• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - The Disney Afternoon Collection

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
The Disney Afternoon Collection: Considering I've only ever played both the first DuckTales and Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers, this sounds like a very good investment. I'm done with Ys Origin and need something to play until Summon Night 6 arrives in the mail.

NES Classic Mini: Pretty much the only reaction I'm seeing to the discontinuation is "Why does Nintendo hate money!?" and "Nintendo hates money!" everywhere I look. I imagine a theoretical Super NES Mini would be an even bigger seller considering it was the first "greatest era of gaming" for many.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:02 am Reply with quote
That Disney game collection looks like it worth picking up on sale (never played them so I have no nostalgia for them whatsoever). Dragon Quest Heroes I was one of the better Omega Force games,with it's tower defense elements which added a bit of strategy to the game. Even if you didn't care for Dragon Quest at all you could enjoy it, so I have some high hopes for the sequel to be just as good.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
d the bigger bits of Switch news were about mostly known quantities like Splatoon 2 and Arms.

not really, teh biggest switch news was the new sernan kagura game for it.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
The only way I can see Nintendo fully moving to the Switch as a new handheld is if CAPCOM moves Monster Hunter to it. For the moment the handheld aspect is a bonus, mostly for those who have a commute and can use it to kill time for a couple hours.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Just announced for next week is Episode 4 of the Walking Dead: A New Frontier.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I am definitely looking forward to playing Puyo Puyo Tetris, after picking up the demo. I think only the Switch version gets the extra stuff, isn't it? Like the keychains and the book and stuff? Because I figured that's why the Switch version costs more.

Themaster20000 wrote:
That Disney game collection looks like it worth picking up on sale (never played them so I have no nostalgia for them whatsoever).

Same here. Though I watched all four of those shows and saw every episode many times, I think all of those games were for the NES. Not only would it have been before my time, when I was little, I picked the SEGA side in the Console Wars.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

The latest Xbox Insider Program update has added self-service refunds, which work pretty similarly to the solutions becoming prevalent on PC digital distributors. You've got two weeks from the date of purchase to refund any game that's been played for two hours or less.

Playing a game for less than two hours and returning it for a refund is.....kinda of weird, I mean I get doing that if the game is a clusterfuck of course.

Quote:

That's huge for the ultimately closed digital marketplace, and a lack of refund options has been a frequent point of contention on the PS4

It has? first I've heard of it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 pm Reply with quote
After 12 years of Puyo Puyo's dormancy in the Western world, I'm totally looking forward to trying out Puyo Puyo Tetris! Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
After 12 years of Puyo Puyo's dormancy in the Western world, I'm totally looking forward to trying out Puyo Puyo Tetris! Smile

If you have any platforms it's for, a demo is available for Puyo Puyo Tetris. It contains a tutorial for both modes, the manual, and Versus (you pick Puyo Puyo or Tetris and stick with that from beginning to end) and Swap (switches between Puyo Puyo and Tetris every 30 seconds, each with separate playfields) with single-player and multiplayer.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope Nintendo can release enough SNES minis so that I can get my hands on one and not those damn scalpers!
I'm very much looking forward to that one because its the first system I grew up on.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Thing about DuckTales Remastered starting the whole retro-craze for Capcom's old NES and SNES/Genesis Disney-platform games was that DuckTales had been remastered for old-school cartridge platform action with cleaner, now "normal"-looking contemporary detailed sprites and backgrounds suitable for hi-def consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sKAkm1dhFI
Mickey Mouse: Castle of Illusion cashed in with another good-looking contemporary remaster, and that's the other sentimental retro classic.

Here, looks like they're JUST pasting the 8-bit games onto a format that's big enough to hold all of the old tiny cartridges in one place--and saying "Hey, 8-bit, remember?"--and...yeah. I'm starting to remember. Confused
Although I can see a studio not devoting a year's time to remastering Chip & Dale or Darkwing Duck, it still feels more like a cheap updump, for those aforementioned 30-yo.'s who don't know the difference between a good vintage game and "Having the old cartridges back again".
I'd owned a Sega Genesis back in the day, and I'd played the Sega Genesis Collection on PS3 when it came out a few years ago, and I've....since learned the difference.
Kyjin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, thank you for reminding me of the existence of the Goof Troop game. I spent countless hours on that one when I was kid. My brother still has our SNES and cartridges; I might ask him to dig that one out next time I visit...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:33 am Reply with quote
True relics of my childhood. I remember coming home from school every day as fast as I could so I was able to catch the two hours worth of shows from the Disney Afternoon. Nostalgic moments at it's finest.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
Also worth mentioning for next week's releases is Little Nightmares, an indie horror game with a really unique style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1