• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Q&A: Legendary Mangaka Kenichi Sonoda

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Then, when we were about to do the Bubblegum Crisis 2040 television anime, the president who had disappeared came to AIC with a bunch of yakuza and demanded some money, because as far as he was concerned, they were using his company's work. Under Japanese law, you're not supposed to discuss which Yakuza family you're from, but this yakuza mentioned this, and was caught. The president, once again, simply ran away. Since then, the president is nowhere to be found, and I have no idea what he's doing!

o_o

Well that was a fun read, as interviews/Q&As with Sonoda tend to be. I'm looking forward to the commentary tracks on the upcoming Riding Bean blu-ray.

By the way, the Otaku USA account of this Q&A says there might be plans for a new Gunsmith Cats anime rather than Bubblegum Crisis, so...I'm assuming one of these is incorrect...?
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
That was an excellent read. Thanks for posting the interview.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Man I want a Gunsmith Cats tv series based on the original manga.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Kenichi Sonoda has always been one of my favorite artist of the day. I guess it's the nostalgia factor from my HS days when I was first exposed to anime OVAs. AIC was one of the first companies who's work I watched and I was an avid fan of BGC. After revisiting it I couldn't pass up owning it and getting it for our collection. It's a classic in it's own right and I really wish that they had elaborated on it a little more. But for some reason the way it was constructed kind of added to the creation of it. Like chapters that had arcs and others that felt self-contained. But then it ended and left you on a cliffhanger. Only to follow up with less satisfying (but still appreciated) sequels. I had the chance to go back and grab some of the AD Police stuff as well.

I never got into BGC 2040 due to designs this was due to the new "house-style" that AIC adopted after Tenchi. One day I'll revisit it.

What I would love to see done today is them adapt Sonoda's GSC and take it back to his stylization that we all remember.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
What are his other Manga titles like? Cannon God Exaxxion and Bullet the Wizard.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Gunsmith Cats is one of my favorite manga and the chance that it may get another animated adaptation has me a little excited. I hope they include the material with Gray, Bonnie and Clyde, and Goldie, as well as Misty and Bean Bandit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Considering what was said at the end of the article, I doubt he's going back to regular drawing ever again.
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:06 am Reply with quote
I can't imagine if Gunsmith Cats got another animated project. One of the earliest Anime that got me into the fandom and probably the first Manga series I was actively buying/collecting I have everything that was ever printed of the series including the old regular comic books.

Was the only Anime series I could ever get my best friend to ever sit down and watch.

I would so love to meet him person, if I had known he was in Seattle awhile back I would have made the trip out their just for him.

As for Cannon God it did pretty bad state side that Dark Horse never finished releasing the entire series, which sucks I was collecting it even though it was ok. Bullet don't know it was never published in English or scanlated but had a short run so guess it tells you how it was received.

To me GSC will always be his crowning work.

Last edited by Dfens on Thu May 04, 2017 12:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for a new Gunsmith Cats anime like forever. First Jojo then Devilman and now possibly Gunsmith Cats. I do like how this generation of anime that we get more classic anime remakes. A new Bubblegum Crisis anime would be great too with a compete ending.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
I've been waiting for a new Gunsmith Cats anime like forever. First Jojo then Devilman and now possibly Gunsmith Cats. I do like how this generation of anime that we get more classic anime remakes. A new Bubblegum Crisis anime would be great too with a compete ending.
Didn't we get a, at the time modern, new BGC in the form of Tokyo 2040?
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
The original BGC is still one of my favorite anime's of all time. I still highly recommend people take time out and check it out.. it's almost a coming of age requirement for Otaku!
Crash, was not bad and I think was handled well. As for Tokyo 2040... No way! that was a mess. I personally would rather keep this series as-is I'm not sure a modern re-do would add anything new and that "era" of anime is long past.

Just saying.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Gall Force and Gunsmith Cats were my favorite Kenichi Sonada works. Though I did like Cannon God Exxaxion, too. Hopefully, Bullet the Wizard will make it to our shores sometime.

Was the interview condensed, it doesn't seem like an hour's worth of stuff, but perhaps I am wrong.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Running Wild wrote:
Man I want a Gunsmith Cats tv series based on the original manga.

This. I would love it so much if we were to see this happen.

We need more of this kind of action and car chases these days too, so hopefully that would get more people to watch too.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:

That show is almost 20 years old. The younger fans won't get into it because it is too old looking.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote
Spawn29 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:

That show is almost 20 years old. The younger fans won't get into it because it is too old looking.
Really? I mean I have heard many times people say that new fans won't like a show because it is to old, but I've never seen it. I've seen kids watch stuff like Tom & Jerry and the classic Goofy cartoons from the 40s, and they never asked if they were old.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2