• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Resolution Are Early Digipaint Shows Made At?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Curious note that Ojamajo Doremi was actually animated at 960p (though 4:3), but ultimately Toei lost the masters for MOST of it. Recently, re-airings of Motto! Ojamajo Doremi and Ojamajo Doremi Dokkaan on Kids Station appear to have been salvaged from HD masters, though I suspect Toei reduced the resolution compared to the first season (they look to be between 540p-720p range). Credits, unfortunately, are upscaled, but likely Toei never produced the credits at native resolution.

Still, it's nice to see these, as early episodes of Motto! look particularly bad because of being stored on D2 tapes.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Other high-budget anime, such as Ghost in the Shell, was higher resolution, but very few (if any) were produced at the 1080p resolution we often enjoy today.

It's only in the last few years some studios, like KyoAni, have started to produce in full hd, and I wouldn't bet majority of anime are even today.

I sure would like to send in a question, but knowing myself I'd probably find the answer before having a chance to send it. And if I did find an interesting enough question I couldn't figure the answer to, it'd probably be too hard to answer... Confused
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
The 480p shows usually look salvageable enough to get a good enough Blu-Ray picture going but good luck making anything presentable to current audiences that dips below.

There may be a way to selvage some of these productions, specifically non-anine stuff as they rarely get a revival with future generations. Someone needs to get a streaming service that specifically targeted phones going. Think about it! Even 360p/VHS quality is enough to look crisp on such a tiny display and how many famous filmmakers as David Lynch bitch about modern audiences watching films on their phones? I myself know a girl who watches anime on a phone while cooking. With subtitles on top...
Demastering was the key all along and my Phoneflix may be the answer to save pre-HD era content.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I could be totally wrong, but Justin did not answer the question about what was the typical resolution to anime movies in the early digipaint era; I am curious too. I imagine movies had a better resolution than tv series.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought Bubblegum Crisis 2040 was shot on cels? I even fount some, not from the original, on google images.

It is a huge shame, as there were a lot of great shows from the early 00s. And not being able to give them perfect HD versions is a shame.
mrakai

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Similar to the weird meshing of 2d and 3d, another big problem with digipaint (although not limited to digipaint for sure) is when the animation is done at 24fps and then interlaced to 29.97fps and then a video overlay (credits, etc) are put on at that rate. It makes reversing the process to 24fps progressive very troublesome.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The 480p shows usually look salvageable enough to get a good enough Blu-Ray picture going but good luck making anything presentable to current audiences that dips below.

The issue may indeed be a function of the audience expectations. I, for instance, am just old enough to remember when 640x480 was the standard resolution for computing. High fidelity is something I deem a compromisable luxury.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I thought Bubblegum Crisis 2040 was shot on cels? I even fount some, not from the original, on google images.
Were those painted cels or just the linework?
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

The main episode content was ink and paint, but the OP is digital.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Wait...you're saying anime today is actually made in 1080p? I haven't really checked in a few years but as of 2014 MOST anime was still only being upscaled to 1080p.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Oh that's interesting, I wonder if the finished work was on film or a digital file.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Wait...you're saying anime today is actually made in 1080p? I haven't really checked in a few years but as of 2014 MOST anime was still only being upscaled to 1080p.

Hearing this surprised me as well. I haven’t been keeping up with TV anime (I’m still collecting discs from 2013- 2014 lol) but I wonder which titles...??
jirg1901

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

There's a Japanese blog that follows this. Very few shows are made at 1080p. Shoukugeki no Souma seems to be the only one this season with none last season, although WUG's CG is and there's the odd OP or ED that is. There's quite a few that are made at something between 720p and 1080p though.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
TrailOfDead wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Oh that's interesting, I wonder if the finished work was on film or a digital file.

Considering the opening was an early Digipaint production, I'd say the latter being transferred over to film is the best bet.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I remember playing the Shinsen fansub for Noein (2006) and watching it switch back and forth from 24 to 30 fps. It seemed to be intentional on Akane's part as the 30 fps segments portrayed action sequences like the battle with the big Shangri-la object in the opening.

I seem to have misplaced or loaned out my Media Blaster DVDs for the series so I can't check to see whether that release shows the same mix of frame rates.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2