• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eureka Seven AO Anime Gets New 'Final Episode' to Promote Game

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:31 am Reply with quote
Since Ao had a pretty rushed second half (maybe they did plan it to be 50 episodes after all?), this news has really got my interest.

On the other hand, it's kinda hard for me to believe that this came out now after all this time. Shocked
tootbrush

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:31 am Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Why did you have to remind me of that train wreck...

AO should be ejected from E7 canon and forgotten (along with that awful movie), not revived every couple of years.
digritz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
Since Ao had a pretty rushed second half (maybe they did plan it to be 50 episodes after all?), this news has really got my interest.

Not sure how 1 "final" new episode could possible suggest the intent might have been 50 eps when it ended......thankfully after 24.

It's far more likely they had a game in mind all along but after the lackluster AO wished to give themselves distance and breathing room from it. It was not only not very good, it actually tainted the source material.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
It's funny how the article mentions everyone who returned from the original series to make AO, because I've seen someone observe that it's the one person who didn't return that was most crucial: Dai Sato. Without him, everything else the franchise attempted afterwards has fallen completely flat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
Great news but there was no mention of where this was going to be streamed or where even to find it.
Nyron

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
Does anyone remember all of the really cool parts of Eureka Seven? The setting, the surf culture, the music and sixties references, the sky pirates and counterculture themes, the overarching coming-of-age story for several characters? The whimsy and colors of the imagery?

And now, does anyone remember all the really stupid parts of Eureka Seven? The quantum physics subplot that no one cared about? The really, really confusing melodrama and stuff about coral and Alternate dimensions?

Imagine if they made a show based on the first thing and not the second thing lmao
It's amazing to me how bones managed to look at the first series, and systematically make a sequel based on all of the things that decidedly brought down the first series

I hope this franchise can finally die
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
#866243 wrote:
Great news but there was no mention of where this was going to be streamed or where even to find it.

The article links to the streaming site in the first line. The article also embeds the only segment of the episode that is public so far, since as noted in the article, the rest of the episode will stream later on.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
I'm just gonna assume this is BONES' apology for the final episode they came up with first.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I didn't enjoy E7 as much as others and AO's ending didn't redeem the series. I do really like the OST for AO however. That was brilliant.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Can we all just forget AO happened? E7 is fine, it doesn't have a sequel or a movie
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Can we all just forget AO happened? E7 is fine, it doesn't have a sequel or a movie

As long as you mentioned it, I doubt we're ever gonna forget that it happened.

On the topic of AO, would it wrong for me to say that the reveals in the finale that spoiler[Dewey was right about Coralians being detrimental to humanity and Renton and Eureka's first child was a stillbirth] didn't anger me, while spoiler[Ao being forced to crossdress in the OVA under the pretense that they're tricking the reporters for this story into thinking all Generation Blue IFO pilots are girls, only for the broadcast at the end to reveal that the other male IFO pilot wasn't forced to crossdress either rendering Ao's own crossdressing completely pointless], is what I consider the worst AO had to offer? And this is coming from someone who considers the original anime his favorite.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
It's funny how the article mentions everyone who returned from the original series to make AO, because I've seen someone observe that it's the one person who didn't return that was most crucial: Dai Sato. Without him, everything else the franchise attempted afterwards has fallen completely flat.

I had to check the staff list after reading this, and I can't believe I only realized this now. Now that I realize his absence, everything makes sense. Sad

digritz wrote:
Not sure how 1 "final" new episode could possible suggest the intent might have been 50 eps when it ended......thankfully after 24.

I remember they were scattering bits of plots around Ao's first couple of episodes. I never liked the alternate dimension themes. But I hoped all the story elements would suddenly make a full picture around the end of the first cour like how the original E7 did. The second half actually had a lot of interesting (but not necessarily good) developments. That's why I thought that a lot of the details were either cut or rushed.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, even the pacing seemed undecided or like something happened during production, the first half was too dragged out and inconsequential, while the second half definitely felt rushed. It was very stop-start-stop-start too.

Top Gun wrote:

Completely agree. Such a mistake (if they didn't try) not finding any way at all to pry him back. He hasn't really been doing much in the way of series anymore so I'm surprised/disappointed he wasn't open to it. It was obvious he was missing.

Re:SOUL wrote:
I didn't enjoy E7 as much as others and AO's ending didn't redeem the series. I do really like the OST for AO however. That was brilliant.

Yeah, it did have a fantastic soundtrack at least.
digritz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
I remember they were scattering bits of plots around Ao's first couple of episodes. I never liked the alternate dimension themes. But I hoped all the story elements would suddenly make a full picture around the end of the first cour like how the original E7 did. The second half actually had a lot of interesting (but not necessarily good) developments. That's why I thought that a lot of the details were either cut or rushed.

I too hoped for developments that would somehow make everything right with the world........and all the others they seemed to be aiming for. But in the end I gave up, excepted the hole they kept digging and tried to figure out the mascot sales angle. Now with the announcement of a game it all makes a sad sick sense.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I didn't realize that there was this much hate for Eureka Seven AO floating around. There were certainly aspects about it that I thought were stupid (spoiler[basically destroying Eureka 7's timeline] was particulary dumb), and I don't think that it was as good as the original, but I still enjoyed it in spite of its flaws. I was actually thinking recently that I'd like to watch it again, but it's a bit buried at the moment from the last time I moved...

My first thought when I saw this news was to be annoyed, because there was pretty much no way that we were going to get it here - and if we did, it would be sub-only. But given that it's clearly just made for promoting a game, I doubt that it's worth much anyway, regardless of how good or bad the series was. Still, as an American anime fan, side stuff like this is really annoying, because we never get it unless it comes out before the actual series comes out in the US, and it gets bundled with the home video release - which obviously isn't the case here. There a bunch of OVAs out there which are add-ons to series which we simply never get, and many of those have real content as opposed to simply being released to promote a game. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1