• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul (TV)

Genres: action, fantasy
Themes: bounty hunters, demons, post-apocalyptic, war

Plot Summary: Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul will run for two cours (quarters of a year). The story takes place 10 years after the world escaped destruction due to the revival of Bahamut. Humans at the royal capital gather wealth, the demons are enslaved to assist with the capital's revival, and the gods lose their power due to a decrease in religious piety. The world is thrown off balance as humans, gods, and demons hold their own ideas of justice.
----------------------------------

Second Season of Rage of Bahamut by studio MAPPA comes for Spring. I really enjoyed the first season so this should be a very fun ride.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Really nice to see this show return.

The first episode didn't waste much time getting right to the point either with the action and magical elements. Nina (the new girl) is cute. A bit girly in some ways but I think she has a charm to her character.

Glad to see characters from the previous season return too like Kaisar and Rita.
First episode is titled Red Dragon and I'm pretty satisfied with the start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I had good hopes when I heard that we would have a female main character this time because it might be a fun way to mess with the formulae, and like Favaro she does seem to have her own version of his women chasing in her getting gazed in seeing hot dudes. That is a fun element that I hope she can act like an interest turn from Favaro. From appearance she almost gives off the feeling of being something like Favaro's daughter, although she says she was 6 years old at the events of the first season, it does not entirely rule it out because I can't imagine the guy being entirely careful. Her dragon nature brings up something particularly interesting point as dragons were kind of a rare thing.

More from other characters. I loved that Rita showed up at the end, a favourite from before. We still have Kaiser involved, getting the position he would have wanted, even if sees some of the problems. But from the eagle eyed fan would have already realised that the rag demon spoiler[is actually Azazel, the villain for the first part of the first season]. It is actually kind of an interesting twist of the story that Demons are now being enslaved so poorly, and it also looks like humans are not being too kind to gods either.

A similarly cinematic opening to what was done with the first season, and I am interested to watch more.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Wow, the new OP song is pretty catchy. I just love the style of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtzHPQjeQZM&feature=youtu.be
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Wait, is Azazel actually working with an angel or god? This making it all the more interesting, he might be half demon and god I suppose. And he also has an ocarina.

More highlighted this episode was the real shift of tone this series has compared to Genesis. The OP noticeable for what seems to be a focus of Azazel, and the ED is super Nina. Apparently her entire village can turn into dragons, which brings into question if they are humans that turn into dragons, or dragons that turn into humans. Makes me wonder if she automatically turns dragon when excited because it is along the lines of mating or something. She is growing on me even more though.

All the plot with atrocities against the demons and how sick of it is an interesting plot, it is putting me right onto Azazel's side. I can also see Kaiser switching, part of his deal has been pointlessness of revenge, but also about being blind to true right thing to do and what he should follow for his moral compass, apparently he and his followers even felt disgraced in having to use those demon girls as bait in the previous episode. It means something in that in other ways Kaiser's life was ruined by demons in different ways, but it is perhaps because of that in which he saw blindly hating someone is wrong. People always say "black or white", but the world is so gray!

Also, was trying to figure out what one of the small things was with Nina in the ED, before I realised that it was Rocky, Rita's pet crawling claw, or assistant.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't be surprised to see a family relationship between creepy angel boy and Jeanne D'Arc. It's 10 years later, he looks like he could be around there in age.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
before I realised that it was Rocky, Rita's pet crawling claw, or assistant.

After binging on Genesis, I checked again and noticed Rocky is a lefty, so is his origin is that Rocky was Kaisar's former left hand @@.

As for Virgin Soul, Dragon Villages were likely also "in a different plane" prior to the most recent Bahamut attack, this makes it reasonable that Nina does not default to siding with demons under Azazel's logic that "if you are a powerful being that isn't an Angel, clearly you are of demonic descent", she shows sympathy for the demons after seeing them in the slums as well as being forced into slavery and fears for the idea that the human kingdom would turn its eye on her village however overt violence right now would not "keep the humans out".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

With Nina it looks like hungry enough to eat a horse may not be too much of an exaggeration as she seems to have a dragon's appetite. As soon as she mentioned that she had a teacher I had to pause it as I knew exactly what type of person could fit the description. So apparently Favaro has met more dragons, which now that I think about it actually makes sense with what he hopes to accomplish.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:15 am Reply with quote
Something that is of the rhetorical nature, who the hell is the king?
With his Clark Kent stylized disguise (maybe we can assume the glasses are slightly enchanted?) he has the physical strength to compete with a dragon girl in an arm wrestling contest.

It is likely an "obvious in the aftermath" scenario, even so the man managed to find a way to revolutionize magitek within the last decade in an attempt to put mankind above mythical demons and angels as well as any other society or group of monsters that would dare to marshal against his power.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
One of the hallmark features of Bahamut for me is its score by Ike Yoshihiro. Ike totally captures the epic nature of Bahamut in his music. I was surprised to see Fune wo Amu in his list of credits; the two shows and scores can't be more different from each other.

However I simply cannot listen to the OP for either season. That whole genre of loud, clashing rock just hurts my ears. I had the same reaction to "Database" in Log Horizon. I see people posting about their love for songs like these, so I'll just chalk it up to being 67.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

And we got it confirmed that indeed Mugaro is Jeanne's son, her as a mother did sound like a cool idea for this post time skip season, and being both a champion of the angels and at one point a demon does set up an interesting story for her.

Another piece is that she comes from a village where there are dragons and human, but not clear which group's children can change between the forms because is half human and dragon, which sounds from her fairly rare. And from it she apparently has little control of turning into a dragon unlike her peers, and in doing so goes berserk. Probably is pretty apt Azazel saying that she is like a mini-Bahamut. Rage if Nina! I found it quite interesting that Nina is so embarrassed by her condition.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
After seeing the latest episodes, it makes much more sense that the title has "Virgin Soul" as part of the title. Nice to see a bit of Nina's past as well. I'd like to still see exactly how she obtained her Red Dragon powers though as the source of that still isn't clear.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:49 am Reply with quote
I am thinking that she might have a bit of Bahamut's power, kind of from the fact she seems to largely rage uncontrollably when she transforms. I am thinking that she gets her red colour from her red hair, which I think she got from her human mother side, and that playing with her biology.

Actually, I am going to put in a theory that maybe she is destined to be Bahamut's bride or something, which is why she transforms into something similar when she gets bothered. Which will maybe just highlight that she has bad luck with men. But I am kind of basing it on thinking the series character name should play a part in the plot.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Wait, Mugaro is actually a girl? Regardless she seems to like the cute clothes from the shopping trip with Nina who seems to identify Mugaro as such, not knowing whether she checked or not. Only just noticed that Mugaro is wearing the dress in the ED. S/he is a sweetheart.

Kaisar x Rita. Didn't really think about the pairing before, Rita is the older one. She did not get the confession she wanted, but got some sense into Kaisar.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 3:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

This was a cute episode. The dance bit especially feels familiar with the Amilia and Favaro dancing scene in first season, and again work into it that it was a delight. Earlier on there was a look on Nina's face that again showed similarities she has to Favaro, that perverted look, which Nina wore when she was fantasizing. Blushing Nina was really fun, it came across well in the date.

And to top it off is the opposite, Nina does not blush at all when Azazel is handling her later, like the focus of one guy did enough that she is not just at the mercy of a hot guy, even compared to earlier in the episode. Azazel might be set up to have kind of had things screw up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3