• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA to Release Tokyo Metro Explorers

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
$55 for forty minutes' worth of material. Why won't these people just hurry up and die?
Oronae

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
$55 for forty minutes' worth of material. Why won't these people just hurry up and die?

Haha... wow you certainly seem to have an awful lot of hate for them don't you Ryusui? (Not that I don't entirely agree with your sentiments here.) As soon as I saw this article I KNEW you'd have to post in it. I swear, every time there's a thread about Bandai Visual you're in there almost immediately calling out for their deaths/financial ruin. I bet you've probably drafted a particularly long reply for this weeks Hey Answerfans question about their practices :p.

Oh well, I can't say I don't agree with you so carry on I guess....
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:22 am Reply with quote
I'm wary of them mentioning Otomo's other films, because that might mean having to pay $100 just to see the live-action Mushishi. The fact that Neo Tokyo has been discontinued
almost makes me certain they have that one, too... I hope they don't have Robot Carnival, either, knock on wood...
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:34 am Reply with quote
Pricing aside, anytime I hear of Otomo's manga being adapted I get excited. So I am glad that this is at least making it's way over. Now if he would only decide to go back and make Domu my life would be complete. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:35 am Reply with quote
I'd rather he finish Legend of Mother Sarah.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:51 am Reply with quote
I didn't realize that had been adapted to an anime. Either way I say Domu because it is practically perfect for a movie length story. Instead of say, craming 1800 pages into one sitting. Looks like from the encyclopedia that Tokyo Metro Explorers is another one shot, so this should be perfect as well. Although I admit I know nothing about TME. Has anyone here read it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:32 am Reply with quote
It hasn't been adapted into an anime, but I want him to finish it anyway.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:41 am Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:

The Japanese DVD release, with the list price of ¥7,140 (US$62), is set on November 23, less than three weeks before the US release (on December 11). Even with the 25% off offered by Amazon.jp, the price is still ¥5,355 (US$47). If Bandai Visual USA release the DVD at the "normal" price range around US$20-30, almost every potential Japanese buyer would simply wait two weeks and reverse import it from the US.

Next time, if you want to dish out some harsh and rude comment, be sure to do some homework first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:48 am Reply with quote
dormcat: You're assuming the Japanese would be buying it in the first place. After all, it doesn't appear to feature moe. Rolling Eyes
Shale

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:57 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Ryusui wrote:

The Japanese DVD release, with the list price of ¥7,140 (US$62), is set on November 23, less than three weeks before the US release (on December 11). Even with the 25% off offered by Amazon.jp, the price is still ¥5,355 (US$47). If Bandai Visual USA release the DVD at the "normal" price range around US$20-30, almost every potential Japanese buyer would simply wait two weeks and reverse import it from the US.

Next time, if you want to dish out some harsh and rude comment, be sure to do some homework first.

I can't see how that changes anything from the buyer's perspective. No matter how much I might sympathize with the company's motives for overcharging me (and seeing as this is right in line with BV's price points on titles that have been out in R2J for years, I'm not brimming with sympathy), that doesn't change the fact that they're putting out a product at twice the price of their competition for half the content. It takes more than an economic sob story to make a bad buy stop being a bad buy.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:13 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
I can't see how that changes anything from the buyer's perspective.

Okay, let's have a poll here:
  1. I want BV USA and/or other American anime distributors to ship R1US releases at the same time or almost at the same time (i.e. less than a month) of respective R2JP releases, even with comparably high prices, shorter video contents per disc (usually less than an hour for a single layer disc), and no dubbing.

2. I want cheaper price and more episodes per disc, so I'm willing to wait several months or more (sometimes it takes years) for a domesticated R1US release.

3. I don't give it a damn for whatever reason BV USA has. I just want the domestic DVD releases fast AND cheap. BV USA should use this aggressive marketing, even with the risk of losing its customers in Japan and being sued like Apple's iPhone price drop case.

What would be your choice?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:38 am Reply with quote
I definitely vote for option 2. My opinion is that the main reason for me to buy the domestic version is to save some money. There is little reason for me to wait for the Blu-ray editions for Patlabor which will most likely be $80 when I can order the Japanese versions (also region A and with dubs/subs) now for the same price. I really don't mind waiting a few months (or years) for a domestic version, especially if it is cheaper. I'm sure Bandai Visual USA will still charge $80 for Avalon, Patlabor or other HD titles even if they are released years after the already existing Japanese versions. Why did they charge so much for their release of Gunbuster 2?

If I want to spend the extra cash for an early release I will buy the region 2 version. If a company besides BVUSA gets the rights I can have the option to wait for a cheaper release. With BVUSA not only do I not get the choice in price, but also don't get the dubs. I agree that BVUSA is doing a great disservice to fans.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:46 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I definitely vote for option 2. My opinion is that the main reason for me to buy the domestic version is to save some money.

I expected most people would pick option 2. Very few titles, if any, are worthy to be released simultaneously with 200% price tags, and the most enthusiastic fans would buy R2JP anyway. If waiting 6-12 months means 50% off I'd say most people would choose to wait patiently. Personally I don't think BV USA's strategy is a clever move.
shirou.sama

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:53 am Reply with quote
I saw this earlier this year at Anime Expo. BVUSA had shown it to a selected group on the last day. I liked it.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I don't give it a damn for whatever reason BV USA has. I just want the domestic DVD releases fast AND cheap. BV USA should use this aggressive marketing, even with the risk of losing its customers in Japan and being sued like Apple's iPhone price drop case.

Unreasonable as it may seem, that IS what it will take if they are to be taken seriously in this market. Americans WILL NOT PAY $55 for a 40-minute DVD. If they wait, the content will be pirated into the ground. Either BV is going to have to lower their Japanese pricing, deal with the imports (as they DO make a sale either way), or find another way to deal with the issue.

The price of a global economy means that you lose control over strictly sectioned territories. The Japanese companies have to understand that and adapt or they will never successfully extend themselves past their native country.

(Why would they be sued? The Apple iPhone case has nothing to do with this at all, and those are mostly frivolous anyway.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3