• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Idolish 7 TV Anime Reveals January 2018 Debut, Opening Scene, More of Voice Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringoiero360

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Super excited! I'm glad we finally got to hear Tsumugi~
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
How exactly does the '-ish' suffix operate here, if I may ask? Are these chaps only idols to a partial but vague degree?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Peebs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
How exactly does the '-ish' suffix operate here, if I may ask? Are these chaps only idols to a partial but vague degree?

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only thinking along those lines. Their name translated to English is Kinda Idols 7.

I feel like I've watched this anime. All these male idol shows are starting to blend in and the only one that really stands out is Utapri, but only because it's been on my radar the longest. Other male idol shows I've watched I've loved while in-season. Afterwards I'm very meh about them. If there's a "potential" love interest, I have no desire to watch it.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
It looks so good. I'm super pumped. I should start playing the mobile game too.

Also, seeing it animated - even if a trailer - makes me wish Arinacchi was working on mroe manga that could get anime adaptions (again).
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
... makes me wish Arinacchi was working on mroe manga that could get anime adaptions (again).

She mentioned at one of her panels at AnimeFest this year that she doesn't want her manga to be adapted to anime, so that could be the biggest issue as to why none of her works have been adapted to anime format for over a decade now.
Yumeko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only thinking along those lines. Their name translated to English is Kinda Idols 7.

I feel like I've watched this anime. All these male idol shows are starting to blend in and the only one that really stands out is Utapri, but only because it's been on my radar the longest. Other male idol shows I've watched I've loved while in-season. Afterwards I'm very meh about them. If there's a "potential" love interest, I have no desire to watch it.

I completely understand why you would feel like a lot of male idol shows are starting to blend together. Alas, I feel the same way sometimes. But IDOLiSH7 definitely stands on its own as a franchise with its cast full of charming characters, its catchy songs, and a really wonderful storyline full of emotional ups and downs. It brings something new to the table by breaking away from a lot of the male character stereotypes seen nowadays, and it is also different from some others as it is not an otome game. The main female manager is not a love interest (except perhaps arguably for one character not in the main unit), so there's no reverse harem-ish "romance".

I've played the mobile game since it came out over two years ago, and I can assure you that it definitely stands out from many of the other male idol franchises out there! Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed some of the others too, but I was never really into any 2D idol groups until IDOLiSH7 came along and stole my heart.

I know that a lot of people are likely jaded by the waves of male idol groups making their way into anime, but, assuming that the anime is a proper adaptation of the game, I definitely recommend giving IDOLiSH7 a try! (๑•̀ㅂ•́)b
carefreejules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I completely understand why you would feel like a lot of male idol shows are starting to blend together. Alas, I feel the same way sometimes. But IDOLiSH7 definitely stands on its own as a franchise with its cast full of charming characters, its catchy songs, and a really wonderful storyline full of emotional ups and downs. It brings something new to the table by breaking away from a lot of the male character stereotypes seen nowadays, and it is also different from some others as it is not an otome game. The main female manager is not a love interest (except perhaps arguably for one character not in the main unit), so there's no reverse harem-ish "romance".

I've played the mobile game since it came out over two years ago, and I can assure you that it definitely stands out from many of the other male idol franchises out there! Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed some of the others too, but I was never really into any 2D idol groups until IDOLiSH7 came along and stole my heart.

I know that a lot of people are likely jaded by the waves of male idol groups making their way into anime, but, assuming that the anime is a proper adaptation of the game, I definitely recommend giving IDOLiSH7 a try! (๑•̀ㅂ•́)b

I cannot preach this comment enough. The characters are so multi-faceted, the story is so emotional, but the series also tackles a lot of common issues/trends with the entertainment industry and how tough and corrupt it can be (especially seen in part 3 of the game's story). It's weird to say that I learned a lot from this series but I've seriously have! It's amazing how realistic and serious the story can be.

The series does an amazing job at providing light hearted and comedic moments but also packing that emotional punch that makes you really care about how much these guys go through and with each other.

I've watched a handful of idol anime and none of them have charmed me the way IDOLiSH7 has.
manapear

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
manapear wrote:
... makes me wish Arinacchi was working on mroe manga that could get anime adaptions (again).

She mentioned at one of her panels at AnimeFest this year that she doesn't want her manga to be adapted to anime, so that could be the biggest issue as to why none of her works have been adapted to anime format for over a decade now.

Say whaaaa. Oh my goodness, I wonder why. Sucks for me, I suppose. TTuTT

Well, it does seem like she has been shifted/graduated" onto older shojo and josei anyway, so anime adaptions were going to be less likely anyhow.

As for i7, Yumeko and carefreejules have me more excited to start the game and the anime. I'm still enjoy male idols (I mean, I'm not bored of female idols yet; it's all fun fanservice for me), but I look forward to the issues the series will tackle and how well it handles its characters.
carefreejules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
As for i7, Yumeko and carefreejules have me more excited to start the game and the anime. I'm still enjoy male idols (I mean, I'm not bored of female idols yet; it's all fun fanservice for me), but I look forward to the issues the series will tackle and how well it handles its characters.

I'm really happy to hear that! Part 1 and Part 2 of the story have been fully translated already while Part 3 is currently still being updated monthly! Like with anything, it might feel a bit slow at the start but things start to pick up pretty quickly and the humor has always been a charm of the series to keep fans engaged!
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:
Say whaaaa. Oh my goodness, I wonder why. Sucks for me, I suppose. TTuTT

Yes, she was asked "Which of your series would you like to see adapted into an anime?" and she answered that she didn't want to see any of them adapted. She gave no further explanation on that. I'm guessing there were probably some bad experiences for her during the anime production of her previous series, such as how mangaka often have 0 say on the anime production portion of their properties. I've met other mangaka, like Koge Donbo, who have voiced similar issues, and many of them were very upset that not only were they not involved in the anime, but that the anime studio couldn't bother to give them any artwork from the show. I have to hand it to her for wanting to retain the creative aspect of her properties though instead of trying to make a quick buck.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
carefreejules wrote:

I'm really happy to hear that! Part 1 and Part 2 of the story have been fully translated already while Part 3 is currently still being updated monthly! Like with anything, it might feel a bit slow at the start but things start to pick up pretty quickly and the humor has always been a charm of the series to keep fans engaged!

That's even better! You made my day~! I've been playing Dream Festival without any translation, and realizing it's harder to follow than I thought. Thanks! It sounds great, I'm going to try and start tonight.

Cutiebunny wrote:

Yes, she was asked "Which of your series would you like to see adapted into an anime?" and she answered that she didn't want to see any of them adapted. She gave no further explanation on that. I'm guessing there were probably some bad experiences for her during the anime production of her previous series, such as how mangaka often have 0 say on the anime production portion of their properties. I've met other mangaka, like Koge Donbo, who have voiced similar issues, and many of them were very upset that not only were they not involved in the anime, but that the anime studio couldn't bother to give them any artwork from the show. I have to hand it to her for wanting to retain the creative aspect of her properties though instead of trying to make a quick buck.

Yeah, my first thought is Naoko Takuechi and the classic Sailor Moon. And someone else I can't remember. That's a shame, but understandable.
Wahappen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Is this a miracle? First time that they didn't exclude a female MC and holy horse Tsumugi's office lady outfit is sexy, I prefer the cute whitish-frilly manager dress.

They freaking used Monster Generation as the bg music cue that this anime is gonna be lit af, hoping that this can atleast outcross Utapri. Every fans in twitter speculated that it might come earlier in October but lols, that reminds me Ensemble Stars was also moved next yr I wonder if there's gonna be a skirm between I7 and that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1