• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What translation strategies do fansubbers use?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danielle Zimny

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
To the fansub community:
I am currently undertaking an Honours Research Assignment at Stellenbosch University in South Africa, investigating the differences and similarities between professionally produced subtitles and those produced by fansubbers (in both cases from Japanese to English). I have two particular questions in mind that would aid my research and that I hope could be answered by fans and fansubbers alike. No one is obligated to answer these questions, and any answers will be used strictly for research purposes and kept anonymous. The questions are:
a) Are most fansubbers from/live in Japan or the US?
b) Do they tend towards domesticating* or foreignizing* strategies when subtitling?
*The term domesticating refers to a translation strategy in which the text is made to conform as closely as possible to the target language culture (in the case of fansubbing, English), whereas foreignizing on the other hand aims to retain features of the source language culture (in this case, Japanese).
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Just FYI, your "domesticating" term is referred to as "localizing" when you're talking about anime/manga/games/etc. Making it "local" to the people it's being translated for.

[edit]

Now I remember the other word I was thinking of this morning. Your "foreignizing" is closest recognized as "transliteration." Translating it literally.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:46 am Reply with quote
This really isn't a site where you'll find a lot of fansubbers. At one time I would have directed you to AnimeSuki, but they don't support fansubbers any more either. Streaming has pretty much brought an end to most fansubbing, and previously well-known groups like Shinsen, Ureshii, A-Kraze, and the like have all disappeared. You might ask your question of the folks at Live-eviL, a serious group that now specializes in older, unlicensed shows.

"Fansubbing" today consists mostly of ripping off the subtitles from Crunchyroll or Funimation and slapping them on a rip of the original broadcast as a certain "horrible" group does.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1