• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Hiro Mashima [2017-10-25]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taifood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
“Hello, I am Hiro Mashima. And I am a manga god.”

I don't want to live on this planet anymore. People are enabling this stupidity.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Taifood wrote:

I don't want to live on this planet anymore. People are enabling this stupidity.

Pretty sure it a joke friendo, he's probably not being serious.
Taifood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Taifood wrote:

Wouldn't have been as bad if the next paragraph didn't continue to justify it, like popularity=quality of mangaka'ing or something.

"You can't fault him for his logic."

Actually I can. Easily.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Taifood wrote:

I like how you said "Probably"
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Interesting interview, though there were a number of grammatical errors that I noticed.

I may not have cared for Fairy Tail much at all after a certain point, but I did appreciate Rave Master a lot as a series. So because of that I'm willing to check out Mashima's new work whenever it comes out.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
"I really wanted to make sure none of my characters died"

So instead of writing out scenarios where they could have a chance of surviving, I just had them survive the most impossible crap ever and basically had the dragon balls in there as back up too.

It was a successful series tho so meh, more power to him I guess
Bloodstrain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tail has 60 million copies in print, not 260. Might want to fix that. People Might think the series is good with those numbers.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
"The fact that I didn't know what was going to happen next was actually the best part of working on this serie"

And the big giant main problem, everything comes out of nowhere and feels like an asspull because guess what?... it was!
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
If Hiro Mashima ever creates something new, less fanserves would be highly appreciated. Neutral
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I could understand if you're relatively new to anime, and didn't already know how generic shonen stories play out, but for everyone else, you should be ashamed that you expected this franchise to be anything other than a straightforward "friendship conquers all, nobody really dies, all conflict is resolved by the protagonist throwing a single punch" framework.

You really should know better by now, and the people who do know better and still enjoyed Fairy Tail anyway did so because they had no preconceptions about what kind of series it was going to be. Next time, temper your expectations with reality, and maybe you'll have more fun with what was always going to be a pretty schlocky abs-and-boobs title.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
"I really wanted to make sure none of my characters died"

So instead of writing out scenarios where they could have a chance of surviving, I just had them survive the most impossible crap ever and basically had the dragon balls in there as back up too.
Yeah he really took the piss when it came to character deaths or even being defeated.I remember when he squandered a great opportunity of having a main character die. It was the head of the guild who stayed behind to fend off a dragon and save everyone. But then they all came back and formed a friendship barrier.

I would never of had a problem with no one dying if the possibility had been teased so often. And it is nearly always overblown and dramatic.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
So the reason why no one dies in FT is because he didn't like how sad Rave Master was....... I'm sorry what?!?!?! That's what was good about Rave Master!! Why would ever decide to throw that away and revive every seamingly dead characters with BS Deus-ex-machinas!??!
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Though I do like Mashima-sensei, what I got out of this interview is confirmation of what I already knew. He makes it up as he goes and continuity be damned. Thus, massive retconning and deus ex machina moments.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I think I've spoiled myself with stuff like Evangelion, because I go into EVERY anime expecting every character to die. Even slice of life.

Last edited by prime_pm on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I could understand if you're relatively new to anime, and didn't already know how generic shonen stories play out, but for everyone else, you should be ashamed that you expected this franchise to be anything other than a straightforward "friendship conquers all, nobody really dies, all conflict is resolved by the protagonist throwing a single punch" framework.

You really should know better by now, and the people who do know better and still enjoyed Fairy Tail anyway did so because they had no preconceptions about what kind of series it was going to be. Next time, temper your expectations with reality, and maybe you'll have more fun with what was always going to be a pretty schlocky abs-and-boobs title.
I'm not ashamed at all, I had reasonable expectations. Like most long running battle shonens it started out rather formulaic. Other examples would be how Ushio & Tora started out as a standard monster of the week show, Hunter X Hunter started out as a simple kids go on an adventure, One Piece was a villain of the week type of show. It was just as I expected it to be,

But as the series goes on, you expect it to evolve and try new things. Not become stagnant and lazy. Needless was a show I knew would be schlocky, as it was incredibly obvious from the start, and even that was a bit more thoughtful with character development. FT had put some effort into it's world and seemed ready to expand into something.

I was never expecting fine art or even a well thought out epic adventure, I was expecting a competently put together action show with some character development.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2