• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Real Anime Inspirations Behind the Creations of Re:Creators

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
If you're talking about Fate, Altair also has a "dash" of Demon Archer spoiler[Oda Nobunaga]spoiler[. More or less same design in my opinion. Neutral]
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Actually as far as I can tell, there is much more fanart of Magane featuring her outfit from the last episode (if it can be called that) than her stepping on anyone. Definitely don't mind that.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
What do you people think about the idea that Blitz Talker has some elements of Emiya Kiritsugu in his design and personality

Blitz has a similar type of weapon: high power gun with special bullets, he has a very pragmentic personality, and he has a backstory that involves a daughter's death spoiler[even though Kiritsugu's act was more metaphorical due to the Grail's vision]

Hell, in the first opening, there is a shot of Blitz firing the revolver that is composition wise, very close to Kiritsugu firing the Contender at Kayneth
jtron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
And here I thought Magane was inspired by Ougi from Monogatari
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
I feel like this article is pretty spot on, and matches what i was thinking.

It's interesting trying to pin down Selesia's inspirations, because when i think about it, most light novels don't have a powerful, female lead character like that. They tend to have a powerful MALE lead, with many female characters around them (because i'm pretty sure appealing female characters + art are what sell light novels). Sword Art Online is as good a guess as any, because if Selesia's fictionsl LN series was actually true to real life, several of the covers would have either many of the female characters in attractive poses, or showcase one female character at a time (Arifureta, Lord Marksmen).
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
jtron wrote:
And here I thought Magane was inspired by Ougi from Monogatari

Still a valid interpretation, I'd say.

Definitely see some Madoka elements in Mamika and that 'care for the whole world personality', and some Saber in Alice.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
When it comes to interacting with her "father" Selesia is very much a tsundere archetype, intriguing enough the red as a color design has also been tied up with the often fiery personality of many a Tsundere.

Amusingly, Takashi slightly resembles what perhaps if Shinji Ikari someone lived long enough to become middle aged.
scrwbll19

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I feel that Selesia is more of an homage to characters like Stella Vermillion ("Chivalry of a Failed Knight"), Julis Reissfeld ("The Asterisk War"), and maybe Shinonono Houki ("Infinite Stratos") at least in terms of personality. While I can see some Asuna and Ange in there, I am not fully convinced.

Magane reminds me more of Enoshima Junko from the "Danganronpa" video games. The parallels in terms of their characters are striking. Both have murderous intentions to relieve their boredom. Despite their preference to dirty their hands directly, they will still kill if push comes to shove. The JK thing is in full force for them, in all of its implications. I could go on...

Altair is more of a commentary on the doujin scene in general, I feel. While I think Hatsune Miku does work, other comparable works like "Touhou Project" come to mind. In the canonical games by ZuN, the characters are pretty much blank slates to be filled out by the rest of the fan community. Many, if not most, of the memes and things known about the characters come from the fans, not ZuN himself. However, her style seems to be more influenced by characters like Fumika from "Shigofumi," which came out back in 2008. (Side note: If you have not seen that, it worth the watch.)

The rest of the characters I felt were pretty spot on or close enough to call it a day.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
I feel like this article is pretty spot on, and matches what i was thinking.

It's interesting trying to pin down Selesia's inspirations, because when i think about it, most light novels don't have a powerful, female lead character like that. They tend to have a powerful MALE lead, with many female characters around them (because i'm pretty sure appealing female characters + art are what sell light novels). Sword Art Online is as good a guess as any, because if Selesia's fictionsl LN series was actually true to real life, several of the covers would have either many of the female characters in attractive poses, or showcase one female character at a time (Arifureta, Lord Marksmen).

Gonna have to disagree with you. Now most female characters are the OP ones and the males are the underdogs. Heck, it's not even that much of a recent thing, even tho it was rarer back then. Zero no Tsukaima's Saito was really good and whatever, but Louise was the OP one. <.< Her status as a priestess(?) of Void gave her a crap load of power.

I'll agree that MC's surround themselves with females or whatever, but the females aren't week. Just look at . If you're caught up with the LN, you'll know that the Females are crazy strong, even the ones from the main cast.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Gonna have to disagree with you. Now most female characters are the OP ones and the males are the underdogs. Heck, it's not even that much of a recent thing, even tho it was rarer back then. Zero no Tsukaima's Saito was really good and whatever, but Louise was the OP one. <.< Her status as a priestess(?) of Void gave her a crap load of power.

I'll agree that MC's surround themselves with females or whatever, but the females aren't week. Just look at . If you're caught up with the LN, you'll know that the Females are crazy strong, even the ones from the main cast.

He's talking about Strong Female Characters there, not Strong, Female Characters.

The comma's important there. Powerlevels don't mean a thing if your character's character isn't up to snuff.

Oh right, I forgot to mention how Altair is obviously Gilgamesh because she has all the powers and shoots people full of swords while being beautifully smug.
mnordhoff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Alicetaria is surely inspired by Saber, but in character design, she's closer to a dead ringer for Centorea from Monster Musume, or Bishamonten from Noragami.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/000/985/86c.jpg
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/012/149/ab0.jpg

http://pm1.narvii.com/6251/3ef34a60e53445e4c3df9f6c2a21156dc1a40a5c_hq.jpg

(Blonde knights are not in short supply in anime.)
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Gonna have to disagree with you. Now most female characters are the OP ones and the males are the underdogs. Heck, it's not even that much of a recent thing, even tho it was rarer back then. ...

FilthyCasual wrote:

He's talking about Strong Female Characters there, not Strong, Female Characters. The comma's important there. Powerlevels don't mean a thing if your character's character isn't up to snuff.

I guess i wasn't very clear with my point, and i did forget about most of the "magic high school" genre which, from what i understand, tend to feature a very powerful female lead, and a male lead who is supposedly the weakest but has some ability that makes him the strongest in practice (Chivalry, Irregular, etc.); i haven't gotten into this genre at all yet.

I was focusing more on the fact that 1) Selesia seems to be by far the most important female character in her story, rather than part of a group or 'harem', which would be shockingly rare, and 2) she has a strong personality and character, and seems to stand on equal footing with the male lead. To be honest, this fictional LN series sounds like one i would love to read!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:

Beatrice: main character, favors red, uses fire and a 1 handed sword, is a bad ass. I think their personality is sort of similar too.

A more popular one would be Shana, though I don't think she is that close of a match to Selesia. Another close match might be Stella from Chivalry even though she is a supporting character.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Merxamers wrote:
AksaraKishou wrote:
Gonna have to disagree with you. Now most female characters are the OP ones and the males are the underdogs. Heck, it's not even that much of a recent thing, even tho it was rarer back then. ...

FilthyCasual wrote:

He's talking about Strong Female Characters there, not Strong, Female Characters. The comma's important there. Powerlevels don't mean a thing if your character's character isn't up to snuff.

I guess i wasn't very clear with my point, and i did forget about most of the "magic high school" genre which, from what i understand, tend to feature a very powerful female lead, and a male lead who is supposedly the weakest but has some ability that makes him the strongest in practice (Chivalry, Irregular, etc.); i haven't gotten into this genre at all yet.

I was focusing more on the fact that 1) Selesia seems to be by far the most important female character in her story, rather than part of a group or 'harem', which would be shockingly rare, and 2) she has a strong personality and character, and seems to stand on equal footing with the male lead. To be honest, this fictional LN series sounds like one i would love to read!

I stand corrected then. And i sorta agree too. Wink
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
What do you people think about the idea that Blitz Talker has some elements of Emiya Kiritsugu in his design and personality

Blitz has a similar type of weapon: high power gun with special bullets, he has a very pragmentic personality, and he has a backstory that involves a daughter's death spoiler[even though Kiritsugu's act was more metaphorical due to the Grail's vision]

Hell, in the first opening, there is a shot of Blitz firing the revolver that is composition wise, very close to Kiritsugu firing the Contender at Kayneth
That was my thought when I watched episode 15 since Blitz's personality and sense of tragedy are a close match to Kiritsugu's. For the story world he comes from though Solty Rei is the right type of cyberpunk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3