• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Shirobako Prime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Think I side with Team Kuromi. Shirobako, despite being a mostly enjoyable & more substantive watch, also felt like watching a longer, smugger, cuter version of the same idea. Indeed by the end what was getting me through was imagining the increasingly surreal & "dramatic" things happening as the manifestation of Aoi's mental breakdown due to work stress.

edit: Also, I suppose my opinion on Shirobako is a bit clouded by the "I know how the anime industry works because I watched Shirobako" comments & articles that still pop up a year later.

Last edited by Lemonchest on Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Daichi is amazing to meet in person and is topped only by Nabeshin in terms of the level of outgoing nature for Japanese guests I've met. I loved that in the middle of one of his panels he just started talking about how he picked up a katana in the dealer room and then went out in the middle of the audience and showed the various stances, sword draws, and sword attacks that he knew. He's an amazing director of course, but it was just so great to have someone so completely open and carefree to his fans.

In terms of Kuromi vs Shirobako, I much prefer the latter for providing a much more in depth view of the process involved and for the larger, more fleshed out cast. Kuromi is a fun OVA to watch, whereas Shirobako was a fully captivating experience for me for most of its run.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen Kuromi, but I did watch Shirobako. I enjoyed Shirobako, but over time it got tedious at certain points. My favorite character was definitely the Director.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

edit: Also, I suppose my opinion on Shirobako is a bit clouded by the "I know how the anime industry works because I watched Shirobako" comments & articles that still pop up a year later.

I was just recommending the show to my sister since my BDs just came in for it. As the subject matter I'm known in my circle for. But I can also point out several people in my circle that have become Industry Gurus since watching. For many people that enjoy Shirobako, it was a stepping stone on the fun journey that is enjoying the industry. For others it resembled an end point. Like clocking out at work. They punch their time card with Shirobako and are going home, and those visitors are souring the taste of these kinds of shows.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
I've always loved Akitaro Daichi; Jubei-Chan was among the first anime series I really got into (just look at my username), and it was certainly the first show to introduce me to how hilarious surrealist anime humor can be while still delivering on drama and action. Would be great to meet him in person one day.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote
When I first heared about Shirobako, my firs comment was saying how it sounded like Animation Runner Kuromi. The humour in Kuromi felt a bit like a Shinichi Watanabe show.

I wonder what he didn't like about the 80s Osomatsu-Kun.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:14 am Reply with quote
I hope they do another "Animation Runner Kuromi" or "Shirobako." I'd love to see them poke fun at U.S./Japanese co-productions like "Thundercats" or "Inspector Gadget,"stuff like that. I'd love to see the American producer sent to Japan to oversee the show as kind of a friendly but odd individual which the Japanese animators like but think he's a bit of a weirdo. I'd love to see that,wouldn't you?
scineram

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:51 am Reply with quote
Wait, he directed Tonkatsu DJ Agetarō? Now that is awesome! If Kurumi is at least half as good as that I need to see that as well.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:25 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I wonder what he didn't like about the 80s Osomatsu-Kun.

I wonder too. The standard criticism you hear is that Iyami and Chibita took over the show, but as I understand that happens in the later parts of the manga. (Sort of a Snoopy and Peanuts issue.)
Brutannica

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say the cover image for this article has to be one of the best ever.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1