• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: William Winckler Productions Announces English-Dubbed Pilots of PriPara, Net Ghost PiPoPa Anim

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Since I know NOTHING of these three shows, the most interesting piece of news this has for me is that they got Sarah Emi Bridcutt in an english dub.

I know she's half austrailian, but does anyone know how well she speaks english?
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious as to what they plan to do with these. None of the current kids' channels really bite on anime like this, except maybe Disney X-D for PiPoPa. I hope they don't just leave them to rot on Amazon streaming like Minky Momo. (Say, what happened to Minky Momo? The compilation films aren't even on Amazon anymore.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kyokun47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Since I know NOTHING of these three shows, the most interesting piece of news this has for me is that they got Sarah Emi Bridcutt in an english dub.

I know she's half austrailian, but does anyone know how well she speaks english?
Maybe the character already has english lines? I'm not sure either lol...
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I'm curious as to what they plan to do with these. None of the current kids' channels really bite on anime like this, except maybe Disney X-D for PiPoPa. I hope they don't just leave them to rot on Amazon streaming like Minky Momo. (Say, what happened to Minky Momo? The compilation films aren't even on Amazon anymore.)

The plan is to pitch them to TV networks and any other interested party. Doesn't mean there will be any buyers, though. Most pilots go unsold.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure where WWP is going with these three shows, but I'm hoping at least one of them makes the cut...
Sota-Son

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Well if you know "NOTHING" about them then a simple google search should help. Also you do realize Australians speak English right?...
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
William Winckler Productions produced the Nintama Rantaro no Uchū Daibōken with Cosmic Front Next spinoff anime series pilot episodes under the title Ninjaboys: Quest for the Cosmic Front.

Holy freaking crap! FINALLY!!! Something from Nintama has been dubbed! I'm so psyched right now! As for the title change, I'm totally fine with it since "Nintama" won't make any sense to American mainstream audiences. Hopefully, if this performs well, they also dub the regular series. Very Happy

CatSword wrote:

Yeah, pretty much all the current kids networks (except for Disney X-D) hate anime, so WowMax Next really shouldn't bother chasing after kids networks. Instead, they should try getting these on a streaming service. They could try Crunchyroll, but most kids don't go on there. Therefore, in order to reach the widest audience possible, these should stream on either Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon (not on Anime Strike, but on Prime Video).
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure these dubs are intended for southeast Asia, not the states.

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
The same person is the lead in all three shows.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Sota-Son wrote:
Also you do realize Australians speak English right?...

We don't speak English here, mate. We speak 'Strain here. None of that fancy pants "English", we ain't no bloody poms.

They know. That was their point. Due to her being half Australian, they were wondering if that meant they could speak English or not. Just because you're half something doesn't necessarily mean you can speak it. Heck, there are people who are 100% something who don't speak the native language because of where they live. It's a fair question if you don't know anything about Sarah Emi (I know very little about her other than that I was excited when I first learned she was half Australian).

Anyway, personally I have never heard of William Winckler but hey, it's nice they're bringing new shows to English speaking markets, even if it's smaller name shows.
Seems they have a small casting range, considering Mr. Winckler himself is voicing characters in 2/3 shows.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Pripara will be a tough sell and a half unlike Love Live for a multitude of reasons (one being if even try to televise that there will be a few issues, one being a toyline since Toonami is on Adult Swim, good luck selling that to the viewership of current Toonami, it isn't going to go anywhere, I also don't think many would watch it on other channels especially kids). The best place for a Pripara dub is Netflix or CR.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
I'm pretty sure these dubs are intended for southeast Asia, not the states.

Hmm, it's a possibility. But I really hope these see a US release, along with other territories in the Anglosphere. We shouldn't be missing out.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm more surprised that the original character names were all kept.
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I'm more surprised that the original character names were all kept.

Why? Dubs have been doing that for years.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I should repeat these are jsut pilots. If they get picked up by anyone they may do further tweaks. "yes we'll buy this show, but please change X Y Z."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2