• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hitorijime My Hero (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote

Hitorijime My Hero (TV)

Genres: drama, romance
Themes: student teacher relationship, yaoi

Plot Summary: (pending; PM me one to insert if you can make it good.)
----------------------------------

Creating this thread at the request of Gina Szanboti.
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
To be honest, the Boyfriend couple is the weakest as it deal with some of the negative tropes of BL. Although the anime seems to have toned it down. Hero will start with episode 4 I think.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
This is kind of like your classic awful but can't look away car crash. I'm having trouble following what's going on, but I don't know why, because it's not that complicated, I think. Maybe it's because so far not one character in this has behaved in anything remotely like a rational manner, or even like a besmitten human being. I can't understand anyone's reasons for acting like they do, except maybe Setagawa, so I'm left with this inchoate fog of conflicting ideas I can't get to gel into anything concrete that I can wrap my head around.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:05 am Reply with quote
So it's starting to gel a little better with episode 5. A couple of things make me feel a little better about the plot now. The feelings between them began before he became a teacher, so even if Kousuke should be the grown-up and rein it in (i.e., it doesn't let him off the hook), it feels less predatory since people can't just turn off their emotions as the situation changes. It also helps to hear a little of his own thoughts instead of just watching him behave like a jerk. I'm also not clear on how big the age difference is.

Mitsuru is also becoming a bit more tolerable. Now that he's got Kensuke happily in his pocket, I guess he doesn't have to act like a total asshat all the time.

I did get a chuckle out of Setagawa throwing entire unopened packages of ingredients into the stew. Yum! Smile
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
So next ep. we'll get Kousuke saving his little uke-to-be from the big bad thugs, i suppose? Rolling Eyes

Clichés aside, i'm enjoying this a lot more than i expected. One of the reason might be that my expectations for BL anime are so low by now that the lack of rape, incest or a combination of the two already elevates a show to masterpiece level. There even is a female friend who's sole purpose isn't to get inbetween our wannabe-couple! Okay, there's the student/teacher thing, but you can't have it all... Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Well shit. I was starting to feel all sad and sympathetic to poor Masahiro's miserable plight and then Kousuke has to turn all rapey and stuff. He better pay for that glass!

I do not know what Hasekura sees in Kensuke. I guess he's the male version of the idiot 6 year old high school moe girl trope in other series. At least he's not clumsy and doesn't trip over his own feet.

Am I supposed to know who Yuko Yahashi is? oO
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:25 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Who?

Gotta love Kousuke's "developement" going from i am not worthy of being called sensei because of lusting after a student to breaking into said student's home to pin him down on the bed within a couple of minutes... Rolling Eyes

Now part of me wishes that those thugs would actually come to the rescue of their little Settie (hey, they do seem to care about him in their own special way... Wink ) and beat Kousuke to a pulp. That would be an unexpected development for once...
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:03 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Now part of me wishes that those thugs would actually come to the rescue of their little Settie (hey, they do seem to care about him in their own special way... Wink ) and beat Kousuke to a pulp. That would be an unexpected development for once...

The unexpected development I'm hoping for is that Setagawa and Kensuke elope and leave the semes in the dust. Seriously, it's amazing how this episode makes so much of a better case for the two of them getting together than for either of the two pairings that I'm supposed to be caring about.

Of course, that's probably even less likely than your desired development...*sighs*
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Who?

Oh good. The name on the (love?) letter Kousuke got at the beginning of the episode. He was musing about how out of character it was for him to call him "sensei" as if we should know what in-character was like.

Well, it does kind of seem like they're setting up for the gang to make the scene. So who knows how it will play out.

I can't remember who the broody stabby guy is with the stringy hair who's always squinting angrily and rubbing his locket. Was he there during the scenes of back when Settie was their gofer before Kousuke stepped in? I don't know what his deal is, and I don't want to rewatch it if I don't have to. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Well, close but no cigar, Merida. Smile Every time I see a scene like the shirt ripping, I flash back to Rocky Horror Picture Show when Janet rips off the hem of her slip to bandage Rocky and the audience yells, "Bandages! We need more bandages! This man is hurt!"

I'm still not sure how we got from the pounce on the bed to them just sitting on the floor 5 feet apart. But surprisingly, all my other questions got answered!

So was Setagawa painting the apartment? oO
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, all questions got answered, though some of the answers were pretty stupid...i actually felt bad for visual kei kid for being such a random plot device.

But well, i guess now the main couples are established, we can get to the...juicy parts now? Or is bed-pinning as far as it goes?! Wink

Also, where can i buy one of those Settie-cleaning-bots?!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
One thing I forgot to mention that's been on my mind is that I'd like to know how Settie came by all his ear piercings. That always seems to be a sign of a rebel or delinquent character, and while they look good on him, they don't quite fit his shy and cowering image, especially how many he has. Did his gang insist he get them? Did they do it or did he drop by the Piercing Pagoda kiosk at the mall? Did he choose them to try to fit in with the gang? It seems like they have a story to tell, even if we'll never hear it. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

Kousuke really seems to be going out of his way to be unlikable. Forget about the teacher/student part, he's just a manipulative shit of a human being. I'd rather see Settie go off with Fukushige than Kou.

Lol that Fukushige was bored with his new friends because they could only talk about girls.

That reconciliation scene... Shocked The handstand helicoptering across the frame is a new one on me...
animecosplayer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:19 am Reply with quote
I respect the LGBT community but I am not into this type of anime and my apology. Embarassed
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

Clichés aside, i'm enjoying this a lot more than i expected. One of the reason might be that my expectations for BL anime are so low by now that the lack of rape, incest or a combination of the two already elevates a show to masterpiece level. There even is a female friend who's sole purpose isn't to get inbetween our wannabe-couple! Okay, there's the student/teacher thing, but you can't have it all... Wink

I am right there with you. In episode eight or nine (I watched them together and can't recall which it was), I even thought, "Oh wow! Settie said stop and Kousuke stopped! What a great show!"

I do love the opening theme, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2