• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Declare 2017's Favorite Tales of Characters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Heh, polls dominated by female voters as usual. Glad to see my boy Asbel still rank highly.

Alisha might be placed 17th but she's 2nd among the females which is great to see.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Title should be "Fujoshi declare 2017's favorite Tale characters"
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

It makes me wonder if they should split the lists between males' and females' favorites like what you see in Newtype polls.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Mikleo winning is right. He is best boy after all and one of tales's best. Sorey and Mikleo have to be my own personnal favorites.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Glad to see my boy Asbel still rank highly.

He had to protect his spot. Honestly, don't know what people see in Bienfu ( a character that is annoying in both english and japanese). Wish Laphicet was a little higher but I like that Eisen was really high.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

I'm surprised Rokuro is not higher in that case. But Magilou is 26th so bad taste all round.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Correction to the article: Under Mascots, it's Rolo, not Lulu. He's Ludger's cat.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
For me, my top 5 are Luke (Abyss), Yuri (Vesperia), Pascal (Graces), Tear (Abyss), and Sheena (Symphonia). Granted, I haven't started Zestiria or Berseria yet.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Okay I looked at the list like 20 times and I did not Yuri on there, probably the best character in the series, and one I think would be popular with the Fujoshi that seemed to dominat the list.

Also def think this was a female strong voting pool, because the top is heavy with really feminine or annoying characters, while the more brash and cocky characters are towards the bottom. Kratos should easily be top five.
kasumicc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Okay I looked at the list like 20 times and I did not Yuri on there, probably the best character in the series, and one I think would be popular with the Fujoshi that seemed to dominat the list.

Poll history: since the creation of this poll, the character that largely dominated every single year was Leon. So much, that they decided to put Leon in some sort of "hall of fame" as remove him as a choice altogether. Once Leon was removed, dominance went to Yuri instead.

So nowadays both Yuri and Leon are the eternal champions of this poll. They're not choices anymore because otherwise they'll win for certain xD
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Glad Ludger still ranks high, even as Tales' first "silent" protagonist, he's pretty awesome (having an actually good outfit probably helps, most Tales leads look like they ran headfirst through a Goodwill and only picked the most mismatching parts possible, and some of them look like they did it as a kid, grew out of certain parts of the outfit, then never bothered to replace them). I'm rather disappointed people still like Luke though, he goes from whiny to bleeding heart and I kind of hate both sides of him. I also just find Sorrey really really bland.
And apparently, no one likes Legendia or Hearts. Chloe is awesome in Legendia, and in Hearts, it's hard not to like Ines, a woman who can knock out a cyborg that all the other characters break their hands on even trying to punch it jokingly, then sling it over her shoulder and just waltz off. Also disappointed to not see Kohaku/Amber Hearts, definitely one of the more likable Tales girls, in my opinion (she's not whiny, she's proactive, and unlike Colette, doesn't massively suck in battle)
While I'm no fan of Zestiria in general, Edna is basically Toph, so it's good to see her on that list.

But whenever I get disappointed in the Japanese people's character popularity polls, I can now remember that they really really like Goro Akechi from Persona 5. Not going to get into spoiler territory, but I pretty much hated Akechi from the instant we met him (and my opinions only went lower).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
Mikleo is also best girl/waifu for some people, but that's a joke that's been stretched to the far corners of the Earthpulse and then some. XD

Luke still being high up there is no surprise. Besides the fact Tales of the Abyss is as repeatedly discussed and analyzed as Madoka is over there, he's a favorite of many for his spoiler[big change], though overseas gamers think much less of him for that event being completely unrealistic.

Repede is the king of canines. You can't oppose him. Funny that Rollo is second to him though, when you consider the Japanese love cats way more than dogs. Repede is playable on the other hand, and a freaking ninja dog. You can't top that.

Barbatos's popularity comes from Norio Wakamoto's lines for him becoming as meme-worthy as Veigue screaming Claire's name all the time. Who could forget this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GI3qyT5hApU

classicalzawa wrote:
But whenever I get disappointed in the Japanese people's character popularity polls, I can now remember that they really really like Goro Akechi from Persona 5. Not going to get into spoiler territory, but I pretty much hated Akechi from the instant we met him (and my opinions only went lower).

I hear you. Hard to respect someone who spoiler[fell victim to the almighty allure of pancakes and gave himself away so much earlier on]. Ace detective my butt. XD

I imagine the first thing the Japanese voters go for is looks, so great adult characters like Sojiro get shafted because they're "middle-aged and unattractive" to the majority of these gamers while "hotties" like Akechi get tons of votes easily by virtue of physical appearance.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
And apparently, no one likes Legendia or Hearts. Chloe is awesome in Legendia, and in Hearts, it's hard not to like Ines, a woman who can knock out a cyborg that all the other characters break their hands on even trying to punch it jokingly, then sling it over her shoulder and just waltz off. Also disappointed to not see Kohaku/Amber Hearts, definitely one of the more likable Tales girls, in my opinion (she's not whiny, she's proactive, and unlike Colette, doesn't massively suck in battle)

I've been playing Hearts lately so I'm a bit sad they didn't make it in Sad
I can't speak heaps about Kohaku because as far as I've played she's spent most of the game being emotionless, but her relation with Hisui is pretty cute.
I also like Kor/Shingu, because he's such a kid. And Beryl.... and... Actually all the characters are fun in their own way, but I guess they're not so memorable?
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:56 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

I've been playing Hearts lately so I'm a bit sad they didn't make it in Sad
I can't speak heaps about Kohaku because as far as I've played she's spent most of the game being emotionless, but her relation with Hisui is pretty cute.
I also like Kor/Shingu, because he's such a kid. And Beryl.... and... Actually all the characters are fun in their own way, but I guess they're not so memorable?

I've only played the game recently myself (needed a breather after the behemoth that was Persona 5). Kohaku will get a lot more interesting once she gets all her heart pieces or whatever back. Thankfully, it does not take the entire game. And even before that, I found her to be the most fun to play as, easily. I always like the idea that I can heal myself, but her kicks are pretty awesome too.
I'm not a big fan of Beryl though. She's pretty obnoxious to hear talk, and she's completely useless in battle. Almost everyone (except Kor and Ines) can use massive magic attacks anyway that hit at least as hard as hers do (if not better), except they don't have the defense of a wet paper bag.

I'm honestly questioning how the game originally functioned without Chalcedony as a playable. He's certainly more important and useful to the story than Beryl is, and he's one of the best characters in combat too (good strength and speed and he can Heal!), but in the DS game, he only gets a "cameo attack". I know this was all due to the DS's system limitations, but still, I would've picked Chalcedony over Beryl for a party member any day. It also helps that, at least in the Vita version, spoiler[he is light elemental, which the final boss is weak to!]

I do rather question their decision in naming "Hisui" though. Tales was already at their one-Jade-limit on Abyss, why would they name a character the Japanese word for "Jade"? Sometimes I see he gets translated as "Jadeite", probably specifically for this very reason.

Still, if anyone has a Vita or PSTV lying around that they probably bought for P4 Golden then stuck in the closet and don't know what to do with it anymore, Hearts R is a really fun game at the very least.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
Kor and Beryl are my favorites from Tales of Hearts . Glad to see Sorey and Asbel up there. I still need to try out a few more Tales games though so I don't know about a few other characters atm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2