• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Fighting Foodons, Ultra Maniac, Freedom Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I was just thinking about Ultra Maniac yesterday & was considering hunting down the old Geneon discs - now I don't have to! Thanks!

I hope all these licenses do well for them
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I hope Crusher Joe will get a Blu-Ray release in the US later on. For Discotek's next announcements, I hope they will release these titles:

Angel Cop
Baoh
Call Me Tonight
Devilman OVA's (1987-1990)
Dominion Tank Police
Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor
Perfect Blue (Since Funimation and other companies have not re-release it yet)
Psycho Diver: Soul Siren
Record of Lodoss War OVA on Blu-Ray
Space Pirate Captain Herlock: The Endless Odyssey (2002 OVA series)
Silent Mobius Movie on Blu-Ray (With both dubs and subs)
Tiger Mask (The original TV series)
Wild 7 (OVA)

Last edited by Spawn29 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they managed to license an obscure 4Kids dub!
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Good to know they're including both 4:3 & 16:9 versions of the Crusher Joe movie, I was hoping that would happen after it was revealed a few days ago that they got both versions of Arcadia of My Youth.

As for the rest, good to know that Ultra Maniac is back in print after Viz did nothing with it other than streaming. Hope that and the others sell well (Freedom probably will, not sure about Fighting Foodons).
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I always remember that one episode of Ultra Maniac that was an extended reference to The Powerpuff Girls.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:

I guess there is demand for it and a market for it. I won't mind if they release Shaman King on DVD with both subs and the Uncut English dub (Probably the best dub that 4kids did which is not saying much).
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
It's always a treat to see what obscure properties Discotek manages to track down the rights for. Gives me hope that oddities I hope to own on home media eventually come out too. In that light, I suppose now would be as good an opportunity as any to tweak and update my Discotek wishlist.

The Tale Of The White Serpent (1958)
Prince and the Eight Headed Dragon (1963)
Gulliver's Travels Beyond The Moon from (1965)
Flying Phantom Ship (1969)

These are all Toei Douga films, from an experimental era of Japanese animation that fascinates me greatly. Discotek has already dabbled in the era, with Horus: Prince of the Sun, among others, and even if I can't speak for everyone, I'd love to see more. There is some genuinely impressive animation in these old movies.

Angel Cop
Baoh

Two wonderful, trashy OVAs with awesome so-bad-their-funny dubs. They'd be right up Discotek's alley after releasing the likes of Mad Bull 34.

Tetsujin 28-go (2004 series and movie)
Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact!

Both of these are revivals of classic giant robot shows, with modern animation that really brings new life to their retro character designs. Discotek already released Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact! on DVD, but I'd love the chance to get it on Blu-ray. Tetsujin 28-go was released in the U.S. more than a decade ago, but the singles are long out-of-print and rather expensive to collect. A complete series box-set would be well worth it, I believe.

Future Boy Conan

I couldn't well leave this off my list, now could I? Many have asked for it before, and no matter what licensing issues might hold it back, all we can do is keep asking. It's a Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata TV series. That alone is more than enough reason to give it a shot on the western market.

Zoids Chaotic Century
Zoids Century Zero

I have a lot of nostalgia for these from their days on Toonami. Seems like they'd be right up Discotek's alley.

Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card

Discotek put out the first Cardcaptor movie, it might as well release the second one, if NIS America isn't interested. It would be nice to own the key parts of the original series before the new Clear Card Arc anime comes out in 2018.

Invincible Super Man Zambot 3

From what I've read, this is a compelling robot drama from Sunrise that was something of forerunner to the tragic mecha fad pioneered by Gundam. After watching Giant Gorg, I'm very curious about checking out other classic Sunrise robot shows. Really, I'd be interested in watching any Sunrise show from this era.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
ParkerALx wrote:
Angel Cop
Baoh

Two wonderful, trashy OVAs with awesome so-bad-their-funny dubs. They'd be right up Discotek's alley after releasing the likes of Mad Bull 34.

I'm all for a rescue of Baoh, especially if it gets a better looking release than the old AnimEigo DVD I have (probably would judging by Fuma Lupin & what was said about 4:3 Arcadia of My Youth).

Quote:
Discotek already released Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact! on DVD, but I'd love the chance to get it on Blu-ray.

This!

Bought it on DVD when it came out and really enjoyed it, even more than the original 70s series and would love to upgrade if that happened.

Quote:
Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card

Discotek put out the first Cardcaptor movie, it might as well release the second one, if NIS America isn't interested. It would be nice to own the key parts of the original series before the new Clear Card Arc anime comes out in 2018.

Unfortunately it's not that simple because the original series' international rights are split between 3 companies in Japan. The TV series is believed to be by NHK (according to WTK), the first movie is by Bandai Visual (as seen in Discotek's packaging) and the second is by Kodansha (as seen in Madman's packaging) and unfortunately, the latter hasn't worked with anyone here but FUNimation in recent years (not counting the monogataris with AoA & Seven Deadly Sins with Netflix (streaming)) so we're screwed unless FUNi gets it with the new series if Kodansha gets international rights to the latter.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I don't necessarily care about any of these (though the Ultra Maniac manga was cute), but it does give me hope for future Discotek licenses.

Since they rescue licensed Fighting Foodons (a former 4Kids anime), I'm hoping they can snag Shaman King or Tokyo Mew Mew next.

Also, since they rescue licensed Ultra Maniac, a former Viz Media anime, I hope they can soon rescue Rockman EXE/Rockman Star Force.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
Also, since they rescue licensed Ultra Maniac, a former Viz Media anime, I hope they can soon rescue Rockman EXE/Rockman Star Force.

Unfortunately Viz still has Star Force...

https://view.yahoo.com/show/mega-man-star-force
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
epicwizard wrote:

I guess there is demand for it and a market for it. I won't mind if they release Shaman King on DVD with both subs and the Uncut English dub (Probably the best dub that 4kids did which is not saying much).
hell I'd throw out some money for an Ultimate Muscle release, even though 4kids also dubbed that it was still funny
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
If they're interested in former Viz shows, the Zoids franchise really needs a home. Those ancient DVDs have appreciated in value.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Whoa...I never thought I'd hear any announcements about Fighting Foodons again. I think I'm the last person left on Earth still singing the opening theme to it. I might actually get that.

It was that short though? 26 episodes? I was certain it went on for longer than that. Was the original anime shorter? Or was it just as short due to low ratings?
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
hell I'd throw out some money for an Ultimate Muscle release, even though 4kids also dubbed that it was still funny

Same, never watched it but heard good things. As a matter of fact, it was because of the 4Kids dub that a second season was made at the time.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:19 am Reply with quote
Ultra Maniac sounds like the kind of a show I might enjoy as a snack in-between something else, so I'll grab it eventually. I'm also grateful for the most recent Captain Harlock announcement that came a few days ago. And can't wait to get release dates for the Lupin titles that we know are coming.

Still not the day when I get to read that someone has licensed Sengoku Majin GoShogun, but maybe eventually if I keep hoping!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2