• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Doamygar-D Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
Well,I checked and I saw that it's currently with Funimation so we may be getting a dub of this show in the near future. And,who knows? It just might succeed here.
erith81

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
I hate to agree with this review (only because I loved this little show), but it literally hits every nail on the head. This is not something for the vast majority of anime fans (for the average viewer, I'd say don't waste your time and watch an episode of something else). But if you read this review and though it might be worth a look, I say go for it (and for those select few, bump that review up to a solid "B").
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Watched this when it was streaming on Funi a while back, laughed myself silly each week.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I might've bumped the grade up a (half-)notch, but overall I agree that the review is fair; as more or less the exact target audience for this show (someone who gets wagashi regularly from a local vendor and loves ancient giant robot shows), though, I absolutely adored it.

The high point by far, for me, is Robert Baldwin's performance as "Robert" - if you've ever wondered what Japanese people think the American accent sounds like, listen to any of the last few episodes of this show; he does an amazing job of hamming it up in his role.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Well,I checked and I saw that it's currently with Funimation so we may be getting a dub of this show in the near future. And,who knows? It just might succeed here.
If they do I hope they give it one of those old old dubs, the ones they had in the 60s and 70s. The ones where the actors shout corny dialogue, and the script sounds like it was written for a 5 year old.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
The high point by far, for me, is Robert Baldwin's performance as "Robert" - if you've ever wondered what Japanese people think the American accent sounds like, listen to any of the last few episodes of this show; he does an amazing job of hamming it up in his role.

Absolutely, it's pretty amazing. My wife and I were really impressed that the little show got someone who was a native English speaker and actually skilled in voice acting (and hamming it up) to do that voice. It's over the top, to be sure, but it's also over the top in correct ways.

If you enjoyed his voice, by the way, you really need to check Sayaka Ohara's role as Leonora Nakiri in episode 8 and 9 of the season season of Shokugeki no Soma. She does an absolutely amazing job of American-accented Japanese. Apparently she's fluent in English. It's a little bit wrong since the character is supposed to be Danish, but it's easily the best and most realistic intentionally foreigner accented Japanese I've heard from a native Japanese speaker in an anime.

Another interesting case was Maxwell Powers in Kabenari of the Iron Fortress, where he voiced a character who pretty clearly had a foreign accent, but not over the top and extremely fluent, and no character reacted to it at all.
davecabrera
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
I came here explicitly hoping Baldwin would come up so I could post about his master turn as Kyoryu Cyan in Kyoryuger. It's impossible to get footage from a super sentai on Youtube because Toei is super-active with takedowns but jeez, the guy's amazing every time he shows up. Recognized him by voice in Doamaygar and was really pleasantly shocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBgaq5qhkf0
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:

That seems pretty unlikely. I suppose Funimation could start doing like Sentai and rerelease it later with a dub if it does well, but it seems like they have their hands full these days, and a sub-only disc from Funimation is usually indicative of low streaming numbers.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
No dub? Absolutely unacceptable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1