• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime GN 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gallairda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
Theron, it gets better. I love this series and I am hard to impress. The Art is good with nice designs of monsters but what sells this is the writing. It continues to build a World.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Gallairda wrote:
Theron, it gets better. I love this series and I am hard to impress. The Art is good with nice designs of monsters but what sells this is the writing. It continues to build a World.

Yea, it gets better the more along you get.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
while not as good as tanya,mushoku tensei or shield bro, this is still a better than average isekai story.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
while not as good as tanya,mushoku tensei or shield bro, this is still a better than average isekai story.

A problem with your statement is that "isekai" is not a genre, it's a broad setting, and you're comparing pretty wildly different stories. You might as well be saying "while not as good as baseball, soccer, or ping pong, bowling is still a better than average sport;" you're certainly free to believe that, but it's not a great reference for anyone else since they're just so different.

• The Saga of Tanya the Evil is reincarnation into a World War II-era world with magic, and the story is more of a standard seinen action piece with focus on military tactics and strategy.
  • Mushoku Tensei is reincarnation into a traditional fantasy world with a traditional shounen adventure topped with lots of otaku references and fanservice.
  • In The Rising of the Shield Hero, they are summoned to another world, and the story uses the traditional fantasy adventure setting to subvert into a psychological character study.

Of those three, Slime trends closest to Mushoku Tensei, but it focuses more on worldbuilding than adventure.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

A problem with your statement is that "isekai" is not a genre, it's a broad setting, and you're comparing pretty wildly different stories. You might as well be saying "while not as good as baseball, soccer, or ping pong, bowling is still a better than average sport;" you're certainly free to believe that, but it's not a great reference for anyone else since they're just so different.

• The Saga of Tanya the Evil is reincarnation into a World War II-era world with magic, and the story is more of a standard seinen action piece with focus on military tactics and strategy.
  • Mushoku Tensei is reincarnation into a traditional fantasy world with a traditional shounen adventure topped with lots of otaku references and fanservice.
  • In The Rising of the Shield Hero, they are summoned to another world, and the story uses the traditional fantasy adventure setting to subvert into a psychological character study.

Of those three, Slime trends closest to Mushoku Tensei, but it focuses more on worldbuilding than adventure.

I have to disagree that Isekai is not a genre, or subgenre; it is at this point, its a subgenre fantasy.

Per the dictionary definition - gen·re
ˈZHänrə/
noun
noun: genre; plural noun: genres

a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

But I do agree with you that even a genre/subgenre can be so wildly different as not to be comparable. Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings are both Fantasy, but I would not consider them as comparable works. One is a low fantasy focusing more on drama and intrigue, while Lord of the Rings is classic fantasy.

That aside, I personally think slime is much better than all 3 of those mentioned. I think shield bro is a little overrated just because the characters are so over the top beyond what you would typically expect, and people really want to see a mc that just doesnt give 2 cares.
Felcis

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
It's a very nice series, in my opinion much more enjoyable and balanced than ShieldHero for example (which I find just too over-the-top with it's edgelord lead, the overly evil antagonists and ridiculously stupid rivals/citizens). Though both share the "power fantasy" aspect of the supposedly underpowered abilities becoming incredibly broken rather easily.

What does lower the value of Slime for me, though, is the existence of another series called "Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka?"/"I’m A Spider, So What?" which has a very similar premise, but executed much more interestingly.
This is because in that series, the reincarnated body of the lead is legitimately very weak and on the bottom of the food chain, which forces her to use her abilities in very clever ways and fight with hit-and-run tactics. Sure, she does become more powerful over time, but only after a long struggle for basic survival, compared to Slime or ShieldHero who just pick up a ton of overpowered abilities and allies very easily.
Also, the humor is amazing and brings a lot of levity to the otherwise very bleak situation of the heroine.

That being said, I enjoy both Slime and Spider a lot. It's just that the latter gives me a much deeper satisfaction while reading.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:

have fun arguing semantics but that does not change the meaning of what I said.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Stop trying to be smarter than the genre people. If its "character moved from our world to another" its isekai.

K.I.S.S.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Stop trying to be smarter than the genre people. If its "character moved from our world to another" its isekai.

K.I.S.S.

Nobody said it wasn't.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I've followed this for a while, its good series. I've enjoyed the details put into it. Yes it's has silly/unbelievable parts, but it's like what Theron said, "Go with the flow." It's good for what it is and it's entertaining.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Felcis wrote:

What does lower the value of Slime for me, though, is the existence of another series called "Kumo Desu Ga, Nani Ka?"/"I’m A Spider, So What?" which has a very similar premise, but executed much more interestingly.

I think "Spider" was licensed a while back, so i'm just happy i'll get to read both of these series, lol. I'm interested to see what happens in the future with "Slime", though i'll probably stop buying the manga once the light novels are available (i just prefer reading it that way it it's the original format).
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:57 am Reply with quote
The cover put me off a bit, but I was surprised by how charming this book was. Rimuru seems to genuinely care about the sentient creatures he encounters (although, that could be a side effect of naming them). I liked how he was able to differentiate the goblins and give them distinct roles that matched their personalities and abilities, and I enjoyed the Dragon's take on all the events in the story at the end, which gave a unique perspective on the proceedings (I wish he could find a way to communicate directly with Rimuru, perhaps through a dream)..
Rimuru is incredibly overpowered, though. Not just for a slime, for a fantasy novel protagonist. By the middle of the volume he already has two different groups vowing to follow him as a leader because he's so powerful. I assume the story's going somewhere with the ease of power and ally acquisition, but it seemed like too much, too soon.
Another nitpick: he reacts to gorgeous elf girls as if he's not in a (probably) asexual body, but I'm guessing a little magic might fix that. Smile
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
The problem with Kumo Desu ga is the Skill Up spam becomes a serious drain on enjoyment after awhile. Its bad enough in the novel, but even in the manga you end up having pages that are literally 2/3 wall of text of all the Skill Ups. Most of which aren't important to the current events and could be abbreviated.
fantaselion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
The problem with Kumo Desu ga is the Skill Up spam becomes a serious drain on enjoyment after awhile. Its bad enough in the novel, but even in the manga you end up having pages that are literally 2/3 wall of text of all the Skill Ups. Most of which aren't important to the current events and could be abbreviated.

That's subjective. I loved the information that Kumo Desu ga gave with the skill ups. Otherwise I wouldn't know what powers She had, which is a major complaint I have about allot of stories.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

It's probably worth pointing out that maximilianjenus was commenting to the reviewer, who himself made comparison to Tanya and KONOSUBA, which likewise are very different stories. In that vein, it seems pedantic to take him(?) to task for making a similar type of comparison.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2