• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Report invasive ads here (archived)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
^I'm guessing it's the same thing I'm getting. Gotcha covered on that screenshot.

This is the new fabulous "pop up" that I keep getting. It actually makes it so that I have to force close my browser using the task manager and restore everything on relaunch. That's not working out. Unfortunately I'm going to have to re-enable adblock on ANN for a bit. Confused
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reports everyone. I've notified the provider of the (probably) guilty ad network and he disabled the (probably) infected ads. I hope this stops the problems, and I'm really sorry about the trouble we've caused all of you.
m(_ _)m

But really, I'm pulling my hair out. Especially over this one:
Emerje wrote:
So I'm at the top of the front page getting read to scroll down when I'm suddenly shot to the bottom of the page and pointed at these two ads.
Those ads are running in a sandbox. Meaning that it's theoretically impossible for them to mess with the page. So how it it possible for the page to automatically scroll down there?!? Anime dazed Anime dazed Anime dazed Anime cry

So, yeah, the word of the day: malvertising Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
Whelp the video ads are back and laggy as shit.

Though they're not as laggy as past video ads (typing is slow, but at least all my letters appear unlike before), but still. And 3 of them going at once? As you can see it says "Ads by Owl Agency" but all click on them does is pause the video. No other site opens up.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:23 am Reply with quote
I don't get any invasive ads. I can use the site just fine, the pages just seem to load indefinitely. Says "Transferring data from googleads.g.doubleclick.net" It'll cycle through some other addresses but they go by so quickly that I don't have enough time to read them.
Slowzhand

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Whelp the video ads are back and laggy as shit.

Though they're not as laggy as past video ads (typing is slow, but at least all my letters appear unlike before), but still. And 3 of them going at once? As you can see it says "Ads by Owl Agency" but all click on them does is pause the video. No other site opens up.

I'm also having trouble with these "Owl Agency" ads. They begin playing with sound even when I'm not on the page. If I try to mute them or 'change ad', all they do is start up again.

Probably a stupid question, but does being a paid member get rid of these?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
A paid member can get rid of all ads. It is your choice as to what you want to see. I usually leave the ad "skins" showing as they are mostly anime related. I can turn those off on an as needed basis also. (some are a bit visually distracting)
ivanchoFAA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
There several suspicions ads all around the website
Malwarebytes is reporting and blocking infections too
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Do the IKEA ads that have been showing up on-site recently count as these? They're video ads that slow the page down, they show up on over 90% of the pages I visit, and scrolling over them forces the scroll bar to move at times. I'd rather they leave the site than force me to put up with them for any longer.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm having major issues with invasive ads on the mobile website. The ads have gotten out of hand in general - in the Shelf Life column, there's an ad before every single entry, many of them larger than the segment itself!

The ads I'm having the most problems with redirect me away from the website. One has a text box that says I've qualified for a free iphone, and I have to click a button to use my browser at all; the only way around it is to uninstall and reinstall the whole app.

The other one takes me to a site asking me to take a survey for an Amazon gift card, and hitting back only takes me back to the same page so I can't get to the ANN page I was trying to read.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
This morning I was fed two scammy ads when visiting this site with my mobile phone. Both of them claimed to have free offers from places like Amazon and Google, though neither site was affiliated with them. Closing the ads closed the site making it impossible to view the content.
The Alaskan Assassin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:49 am Reply with quote
I just had an ad attack going to the x-button archive which had a high pitch alarm. It had another popup window in front of the webpage so you cannot shut down the page itself
I had to shut my browser through the apple icon drop menu item "force shutdown".
The site claimed my computer was being attacked and I had 2 minutes to click on a button to report to apple.

The website address was: http://apple.com-webbrowsing-security. review/ en"then, a bunch of code which nearly filed this screen."
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
A Congradulations! You Won Popup shows up every time I go into the forums. Also it occurs whenever I click on an article. I can barely read a sentence before it redirects me. It only happens on Anime News Network. This is on an ipad.

http://projectrosy.com

Also I am new so I am sorry if I am doing anything wrong.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Same thing is happening except it is under a different website this time:

http://brickages.com

http://brickages.com/show.php?c=walmart&p=8046c720812067e5470bf9dab134f975&subid=Y7909377261499981899977775&t=1499981899

It still takes you to a website that says you won a gift card.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Evil or Very Mad

<damnit>

Thank you for the information, we are looking into it!

If it happens to you again, what we really need (as much of this as possible)

The page you were reading on ANN (the URL)
The URL of the page you are redirected to or the pop-up
The time (including timezone) as exact as possible
Your IP address

If you're uncomfortable posting this on ANN, you can e-mail it to [email protected]

I'm going to ask our new programmers to make an improved REPORT AD feature....
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
I've been sent here by my good friend Psycho101, since apparently the ANN autoplay videos from the bottom of articles are bugs. Why do I feel like this is just a bad new "feature" of the website?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 26