• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: J-Novel Club Licenses Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, I Saved Too Many Girls and Caused the Apocal

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I got excited about Grimgar LN in English til I read that it will be digital only.
This is one sale that series will not be getting from me.
For books it's physical or nothing for me, since I like to have them all on my bookshelves in a collection.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Nyghtwynd wrote:
I got excited about Grimgar LN in English til I read that it will be digital only.
For books it's physical or nothing for me, since I like to have them all on my bookshelves in a collection.

Same. This is cool for people who like to read these types of things digitally, but it's not for me. Hopefully one day some one will come along and release both of these in print form because I've wanted to read Grimgar since watching the anime and "I Saved Too Many Girls and Started the Apocalypse" sounds like a hilarious read based off that premise.
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Nyghtwynd wrote:

Same. This is cool for people who like to read these types of things digitally, but it's not for me. Hopefully one day some one will come along and release both of these in print form because I've wanted to read Grimgar since watching the anime and "I Saved Too Many Girls and Started the Apocalypse" sounds like a hilarious read based off that premise.

Yeah. Like maybe a partnership with say Yen Press or One Peace Books. The later I am very happy with them releasing Rising of the Shield Hero
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
It's a little disappointing that much like Occultic;Nine, Grimgar is currently going to be digital-only, but I am most definitely glad that someone has licensed the novel. It's a great story, and it'll be nice to continue past the content of the first season, as I highly doubt Grimgar justified a second season - despite being one of my top series of this year...

Other than that, I'm also quite intrigued with the other license they announced. I Saved Too Many Girls and Caused the Apocalypse sounds the right amount of ridiculous and could actually be a neat twist/self-indulgent take on the harem genre.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Nyghtwynd wrote:
I really wanted to own a physical copy of this one too, damn.
I'm at least hoping the project (J-Club) won't suddenly die and we're left with no translations for Grimgar in case the fan translators drop it (which they likely will) and they don't pick it up again after... they have already been struggling a bit lately too, really wish someone more reliable picked this one up.
shuusei

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
It'd be nice if they started a partnership or at least started doing physical releases... they now have multiple titles i'd love to own from them...
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty excited when I saw the 'Grim...' hint in the website so I'm glad it turned out be this, although I do share the same displeasure as everyone above at it not having any indication of being available in physical format but just having in English is good enough for me.
Also I'm glad that the J-Novel Club managed to expand their library a little more and if they carry on releasing/licensing novels at the same rate it will definitely be a worthwhile service
zeopower6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Awesome that Grimgar got licensed... but no physical? Sad
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
From J-Novel Club's FAQ:

Quote:
Will you make print versions of your books?

J-Novel Club is just an internet startup, and we don't have any distribution or printing capabilities currently. In order to bring you the greatest variety of content at a reasonably fast pace, it would be very difficult to handle print editions with our current business model. However for series which are successful, we will definitely look in the future to options for collectors to get their hands on a physical book, like crowdfunding or sub-licensing the physical rights. Please support subscribe or buy the e-books to help make that possible!

So just because there isn't a physical release right now, it doesn't mean that there won't be one down the road. Yes, I would prefer a physical copy too. But I'd rather have it digitally than not have it at all.
zeopower6

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Oo, Sam Pinansky or Quarkboy is in charge of J-Novel Club! I remember him from his work on PreCure ages ago. Smile
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I saved too many girls and caused the apocalypse sounds like a very interesting harem manga that I'll definitely have to check out. Very Happy
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:26 am Reply with quote
Going with shuusei's comment about the partnership, they could also work with fan translators. That is, the ones who have given the nod to do fan translations.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
They've definitely got a knack for choosing interesting titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1