• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Director Deletes Twitter After Harassment

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Boy, why am I not surprised... This is what he gets for trying to reinvent something that's already universally acclaimed thinking there's still plenty of room for improvements.
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
This trend of fans harassing creators needs to stop. It's inexcusable.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Boy, why am I not surprised... This is what he gets for trying to reinvent something that's already universally acclaimed thinking there's still plenty of room for improvements.

Maybe so, but there's absolutely no excuse to bully him over it. Be glad he didn't do something far more serious.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

Seriously?! You apparently have no idea what the word "adaptation' means and it's something that every country has done with famous works since before you were born! It's people like you who make this fandom look bad. Don't like the American "Death Note?" Fine, don't watch it. Watch the Japanese adaptations instead.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
thinking there's still plenty of room for improvements.

I mean, I'd argue that there is room for improvement. The movie didn't do that of course... but I don't think the source material is perfect like you're suggesting.
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

Personally, I think there are plenty of areas that Death Note could be improved or explored differently. I think this movie was an attempt at that but a very, very flawed one.

That being said harassment is certainly not deserved here. It isn't "what he gets". He hasn't done anything morally wrong to deserve to be run off twitter. People just decided to harrass him over a work of FICTION. Hate the work, give it a terrible review score, hell even rant about it on twitter, but threats and harassment over FICTION are inexcusable.
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

Yep. Totally deserved getting death threats just because people were mad about one live-action DN adaption out of the 5 currently in existance. Filthy gaijin Rolling Eyes

(Seriously though people are free to get mad about this stuff but there's no excuse for taking things that far)
chito895

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
It was only a piece of media, goddamit. Why is people so bad?
sailorsweeper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Seriously though people are free to get mad about this stuff but there's no excuse for taking things that far)

Agreed people are allowed to have alternate opinions but taking it too far is wrong
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:

Because some people treat the anime fandom as a damn cult.
ArnisEnthusiast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
chito895 wrote:

Because some people treat the anime fandom as a damn cult.

I would argue that that's a problem with modern fandom in general, not just anime fandom.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
this is so bad
people just have no restraint. just because they're on twitter hiding behind some username and avatar they think they can just abuse whoever they want
you didn't like the movie? fine. voice that in a proper criticism if you care that much. don't send death threats and stuff to the people involved. why is it so hard for people to grasp that notion
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote

Huh, apparently not.

Now getting onto the alleged harassment, I think we can all agree that nobody deserves to be harassed or sent death threats over a shitty movie, and the sooner some of these people learn the difference between criticism and harassment the better.

That being said, if people are using this https://i.imgur.com/ckjlpby.png as an example of death threats, then don't be surprised when people start taking these actual death threats less seriously.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, he tried. This movie isn't a quick cashgrab like Ghost in the Shell or DB Evolution. It had genuine effort and tried to do something new with the material. Whether it succeeded or not, I don't think the result should warrant this hatred.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
ArnisEnthusiast wrote:
This trend of fans harassing creators needs to stop. It's inexcusable.
Threats are inexcusable but he did tweet “Sorry trolls but the artist always wins in the long run. ;)" so he was bragging that he had already won since he had made the Death Note movie. I get that he is a famous person but I have seen plenty of Twitter fights where both sides were slinging mud.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6