• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SAG-AFTRA Union Reaches Tentative Agreement With Video Game Companies to End Strike

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
It's good to see they seem to have found a compromise. If nothing else, it seemed like game companies, including those that were not part of the strike, were heading in the direction of going non-union.
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
It's been awhile but I remember around the time the strike started game company released the last offer they gave to SAG-AFTRA before the strike started and iirc it was pretty much exactly this deal.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
It's been awhile but I remember around the time the strike started game company released the last offer they gave to SAG-AFTRA before the strike started and iirc it was pretty much exactly this deal.

Yeah, after a year the union finally realized that game companies can do just fine without them and decided to take what they can get and be happy with it.
Not_Nitsugalego

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
meiam wrote:

Yeah, after a year the union finally realized that game companies can do just fine without them and decided to take what they can get and be happy with it.

This is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but I actually respect the game companies for sticking to their guns for as long as they did.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:30 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

That isn't too surprising. There are plenty of non-union actors willing to step in, and even before the strike, it's not like it was unheard of for union actors to work under aliases. Throw in that modern recording recording technology makes it feasible to outsource to a location where SAG has no presence, and I don't think the actors were in a strong position from the start.

Some of this agreement seems like a good idea on both ends. I know game companies are worried about leaks, but more transparency on what actors are doing probably helps with performances, and would let people decide ahead of time if they are comfortable with the content.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Not_Nitsugalego wrote:
Hardgear wrote:
meiam wrote:

This is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but I actually respect the game companies for sticking to their guns for as long as they did.

You're right a lot of people who say negative union things tend to be considered "Wrong" in most discussions about it. Like most things there are good and bad in them, unions are just the same, while they help their members they can also take advantage of them or ask too much from companies.

But I too think it's great that the game companies didn't give in to some of the demands that were asking too much, the royalties one was the most egregious, game devs and artists rarely if ever will get something like that it's absurd for the VAs too.

Hopefully this will stop all the recastings we've been seeing lately as it's gotten annoying to see so many characters sounding off, although there is one posative from this strike it's that a lot of the Texas VAs got some video game work, most notably Alexis Tipton who got a ton of Laura Bailey's old roles, most notably Lucina in Fire Emblem. Heck FE: Shadows of Valentia had her, Monica Rial, Ian Sinclair and Catlin Glass in it, so maybe we'll get to keep seeing more of them in games.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Looks like they got a lot of wins for the acting side of things. The thing is this strike, as noted in the article, only affected a handful of gaming companies (mostly big ones, but they aren't the entire industry)...which has led a lot of other companies to be more accommodating to voice actors, meaning they can get more talent a lot easier. The game companies were never going to win this fight and it's mostly on them that this happened in the first place.
dark13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Good for the Voice acting group I was pretty much on their side and Voice acting really helps to bring certain games alive, this isn't 1994 anymore and evolution is a thing that can never be stop, so I'm glad these companies are finally getting with the times and not living in the past.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully this favorable conclusion to the strike will lead to better casting and better performances in future gaming titles.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:38 am Reply with quote
Most of the games I play I'm guessing are non-union any way (JRPGs) since most of the time the voice actors aren't even listed in the credits. Even though a lot of them feature actors like Steve Blum and Yuri Lowenthal that were part of strike. 0
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
Most of the games I play I'm guessing are non-union any way (JRPGs) since most of the time the voice actors aren't even listed in the credits. Even though a lot of them feature actors like Steve Blum and Yuri Lowenthal that were part of strike. 0

That is one of the reasons why I wasn't convinced that the strike would be all that effective. Maybe it is a bit different when there is an official strike going on, but doing uncredited work or working under an alias has been a common occurrence in games and anime for a long time. Recently, Capcom announced it was replacing previous actors for the Resident Evil 2 remake with non-union actors, which I suppose might change now. And unless I wasn't paying attention, I don't think the in-game credits for Persona 5 listed the English actors, despite them being involved with promotional videos and conventions. It seems like going around the union is a pretty common occurrence in the game industry.
AmpedForAnime

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Hopefully this favorable conclusion to the strike will lead to better casting and better performances in future gaming titles.

Amen!
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
It's a compromise so both sides got something. But looking at things leading up to the strike, this was clearly the union settling for game companies' pre-strike terms.

Companies just hired actors that went around the union or were non-union. Must've been great exposure for non-union actors, but it really declawed the strike's efficacy. So a lot of union actors just lost work for nothing, and companies got the good publicity of looking like they care for their "workers".
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:12 am Reply with quote
Where these game companies more worried about getting more revenue than to reasonably comply with the voice talents' demands? Had they complied with it early, the strike might have not occurred.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:10 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Recently, Capcom announced it was replacing previous actors for the Resident Evil 2 remake with non-union actors, which I suppose might change now.

The change of voice cast for that game has nothing to do with the strike as according to Alyson Court (voice of Claire for all but Revelations 2), their decision to go non-union was made in March 2016 which was long before the strike started.

Speaking of Capcom, Marvel Vs. Capcom Infinite also had some recasts, specifically with the Marvel roster, but it was still a union work and the replacements are the current cast for the most recent Marvel cartoons. The Capcom side was mostly the same as UMvC3 with the exception of Chun-Li which had Ashly Burch voicing her instead of Laura Bailey (most likely another scheduling conflict like with Persona 4 Dancing which Ashly took over for that as Rise).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1