• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Handa-kun (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote

Handa-kun (TV)

Genres: Comedy, School, Slice of Life
Themes:

Plot Summary: Handsome teenage calligrapher Sei Handa is worshiped by all his classmates as an aloof superstar--too bad Sei's inherent negativity and neurotic personality make him believe that everyone actually hates him.
----------------------------------

Prequel of Barakamon. The manga is really funny and I expect a lot of humor from it. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:48 am Reply with quote
For future reference, I am placing the link for this thread under Barakamon as a prequel / spin-off in the Discussion Index.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

That was fun, loved the way they introduced some of the humor and satire. Then, we got the debut of Handa-kun in the flesh. I find the way that he misunderstands others to be very amusing so far. In general, I think the show has good humor so far especially with the character interactions and dialogues.

Animation quality feels slightly inferior compared to Barakamon but I'm okay with it. Definitely a fun show so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I did not even realise this was technically a Barakamon prequel until looking in this thread, that Handa is that Handa, the guy who later spoiler[punches an old critic in the face]. It does make me feel a little better now that I can say that I know Handa's personality, and he is a character I like.

Despite all of that I think the first episode was a bit too meta, setting up the joke of the characters missing the first episode and trying to make their own series, and culminating in going off against critics who do nothing but insult work. It felt a bit like an excuse for trying to remove criticism. But, I think that last bit actually kind of works on a meta level now that I think about it, Barakamon literally started off him being sent somewhere after having a bad reaction to his art being criticised.

Clearly this is going to be a different sort of thing, many of the parts that made Barakamon so great are missing. I do think that at least a main character not realising he is great is better than the too perfect Sakamoto.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

The comparisons to Sakamoto will be even stronger after this, what with the turning enemies into followers thing. However, I much prefer the way Handa-kun handles this because instead of just admiring Sakamoto's problem-solving brilliance from the outside, we get Handa's interior view of things too, and the huge discrepancy between his pov and others' is what's so delightful.

I still don't know why that girl's head is bigger than Handa's entire torso. But her reactions to her insensitive friend are great.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

LOL, the misunderstandings of this series...so funny. I love how Handa is trying to avoid everyone by creating a barrier around himself but leaving the impression that he is "mysterious" to others (which makes others attracted to him). I think perhaps even Reo (the model guy) realized it at the end.

The OP song is alright, quite stylistic for this show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I still don't know why that girl's head is bigger than Handa's entire torso. But her reactions to her insensitive friend are great.

I think that the strange character design is meant to exaggerate to get across that she is not the prettiest, although it does feel a bit extreme. The kind of realisations that her friend is being a bit.... mean, at times despite her cute appearance, is an interesting element.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I'm hearing it right, but does the OP scream "JUST KILL ME"?
That's kind of how I feel about this series. Awful comedy, generic premise, wasted potential considering the author and how it's a spin-off of a great series.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

We definitely need more Akane in this season, he's funny with his personality. Also, I kinda like how Handa doesn't even realize that others are seeing him as a trusted friend yet he doesn't recognize it himself. The guy is about as dense as a black hole.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Handa cannot cook. At least someone was realising that he was feeling down and such. The rumours being so different about him are pretty funny. Also him giving a full eraser to avoid being insulted, how it negatively affected him, but it made him look princely.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Those of us familiar with Barakamon should have realised straight away that the mysterious girl was Seishuu's mother. It still made the whole overreaction of all the girls kind of funny, and the change up of him being hated (for a lack of "purity"). The crazy eraser girl was especially funny, as serious as a suicide threat it, her crazy eyed thing is funny.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Such a priceless episode lol. I think the girls should do more research about Handa's family before jumping to conclusions, especially that Miyo girl. I gotta say though, that song performance with the erasers were pretty amusing and "emotional".

The other segment with the Handa impersonator was amusing too. Tbh, he actually does look like Handa except those beaver teeth.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:23 am Reply with quote
Oh Japan, where a death threat and a suicide note can be easily confused.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Oh Japan, where a death threat and a suicide note can be easily confused.
Well, only if your handwriting's awful Smile I never even thought of ね and ぬ as easily confusable characters (at least not on the level of ソ and ン or 土 and 士).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, you're the language maven - in what other languages could even bad handwriting create that confusion? I suppose they exist, but I'd think it's a rarity since neither is exactly a message you want to be unclear about. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3