• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Flying Witch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
I am not confident on the Flying Witch dub, but I want to at least give it a try. The show itself is a very nice iyashikei series, and I am sure fans of the genre will enjoy it.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
Now that close to a decade has passed, the consensus seems to be that Clannad and its sequel have become the most worthy representatives of the early Key adaptations. Indeed, I've heard no word of a Blu-ray release for Air or Kanon as of yet. A small pity, but at least their DVDs are still in circulation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Thank you for reminding me that I still need to get to finishing Clannad After Story. I don't know why I left it unwatched only a few episodes in after all this time, but I feel like the only one who hasn't seen all of it. I need to continue with Utena as well.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am not confident on the Flying Witch dub, but I want to at least give it a try. The show itself is a very nice iyashikei series, and I am sure fans of the genre will enjoy it.

I liked it. I don't think I noticed the same issues as the reviewer. For a while, Sentai dubs came off as kind of stiff to me, but I feel like they've improved in that regard over the last few years.

Flying Witch was very enjoyable for me. It's a nice show to watch on weeknights when I wasn't in the mood for anything with big conflicts. I think one of my favorite parts was spoiler[ when Akane first shows up and points out that Makoto hadn't practice magic since she moved. It felt like both Makoto and I forgot that that was supposed to be the premise of the story..]
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I've heard no word of a Blu-ray release for Air or Kanon as of yet. A small pity, but at least their DVDs are still in circulation.

I don't know about Air, but there is an upscaled BD release for Kanon in Japan, which is supposed to look good. I have Funimation's DVD's, but I would love Kanon BD's.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I liked it. I don't think I noticed the same issues as the reviewer. For a while, Sentai dubs came off as kind of stiff to me, but I feel like they've improved in that regard over the last few years.
I heard the guy who did a lot of their ADR work, the one who did Highschool of the Dead, left a few years ago.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I personally loved Flying Witch. Very rarely do we get such a nice, wholesome healing series that can appeal to everyone; it's not just a CGDCT since it actually includes roles for its male characters (as much as I appreciate a good CGDCT sometimes, I understand they don't appeal to everyone) nor is there any risque innuendo (I'd be comfortable showing it to any age).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
For anyone who's seen it: Does Flying Witch have the same sort of vibe as Barakamon? If so, it should be on a Christmas list for someone I know.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:
For anyone who's seen it: Does Flying Witch have the same sort of vibe as Barakamon? If so, it should be on a Christmas list for someone I know.

I can consider both iyashikei or healing shows, but Barakamon has more of a story and its character have more development. Flying Witch has episodic or self contained episodes, and the characters are not really developed.

But I suppose someone who liked Barakamon could get some enjoyment out of Flying Witch. The Bunny Drop anime is in my opinion more in line with what Barakamon is.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Now that close to a decade has passed, the consensus seems to be that Clannad and its sequel have become the most worthy representatives of the early Key adaptations. Indeed, I've heard no word of a Blu-ray release for Air or Kanon as of yet. A small pity, but at least their DVDs are still in circulation.

That's a very selective consensus. The best episodes of Clannad:After Story pertaining to the Ushio arc remain the best in anime period but the series itself made the same mistake Fate Stay Night made, adapting too much content and cluttering its narrative by trying to please the fans of the original game. This is particularly true of the first half of Clannad After Story which comes off as Clannad leftovers about side characters. And Clannad itself is a watered down copy of Kanon excepting its twins... which comes off as "twins, we got twins! We don't know what to do with them but we got them!"

On the other hand, Air is so neat and tidy that it comes off as too short and too weird though I love those last two episodes. Kanon is perfection right down to its episode titles and plotting, "Silver Overture" to "Scarlet Red Finale" and "Kanon at the end of the Dream". Usually I complain about Japanese episode titles but I love poetry, unifying themes and music and Kanon has all of that. Like it's very tightly planned out and not just thrown together.

Are we getting to the point Kanon is becoming underappreciated? It manages to walk the fine line between holding the viewers hands through its various storylines and leaving it up to the viewer to decide what happened at the end.... which was episode 23 where spoiler[A lot of people die. Quick count: Akiko, Shiori, Mai and Ayu.]. Episode 24 is the Coda which uses the musical term of "kanon" instead where spoiler[a lot of people don't die].

And that last speech of episode 23: "I'm waiting for someone. I'm waiting for him." gives me chills to this day. And it gets away with the greatest trick of all as the Ayu with the red hairband spoiler[isn't Ayu at all but a projection of Yuichi's made flesh in the same way he made Hope, Mai's powers, real. And then it gets weird... The unaging Ayu on the bench is dead while the one in the coma didn't die.] It's canon from the game... Kanon... spoiler[In routes where you don't pick Ayu, Ayu with the hairband comes up and tells you she's ok now, she found what she was looking for and you can be happy on your own. And then she's gone...] Once it hit me what all that meant, I couldn't play any other routes beyond the two I did, Nayuki's and Ayu's.

Or you can take the easy way out and accept one of the endings the other girls provide... wow, they're useful to the plot outside of being love interests? What a concept... from spoiler[All the youkai coming together to grant a wish as per Makoto's plotline, Mai's using her powers to heal all those in the hospital, to Shiori's "Red King's dream" deus ex machine] to even Nayuki and Akiko's "it was a series of miracles, just accept it" ending.

But the real ending, the True Ending, is the spoiler[doll and the series of wishes Yuichi granted to Ayu and whomever needed them in the future. "Think of the wish granter" indeed...].

Wow, it's been too long since I could gush about a series I love.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Ouran High School Dropout wrote:

Barakamon as a much stronger focus on humor, whereas flying witch is a lot more relaxing (ie like aria). Flying witch does have the occasional joke (the first episode has an hilarious one), but those are few and far between.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:36 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:
I've heard no word of a Blu-ray release for Air or Kanon as of yet. A small pity, but at least their DVDs are still in circulation.

I don't know about Air, but there is an upscaled BD release for Kanon in Japan, which is supposed to look good. I have Funimation's DVD's, but I would love Kanon BD's.

TBS, through IMAGICA and Pony Canyon, upscaled the AIR episodes in their release of the TV series in 2006. Kanon itself was produced in HD, but only got a Japanese BD release in 2009 (it was sold on DVD during 2006-2007).
SonicFanA

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I wish Hakkenden got a full review. It is actually pretty good and entertaining. Also the the background art/scenery can be gorgeous at times which I noticed a lot with Studio Deen shows. Also I think it is one of the shows directed by Mitsue Yamazaki that people never mention.
Monster Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
60 dollars for a single blu ray movie in Gundam Wing Endless Waltz. Jesus I know the Japanese home video industry and how they works makes anime disc releases expensive but Jesus I can usually get half a season or maybe a full anime season for the same price.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I was unable to finish watching Flying Witch because I found it too boring.
BUT!
I strongly urge everyone trying it out to at least watch the first three episodes before deciding on whether or not to give up on it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2