• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Tops Spirited Away as Highest Grossing Anime Film Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
Dang this topped even Spirited Away?! (why am I surprised by this?) Now I really need to this film once Funimation gets it into a few theaters.

EDIT: I misread the title, I thought it was the #1 animated film in Japan instead of worldwide profit. Oops Razz
HIGANO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
Sadly but boxofficemojo ESTIMATES is not the great out there.I diffidently...... i can't trust there number..... comScore Worldwide Box Office Results has different number....
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/comscore-announces-official-worldwide-box-office-results-for-weekend-of-january-15-2017-300391143.html
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:31 am Reply with quote
At this rate, it seems that Your Name might even have a chance of surpassing Frozen if all goes well. Smile
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:33 am Reply with quote
It's interesting to see how much the global market for anime, and films in general, has increased. Spirited Away has now been surpassed even though it brought in like 8 billion more yen domestically. It just didn't have much pull outside of Japan back then, where as now Your Name is cruising world wide. Crazy. It'll be interesting to see how much the US is able to add. Maybe another 10 million at most?
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
The feat of Your Name greatly surpassing all Makoto Shinkai's works like 5 centimeters and Garden of Words and ofcourse, Hayao himself. The pressure is real
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
It's interesting to see how much the global market for anime, and films in general, has increased. Spirited Away has now been surpassed even though it brought in like 8 billion more yen domestically. It just didn't have much pull outside of Japan back then, where as now Your Name is cruising world wide. Crazy. It'll be interesting to see how much the US is able to add. Maybe another 10 million at most?

That's likely the main reason for the film's success. It's a much different market now than in the past and there's a lot more foreign interest and understanding of anime now.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
It was only a matter of time
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:44 am Reply with quote
I just now realised that this movie hasn't even come out in the US. Its reign of terror isn't even done yet.

By the time this whole thing is over I wouldn't be surprised if Your Name absolutely crushes Spirited Away and stays on the top for years to come.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
At this rate, it seems that Your Name might even have a chance of surpassing Frozen if all goes well. :)

I wouldn't deny that Your Name is a once-a-decade anime box office phenomena, but it's currently at only about a quarter of Frozen's worldwide box office. Your Name hasn't even yet earned worldwide what Frozen earned "domestic" (meaning United States and Canada).

Your Name may still beat Frozen in Japan, though. That's within the range of realistic possibilities.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edmond Lo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:36 am Reply with quote
One thing is, Spirited Away won Oscar. That probably drove the viewing (or box office) up a lot in other countries, like in North American.

Due to the release day, I am unsure if Your Name will get a nomination by the Academy for next month's award. If it does or even winning it, it will definitely smash all records........
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:53 am Reply with quote
Edmond Lo wrote:
One thing is, Spirited Away won Oscar. That probably drove the viewing (or box office) up a lot in other countries, like in North American.

Due to the release day, I am unsure if Your Name will get a nomination by the Academy for next month's award. If it does or even winning it, it will definitely smash all records........

No it didn't read the article again. Out of the 275 million that Spirited Away made, 270 Mil was in Japan. This basically made nothing outside of Japan.

Like others have said you really can't compare the box office totals because they are two different eras. When Spirited Away came out, I don't think it was even released in half the countries your name was, not to mention the Chinese box office has significantly increased in recent years a was responsible for a big chunk of your names total.

But on the flip side it just goes to show the respect that Miyazaki gets, even with close to no international box office he not only was nominated but won an oscar for spirited away not to mention several other nomination, and this is despite the animated oscar category being heavily biased towards kid friendly American releases.

Not saying its bad but your name is more avatar and frozen then it is Ghilbi, ie its a decent work with massive box office draw, but at the same time I wouldn't call it an animated masterpiece.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
According to the Box Office Mojo website, Shinkai's film has earned a total of US$281 million worldwide to beat Spirited Away's US$275 million.

So that I can curtail my enthusiasm realistically, may I ask if the figure of 275 million accounts for inflation in the dollar since the release of Spirited Away?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
joe_g7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:08 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to Shinkai!
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:27 am Reply with quote
Can't wait for it to arrive in the states properly, so that all you guys there can enjoy it. I saw it a few months ago in Australia and it was pretty good. I don't think its as good as Spirited Away and I'm probably the only person on the planet who found the soundtrack tacky, but for for it; its about time anime had something this crazy.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
This is so inaccurate. Why don't these sites adjust for inflation? Spirited Away, adjusted, made $374,733,643. So yeah, not really even that close yet.

edit: I used http://www.boxofficemojo.com for my numbers and various inflation calculators to ensure I got the right outcome. Boxofficemojo normally also does not (normally*) adjust for inflation which is how I knew that number was unadjusted: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=spiritedaway.htm

*They do have a section for top grossing movies adjusted for inflation, but it only shows the top 100 so Spirited Away wasn't on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3