• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: My Hero Academia's Yoshihiko Umakoshi and Chris Sabat

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm a super big fan of Umakoshi, and even though he says Horikoshi's designs were good enough (they are), you can tell he was the perfect guy for the job and (especially) All Might, I really like that he is enjoying it like that and how aware he is of that character.

Just as a side note, I think the part of "Yutapon" should have at least a parenthesis for Yutaka Nakamura's page here and maybe a link to his full scene (and his other one). Yutapon is more of a fan name so maybe it'd fit the interview better for people who aren't into the knowhow.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
I'm a super big fan of Umakoshi, and even though he says Horikoshi's designs were good enough (they are), you can tell he was the perfect guy for the job and (especially) All Might, I really like that he is enjoying it like that and how aware he is of that character.

Just as a side note, I think the part of "Yutapon" should have at least a parenthesis for Yutaka Nakamura's page here and maybe a link to his full scene (and his other one). Yutapon is more of a fan name so maybe it'd fit the interview better for people who aren't into the knowhow.

Good point. Link to his encyclopedia entry has been added.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Really good interview. They both seem like pretty adorable people.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Fun interview. I imagine that it was not just the art style, but also all the American place name themed attacks that made even people involved with the anime think that All Might was American instead of Japanese. Turns out it's just a fun example of cultural borrowing aimed at a Japanese audience.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
While I don't know how good their English skills are, it is nice to know when a Japanese
staff (writer, director, producer, etc.) member, the series creator, or seiyuu compliment about an English dub voice actor/actress's performance. You can especially use this as ammunition against the anti-dub elitists.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1