• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks Sets August 22 Release Date for Beyond the Boundary Films

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder who they'll get to voice Mirai for the dub...

-Marc.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:

Imagine considering the TV anime had an English dub, Krystal LaPorte will be reprising the role.

As for the remainder of Sentai's August slate, only Food Wars has my attention. But will hold off on doing anything until I know the full series is being released.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
MarkyMarc413 wrote:

Imagine considering the TV anime had an English dub, Krystal LaPorte will be reprising the role.

As for the remainder of Sentai's August slate, only Food Wars has my attention. But will hold off on doing anything until I know the full series is being released.

Except there was some falling out between Sentai and Krystal, and her previously reprised roles were re-assigned (like in Chaika, IIRC), so....

-Marc.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
Except there was some falling out between Sentai and Krystal, and her previously reprised roles were re-assigned (like in Chaika, IIRC), so....

Okay, just dug up the news. Pardon my language, but sounds like a dick move on Sentai's part to ditch her without any reason provided.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:50 am Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
MarkyMarc413 wrote:

Okay, just dug up the news. Pardon my language, but sounds like a dick move on Sentai's part to ditch her without any reason provided.

Where do people get this idea that once they cast someone as a character that they HAVE to use this person and ONLY this person for the rest of eternity?
She doesn't own the character! She's providing a voice, that's it!
Sure, I understand people like consistency but if there's a problem and actors can't work with companies for a good reason (personality clashes, other issues with talent) WHY would you want that tension?!??!?

I've been at cons and interacted with voice actors, attended seminars.
My take on it -- the people who get work are not only talented but they also get along with other people. They're RELIABLE AND ENDURABLE (able to be tolerated by others) human beings! Nobody's becoming a millionaire voice acting in anime but there are enough people in the talent pool still that nobody's indisposable. The working actors don't bring their baggage or personal politics into work if they have any common sense. When someone behaves like a complete ass and makes the work situation awful, if there's a way around working with that person again then it behooves the company NOT to employ that person just for the sake of sanity!

P.S. -- And where is this supposition that the problem lies with Sentai coming from? For all you know, it's a personality conflict issue. If you have 20 people work with 1 person who's a stable, regular employee and only 1 of that 20 has an issue with the regular who do you think it's reasonable to retain/continue giving work to? The one complainant, or the person that 19 other people had no issues working with?

I'm just saying -- we don't have all the facts here... Might not be a good idea to assume it's the company here.

That is something I notice on these boards... There is a tendency to personalize things a bit too much and make presumptions when we don't have all the facts...
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
Pleasantly surprised to see that they are releasing the movies in a double pack. Thought they'd release them separately.

I'm still waiting to see if anyone in Australia is going to license these. But, seeing as Hanabee never licensed the AnoHana movie, I'm thinking they'll end up skipping on Beyond the Boundary...
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I'm just saying -- we don't have all the facts here... Might not be a good idea to assume it's the company here.

I haven't read any of the news involved, but if they didn't give a reason why they recast her (and it sounds like they didn't), then there could be a whole host of reasons why she was recast, most of which are going to be personal issues of the actress and not the company. It's certainly possible that they decided that they had a problem with her and refuse to work with her now, but it's far more likely that something in her life makes it so that it doesn't work now. Maybe she moved. Maybe she got married and that changed her situation enough that it didn't work anymore. Maybe she got a new job where the schedule is such that doing dub work doesn't work anymore. Maybe she has an elderly family member who she has to take care of now, and her time is more limited. Maybe she decided that other stuff in her life mattered more and is now focusing her time on that instead. There are a lot of personal reasons why voice actors stop voice acting that have nothing to do with the dubbing company.

AFAIK, the list of cases where there has really been a falling out between a voice actor and one of the dubbing companies is pretty small. In the vast majority of cases, the actor couldn't do it anymore due to changes in their life. Occasionally, the dubbing company and the actor can't come to an agreement when they want them to reprise a role (e.g. with the 3rd Tenchi OVA, Funimation and Petrea Buchard couldn't come to an agreement, so she didn't play Ryoko - but she also hadn't done any anime dubbing in years, so who knows what her situation was), and sometimes the dubbing company simply doesn't bother to contact the original actor (usually when a different company is doing the new dub). But a falling out between the studio and the actor? It's probably happened before, but the only cases like that that I've heard of where I didn't later hear a completely different reason for the actor not reprising a role have been the few cases where the actor was arrested for a serious crime.

So, was there a falling out between Krystal LaPorte and Sentai Filmworks? I have no idea. Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't. But without either party saying that that's what happened, it seems like a stretch to argue that it did given that the alternatives are way more common. Now, if she starts doing a bunch of work for Funimation and never does anything else for Sentai, then that would certainly imply that there was a falling out, but that could also simply mean that she moved to Dallas. Without either of them saying anything, there's no way to know.

Now, I totally agree that it sucks when a voice actor is replaced, and I wish that it never happened, but sometimes there isn't much choice, and usually it seems to be that the actor isn't able to come back due to life changes rather than there being any problem between them and the dubbing company.

And maybe we'll get lucky and Krystal LaPorte will actually reprise her role in this series even though she didn't in some others. We'll just have to wait and see.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:

I haven't read any of the news involved, but if they didn't give a reason why they recast her (and it sounds like they didn't), then there could be a whole host of reasons why she was recast, most of which are going to be personal issues of the actress and not the company. It's certainly possible that they decided that they had a problem with her and refuse to work with her now, but it's far more likely that something in her life makes it so that it doesn't work now. Maybe she moved. Maybe she got married and that changed her situation enough that it didn't work anymore. Maybe she got a new job where the schedule is such that doing dub work doesn't work anymore. Maybe she has an elderly family member who she has to take care of now, and her time is more limited. Maybe she decided that other stuff in her life mattered more and is now focusing her time on that instead. There are a lot of personal reasons why voice actors stop voice acting that have nothing to do with the dubbing company.

AFAIK, the list of cases where there has really been a falling out between a voice actor and one of the dubbing companies is pretty small. In the vast majority of cases, the actor couldn't do it anymore due to changes in their life. Occasionally, the dubbing company and the actor can't come to an agreement when they want them to reprise a role (e.g. with the 3rd Tenchi OVA, Funimation and Petrea Buchard couldn't come to an agreement, so she didn't play Ryoko - but she also hadn't done any anime dubbing in years, so who knows what her situation was), and sometimes the dubbing company simply doesn't bother to contact the original actor (usually when a different company is doing the new dub). But a falling out between the studio and the actor? It's probably happened before, but the only cases like that that I've heard of where I didn't later hear a completely different reason for the actor not reprising a role have been the few cases where the actor was arrested for a serious crime.

So, was there a falling out between Krystal LaPorte and Sentai Filmworks? I have no idea. Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't. But without either party saying that that's what happened, it seems like a stretch to argue that it did given that the alternatives are way more common. Now, if she starts doing a bunch of work for Funimation and never does anything else for Sentai, then that would certainly imply that there was a falling out, but that could also simply mean that she moved to Dallas. Without either of them saying anything, there's no way to know.

Now, I totally agree that it sucks when a voice actor is replaced, and I wish that it never happened, but sometimes there isn't much choice, and usually it seems to be that the actor isn't able to come back due to life changes rather than there being any problem between them and the dubbing company.

And maybe we'll get lucky and Krystal LaPorte will actually reprise her role in this series even though she didn't in some others. We'll just have to wait and see.

Reading the posts she did would have negated half of your post. Based on what's she said, it's unlikely that she will ever do another role at Sentai again. According to her claims, not only has Sentai refused to cast her any further, but most of th VA's that work there will no longer associate with her. So whatever happened, it was likely significant.

In cases like this, it's not unusual for the company to not discuss the reasons for no longer using someone, especially when dealing with an actor (aka independent contractor) and not a corporate employee. We will never know the exact reasons, unless a Sentai/Aesir employee anonymously posts something along, and even then, it will only be half the story and not necessarily 100% true.
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
http://fightingfornippon.com/sentai-filmworks-replaces-krystal-laporte/

There's a good article from last year, documenting what happened to Krystal, as well as this note she posted on Twitter last February after she found out she was replaced/recast in shows she was working on.

Like others have said, there could be any number of reasons why Sentai let her go, but it genuinely seems like none of them were caused by her. She mentions how she wasn't even in Texas at the time the decision must have been made. She was at Katsucon at the time, and I met her there and she was sweet and funny, very down-to-earth and nice, so I doubt anything about her work ethic or personality would have caused her to get fired from Sentai.

I had heard that she was in a relationship with Chris Ayres, and that perhaps their relationship caused some trouble at Sentai because he was always casting her in shows he was directing, but that should really be his fault and not Krystal's.

Either way, she has been VERY absent from social media in the year since she was let go from Sentai Filmworks, and it's sad because she seemed very into whatever she worked on. I can hope that, at least for the sake of vocal continuity, she gets to voice Mirai again for these films. Then again, I doubt Sentai cares that much about the work they do, or their fans. At least Funimation, Aniplex and Viz try.

-Marc.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
http://fightingfornippon.com/sentai-filmworks-replaces-krystal-laporte/

There's a good article from last year, documenting what happened to Krystal, as well as this note she posted on Twitter last February after she found out she was replaced/recast in shows she was working on.

Like others have said, there could be any number of reasons why Sentai let her go, but it genuinely seems like none of them were caused by her. She mentions how she wasn't even in Texas at the time the decision must have been made. She was at Katsucon at the time, and I met her there and she was sweet and funny, very down-to-earth and nice, so I doubt anything about her work ethic or personality would have caused her to get fired from Sentai.

I had heard that she was in a relationship with Chris Ayres, and that perhaps their relationship caused some trouble at Sentai because he was always casting her in shows he was directing, but that should really be his fault and not Krystal's.

Either way, she has been VERY absent from social media in the year since she was let go from Sentai Filmworks, and it's sad because she seemed very into whatever she worked on. I can hope that, at least for the sake of vocal continuity, she gets to voice Mirai again for these films. Then again, I doubt Sentai cares that much about the work they do, or their fans. At least Funimation, Aniplex and Viz try.

-Marc.

First of all, your making assumptions based on nothing but claims on the internet. No one has corroborate any of her story, and for all any of us know, she could have been lying about being out of state, or not knowing the reason why they stopped casting her. She is, at least part time, an actress. Not to mention, actors are hired per role, per project, and she completed the work she was contracted for. She wasn't terminated. They just chose to not hire her for any further projects.

Also, as someone who had worked a number of anime conventions, in a variety of roles, I can tell you that the persona a VA presents when meeting fans at a convention can be very different from the one they present when working or behind closed doors. There is a certain VA/director who's work I refuse to buy because of how badly he treated staff at a convention, and the comments he made about anime fandom in general a few years back. But boy was the guy friendly in his autograph sessions and Q&A's.....

You're letting your personal opinions of an actor blind you to the fact that none of us outside of Krystal and Sentai know what happened. Saying that they care less about their fans than Aniplex, who has completely ignored frequent, loud requests for re-releases of long out of print titles, home video releases for streaming only titles, lower priced collections, or even bringing their collector's sets up to the level of Sentai and Funimation is laughable. All of the R1 companies care about their fans to some extent, but there are limits to what they can do and what kind of behavior they can tolerate. Media Blasters is probably the only company that is more fan unfriendly than Aniplex, and that's most likely due to limited resources and low staffing.

Just remember that there are always two sides to a story, and it's extremely rare for anyone official to discuss why an actor is no longer contracted.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

First of all, your making assumptions based on nothing but claims on the internet. No one has coaberated any of her story, and for all any of us know, she could have been lying about being out of state, or not knowing the reason why they stopped casting her. She is, at least part time, an actress. Not to mention, actors are hired per role, per project, and she completed the work she was contracted for. She wasn't terminated. They just chose to not hire her for any further projects.

Coaberated? Anyway, I was not lying about her being out of state. The dates of when she found out she was let go from Sentai line up with when she was in Washing DC for Katsucon last year, where I did actually meet her when she was a guest there. She was in great spirits and had a blast being there with her mom and fellow VAs like Chris Ayres.

dragonrider_cody wrote:

Also, as someone who had worked a number of anime conventions, in a variety of roles, I can tell you that the persona a VA presents when meeting fans at a convention can be very different from the one they present when working or behind closed doors. There is a certain VA/director who's work I refuse to buy because of how badly he treated staff at a convention, and the comments he made about anime fandom in general a few years back. But boy was the guy friendly in his autograph sessions and Q&A's.....

I didn't speak strictly of her presence at the convention, as she was also very positive and out-going on social media. Not long before she found out she was let go from Sentai, I had joined her fan-group page on Facebook, where she interacted and replied to many fans' questions and posts! After her revelation, though, she stopped posting for a long while, if at all.

dragonrider_cody wrote:

You're letting your personal opinions of an actor blind you to the fact that none of us outside of Krystal and Sentai know what happened. Saying that they care less about their fans than Aniplex, who has completely ignored frequent, loud requests for re-releases of long out of print titles, home video releases for streaming only titles, lower priced collections, or even bringing their collector's sets up to the level of Sentai and Funimation is laughable. All of the R1 companies care about their fans to some extent, but there are limits to what they can do and what kind of behavior they can tolerate. Media Blasters is probably the only company that is more fan unfriendly than Aniplex, and that's most likely due to limited resources and low staffing.

You're right, though, that no one really knows why it happened, even Krystal apparently, and it seems like no one at Sentai, staff or actor or otherwise, are willing to talk about it. Even Chris Ayres himself seems pretty innocent to what happened, so I guess we may never know. And I was only referring to Funimation and Aniplex with regard to role reprisals, in which they're fairly good at doing. Recent Funimation shows have been good at getting cast members back, even if they weren't originally Funimation shows (see The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki), and Aniplex did well with Durarara!!x2 (only about 2 or 3 roles were replaced, one quite possibly due to a broken NDA). I wasn't talking about anything else in terms of the companies' work and releases.

dragonrider_cody wrote:

Just remember that there are always two sides to a story, and it's extremely rare for anyone official to discuss why an actor is no longer contracted.

Well, technically there are three sides to every story, but we'll likely never know the real truth.

EDIT - there's also a discussion about this on Krystal's BTVA page, which seems fairly interesting at least:
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Krystal-LaPorte/

-Marc.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
It's probably worth noting that in the time that Krystal did roles at Sentai, the vast majority of them consisted of "extra voices", "background characters", or one scene characters such as "nurse". The claims about Chris Ayres "always casting her" are pretty easily proven false, as the majority of his dubs from that time do not feature her, even as a small role.
She only ever had two leads at Sentai, and a couple of secondary characters.

Even if their possible relationship had something to do with it, and Sentai could no longer continue to use both on the same projects, I can't exactly blame them for keeping an actor and director who's been working with them since before Sentai existed, over a newer actress who only had a handful of roles. It kind of sucks, and it's a little harsh, but that's just the way the world works, especially when their actors are contracted as needed and not full time employees.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
@MarkMarc413

Literally everything you said about Krystal can be said about any other VA or director, including the one I mentioned. Most aren't going to insult their fans on social media, especially given how the small the fan base is for anime and given the fact that they are contract workers and have no guarantee of employment.

I'm in no way saying that she is a bad person. I don't personally know her, and can't make that call. I'm simply pointing out that judging an actor based solely upon meeting that at a convention, or upon Facebook posts isn't the best idea. Actors in particular are known for having very different public and private personas.

Also, while you can prove that she was out of state during a certain period of time, you can't prove that it was the same period of time as when she found out that she would no longer be cast in roles at Sentai. Unless someone comes forward with the actual texts, she could be lying.

Considering all the moral outrage we've seen these days over social media posts, online stories, and the like, that later turned out to be at best highly exagerrated, and bold faced lies at worst, I try not to jump to conclusions based on one person's account of anything, especially without any evidence. While she can prove that she was out of state on a certain date, she hasn't shown any evidence to prove that's when Sentai made their decision.

As for the thread you linked, while it is an interesting read, it's nothing more than conjecture from people with no inside knowledge of the events. Though I definitely have to agree that nepotism usually seems to be much less of a problem at Sentai than it has been at Funimation in the past.

As for VA continuity, every studio has had issues with it in the past, and every studio has taken steps to accel at it in the past. Sentai contracted Bang Zoom for a number of dubs, including Persona 4, Fate/Stay Night UBW, and a few others. They also brought back most of the cast and director for Queen's Blade, and have reunited casts from older ADV shows (though not always entirely.). Funimation has had its share of recasts, such as the majority of the Trigun cast. Aniplex also had the notorious Fate/Zero incident, where most of the cast was brought back but placed in different roles (and not always for the better.). And of course Sentai had the last season of Rozen Maiden and Fate/Kaleid.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Reading the posts she did would have negated half of your post.

I looked on ANN and could find nothing linking to any news items about her being replaced in any dubs or having any problems with sentai. If anything being discussed here about her situation is true though, it's certainly weird and unusual.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1