• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 10 Pokemon You Don't Want to Become Real

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:43 am Reply with quote
Nice list. I stand by the opinion that Yamask is one of the saddest and most screwed up Pokemon ever created. It's a human now forced to become a Pokemon, but not only does it carry a (sometimes crying) mask that looks their human face, they also retain their human memories. If you catch one, you're basically training a tortured human soul who lives its days in despair and yearning of time come to pass. And you find a ton of them in the desert ruins.

For one ever more screwed up, there's also Phantump. It's basically a dead tree that was taken over by the spirit of a child who died after they were abandoned in the woods.

For the list, I would have picked Hypno over Drowzee. Drowzee may steal your dreams via nose, but Hypno stalks its prey and uses its pendulum on them so they would be sleepy enough he could eat their dreams where they stand. Oh, and some of its Pokedex entries state that there's a Hypno out there that kidnapped a child that it hypnotized. Nope.

And while they do get mentioned, I wouldn't want Drifblim around either. Looks like an innocent balloon, but it can drag your child to hell if they're not paying attention.

Pokemon is a kid-friendly game. The Pokemon world is a safe place for 10-year olds to go off on their own, we swear.

Last edited by DigitalScratch on Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:47 am; edited 2 times in total
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
Man, just think of all of the times that Muk hugged Ash...

And I've always been creeped out by the Lake trio most of all. Just touching them turns you into an emotionless, blind, mute shell of a human being... urrrgh.
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Wow I never knew Glalie was sorry scary not just being able to freeze moisture but you can't melt it either? That's basically a loss to everything that breaths... ironically of course picked Ice as my favourite type
peno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
How dare you to include Houndoom, one of my most favourite Pokémon Twisted Evil
And, I am surprised that you included Muk, but not Garbodor. That Pokémon and its pre-evo is simply just walking clod of trash. I know I wouldn't want to ever meet it, should Pokémon be real Very Happy
And I personally would've included every single electric-type Pokémon. Seriously, I wouldn't want to deal with creatures that could emmit 100.000 volts or even more. That's way too dangerous. Heck, even 25.000 volts can be deadly if it hits you (and that's the train power supply system in most of eastern Europe as well as Italy, Portugal, UK and Finland, and many accidents were there with people even getting close to train electric wire). Anything more than that? I don't even want to think about that.

Last edited by peno on Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
danpmss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
You would need an starlite suit to even approach a Magcargo, imagine train and befriend one.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
...yeah pokemon is really all kinds of messed up.

I remember when i was a kid and i played crystal(was it crystal?) and i read the pokedex entry for pidgey and it said it ate bugs then i realized there were no 'bugs' in the pokemon world but 'bug pokemon' and i was horrified.

But seriously though pokemon is a terrifying world where a perhaps a psychotic kid can just say f*ck life and go catch pokemon that will assist him in ending all life on the planet, then grab a dexoys and go search for other planets to end.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Can't believe XIII beat out XII and XIV (and I liked XIII). Neither of its sequels are there, but I don't remember if they were a part of the poll or not.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Hahah. I always knew that Animal Crossing was dark despite its kids friendly atmosphere, and I heard there were segments of Pokemon that were actually dark but good lord I didn't realize it was that bad, like the little cactus plant thing or the soul eater.

Then there is the other kind of thing that doesn't get mentioned, pokemon are the animals of the world so anytime you eat meat you are eating a pokemon as well.

Although I am surprised Mewtwo is not on there, he is basically the most powerful pokemon in the game and an emo with deadly psychic powers.

Regarding the rankings, I dont have too big of a problem with the top five other than 7 being a little too high; but the rest, FFV should be higher, its a really good game, and 13 should be dead last.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I have no interest in any of the Pokemon games, but I did enjoy the early anime.

I have watched all of the Indigo League episodes twice and should soon start Orange Islands for the second time.
The only Pokemon on the list that I am familiar with are Muk and Drowzee, and I agree that I would not want either of them to be real.
After reading about some of these other Pokemon I am thinking that maybe I should not go any farther into the anime. The Johto League sets are reasonably cheap on Amazon, maybe I will try them.

I will definitely be using this article for reference material.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
If one were to visit a home that's incredibly smelly with fumes and having garbage spread around the kitchen, it's a sure sign of a Koffing and/or Weezing roaming around trying to power-up their internal gases. Now those are two poisonous Pokémon a homeowner would not want near their vicinity. Cool
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, reading the descriptions of the creatures in the games, I feel that each and every one of them would be dangerous IRL.

Also, to those that dissed FFVIII and FFXIV, may your fried chocobo burn!
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
At least this list has every generation up to 6th.

SnowyLightning44 wrote:
Wow I never knew Glalie was sorry scary not just being able to freeze moisture but you can't melt it either? That's basically a loss to everything that breaths... ironically of course picked Ice as my favourite type

No wonder Ash gets frozen by it all the time. At least it's very realiable in battle (in the anime).
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I haven't played the fifth generation games, but I heard Yamask are found all over the area that's supposed to be the Pokemon world's version of Ground Zero. Is that true? That just makes them worse...

I'm glad that Jake didn't just fill this list with Ghost Pokemon, but Banette is the one that made me like "yeah, I'm glad this Pokemon didn't exist when I was 10." I was the kid that got super-attached to my stuffed animals and had trouble giving them up even when I got older. My generation got enough of the pack-rat mentality from The Brave Little Toaster and Toy Story, we don't need some evil former doll that hunts down the kids who threw it away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Unbelievable that Ash owns two dangerous Pokemon from this list. Confused
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I think that universally there is not a single Pokemon that is "just okay". Just about every single one would be terrifying or disturbing or dangerous, in some form or fashion. "What about adorable Pichu?" You mean the baby rodent that can't control its ability to shoot electricity so might either electrocute you to death, if not otherwise the many electrical devices in your home? "How about Chansey? Nurse Joy's the world over have them help at hospitals". Right... the thing that carries an explosive egg, and is strong enough to accidentally snap your bones if it isn't paying enough attention.

I don't know that I ever had a favorite type, but my favorites often ended up being Dragon, Flying, or Psychic, Dark a little later.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3