• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Debuts Little Witch Academia TV Anime's 1st 13 Episodes on June 30

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Netflix needs to get out of the anime game or conform to the release standards of the other streaming sites. None of this binging BS and releasing series after they are finished airing.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
They'll probably release the other episodes by the beginning of Fall, if not the end of the year. Can't wait to finally watch it (legally) and hopefully its as fun and adventurous as the OVAs.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
It's about time. I'm going to seriously be angry with Netflix if these 13 episodes don't come out with a dub on June 30th, though.

Not because subs bother me, but because if we weren't waiting on a dub, what the hell took so long?! Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:09 am Reply with quote
Why has Netflix handled such a high profile series so messily? Why didn't they give it the Kuromukuro treatment and release the first cour at the start of spring? Feels like they killed the momentum this series had by withholding it for so long
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
I was going to be more excited, but then I saw it was only the first 13 episodes. Still glad to finally see it though.

I don't mind waiting, but if they were more consistent with their two cours shows, I would appreciate it. Seven Deadly Sins was streamed in full over a year after premiere (or over six months after it ended). Kuromukuro was streamed in two parts at the end of each cours, like their single cours shows. This one seems to split the difference between the two. As long as the cours break makes for a better stopping point than Kuromukuro's, I'm fine with it streaming in two pieces.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
Finally! I've been wondering when they would start releasing the episodes on their platform. The longer the wait, the sweeter the reward was my mindset for waiting this long to have a legal way to watch this series, and now we've gotten a release date.(In my opinion, Netflix could certainly be better when it comes to streaming anime, but at least they don't have a double paywall for people to access it.) Phew, I'm relieved that I didn't cave in to illegal methods of viewing this. Just a little bit more waiting left until we will be able to see the little witches again. Very Happy
MaLazer

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
So not only are they making us wait until it's finished airing to watch it, they're only giving us half of the entire series, with no indication as to when we'll get the rest? Is Netflix just... confused? It hurt enough that they we're making us wait, now they're just throwing dirt in our faces?

I can imagine the CEO in a conference about how to handle anime streaming and just yelling "BINGE WATCHING" every time someone suggests something.
"People are really angry... maybe we should just stream this normally- "
"NO. BINGE WATCHING. THE FUTURE OF ENTERTAINMENT."
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
There's no reason for this. Even with a dub. They should've released it weekly as it airs like they do with Chelsea. Like they do with this very show in Japan. No excuse. People really need to send Netflix a message. Tweet them about this. Email them. Facebook. Whatever. They need to know anime fans in the West watch anime WEEKLY. Releasing only 13 episodes when the show has already finished it's run is absolutely pathetic.

I'll be even more upset when they call the first 13 episodes "Season 1" and the 2nd half "Season 2" despite the fact that it's only one season.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Feels like they killed the momentum this series had by withholding it for so long

What they've done is unintentionally convince everyone to pirate it. Especially now, when they finally get around to actually telling us when it'll be out, and it's... not for another month, and only half the series. It'll be done airing in Japan by then.

I'm relatively patient about show releases--often takes me forever to get around to watching the new episode of anything--but most people in this community want to see new episodes as soon as possible, and all at the same time, so they can talk about it with the other fans and not worry about getting spoiled. Netflix apparently does not understand this at all.

They also don't seem to understand that this series is vastly more popular overseas than in Japan. The Kickstarter-sponsor credits names in Enchanted Parade were literally 99% English, and that campaign is probably the only reason this series was even made. So, Netflix, in its negative-infinite wisdom, decided to simulcast it in Japan, where it's unpopular, and maybe-eventually-cast it in the US, where it's enormously popular. Making a dub is no excuse for such a long delay; Funimation seemingly gets "simul"dubs out within a few weeks, and subbed versions go up even earlier. I don't know if it's some corporate policy nonsense or just cluelessness, but they really dropped the ball... down a tunnel, going through the entire planet.

I mean, it hasn't affected me or anyone being able to watch it because, y'know... where there's a will, there's a way. It's just kinda sad, because now hardly anyone is actually going to watch it legally, and that will hurt the show in the long run. By the time the whole thing's on Netflix, the hype train will be long gone; if they'd just put it up quickly, like all the other streaming sites do, it could have gained a lot of fans and, presumably, money.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
The thing a lot of people aren't getting is that hardcore anime fans aren't the audience Netflix is going for here. Those folks are either going to pirate shows the week they come out, or they've got Crunchyroll subscriptions. Netflix isn't interested in competing with Crunchyroll: they serve different niches. The "binge" model has worked very well for Netflix, and their experiments with releasing shows week by week generally have been failures.

With this show they're going for the general Netflix-viewing geek market, people who expect to be able to binge a season of a show at once if they want to. Due to its content, LWA is probably also going to be aimed at an all-ages, young adult audience (the same crowd they reeled in with their Series of Unfortunate Events show) because LWA seems to fit that group well. It's not a kids' show per say, but there's nothing in it that's objectionable for younger viewers.

tl,dr: Netflix is freaking huge and they are going to aim for general audiences rather than the otaku crowd, because that's the bigger market.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote
Way, way, way, WAY too late. Netflix has the worst anime service.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
The longer the wait, the sweeter the reward was my mindset for waiting this long to have a legal way to watch this series

I started watching the show on Blu-ray last month. Why wait?
AtoMan

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:35 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Not because subs bother me, but because if we weren't waiting on a dub, what the hell took so long?! Evil or Very Mad

Several dubs, actually. All of them produced pretty much simultaneously.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:28 am Reply with quote
Here's hoping someone licenses it soon, be it Sentai or Funimation or other, it doesn't matter to me. It's just getting more and more hopelessly tempting to import the English-subbed Japanese blu-rays, price be damned.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
I hope Devilman crybaby is a different animal. Netflix needs an anime that is actually their product. I can only assume it's the companies in Japan that hold such a feat from happening.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4