• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Nov 26-Dec 2 [2017-12-07]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow. For a show who started out not even in the top 15 of the season, Land of the Lustrous has now risen to the number 1 spot. Quite impressive and I’m happy to see that as it’s tied for my favorite anime of the season. Very Happy I also wonder if there was any show in the past that has performed similarly here on ANN.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
That Land of the Lustrous climb is quite respectable. Looking forward to checking it out at the end of the season... right after I finish Utena.
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Osomatsu-san rise again. While I'm not really caught up, good thing it's episodic. This week episode pretty much cemented Karamatsu as my fave.

Land of the Lustrous finally reached its very much deserved destination.

I'm surprise Juuni didn't do so well this week even though it's one of the better episodes the show has offered.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
^Are you thinking of episode 9 or 10 of Juuni Taisen? Because this chart is for #9. I think #10, the most recent, is the one that people consider to be a more substantial jump up.
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^Are you thinking of episode 9 or 10 of Juuni Taisen? Because this chart is for #9. I think #10, the most recent, is the one that people consider to be a more substantial jump up.

#10. Now it makes sense, thanks for pointing that out. Guess I'll have to wait another week to see how it goes.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Wow. For a show who started out not even in the top 15 of the season, Land of the Lustrous has now risen to the number 1 spot. Quite impressive and I’m happy to see that as it’s tied for my favorite anime of the season. Very Happy I also wonder if there was any show in the past that has performed similarly here on ANN.

LotL is, I believe, the most extreme case for a chart-topper since we've been charting these weekly rankings. The previous best was Re:Zero, which rose from a starting position of 10th to dominance by its second season, but its gains were more gradual. In nearly all other cases a series which was at #1 in the cumulative rankings past the halfway point started and spent its entire run in the Top 5.

Will be interesting to see if this was just a spike or if the series can hold the top spot. There's been more movement at the top of the weeklies than normal the last few weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Dimension W too much to subject myself to its ANN reviews in an attempt to understand why it's used as an example for series starting decent and ending up poor in these weekly rundowns, even after rewatching it in full. But in spite of that handicap, I think I can safely say that Juni Taisen is this season's Dimension W. I personally wouldn't be surprised if its finale managed to out-suck King's Game.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
I enjoyed Dimension W too much to subject myself to its ANN reviews in an attempt to understand why it's used as an example for series starting decent and ending up poor in these weekly rundowns, even after rewatching it in full. But in spite of that handicap, I think I can safely say that Juni Taisen is this season's Dimension W. I personally wouldn't be surprised if its finale managed to out-suck King's Game.

Were these rankings even around when Dimension W aired? I don't agree with this comparison between Dimension W and Juni Taisen. DW started well, and it was genuinely a Good show, but it atrophied over time. I have considered JT a mediocre show with potential to become better since the beginning, but it was never able to sustain substantial improvement for more than two consecutive episodes.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:

There have been a couple of shows but LotL is definitely one of the most substantial jumps. The show is genuinely good, but part of it rising so quickly is it gets quite a bit less votes than some of the other more popular shows, which allows it to rise a lot more. Since it's all comparative based, a good show with 10% of the votes of lets say, Ancient Magus Bride (or whatever is most popular), would be able to swing in either direction. Really high if it has good episodes, and then really low if it were to have a bad one. Since it's been having consistent good episodes, well here we are now.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

Were these rankings even around when Dimension W aired? I don't agree with this comparison between Dimension W and Juni Taisen. DW started well, and it was genuinely a Good show, but it atrophied over time. I have considered JT a mediocre show with potential to become better since the beginning, but it was never able to sustain substantial improvement for more than two consecutive episodes.

Yes, the rankings were around when Dim W was airing. While I don't think Juni Taisen was mediocre in the beginning, its cumulative ranking was much more modest than Dim W, starting at 18 and peaking at 17 before falling to 26 this week, versus Dim W starting (and peaking) at 8 and falling to 15.
Niello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Joshua Zarate wrote:

There have been a couple of shows but LotL is definitely one of the most substantial jumps. The show is genuinely good, but part of it rising so quickly is it gets quite a bit less votes than some of the other more popular shows, which allows it to rise a lot more. Since it's all comparative based, a good show with 10% of the votes of lets say, Ancient Magus Bride (or whatever is most popular), would be able to swing in either direction. Really high if it has good episodes, and then really low if it were to have a bad one. Since it's been having consistent good episodes, well here we are now.

It'd be nice if we know how many votes LotL has been getting compared to when it first aired. I'd imagine a number of people stopped because of the CG and perhaps slow start, but it has also been getting around by word of mouth without Anime Strike's help. I think it would help with understanding the underlying reasons for its performance.

EDIT; Interestingly its rating on MAL is also increasing rapidly over the course of it air time, averaging about 0.1 every week. It started at about 6.9 and is now at 7.86. That's really impressive.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:36 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

At least a month ago the numbers weren't that disparate according to Key. There was a tweet by Zac about the most viewed anime reviews of the season too and apparently Gem Boys are top 10 popularity
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
that's interesting. I didn't think the number of people voting on shows was that few
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:

There have been a couple of shows but LotL is definitely one of the most substantial jumps. The show is genuinely good, but part of it rising so quickly is it gets quite a bit less votes than some of the other more popular shows, which allows it to rise a lot more.

Mmmmm, this is not true. Ancient Magus' Bride does significantly better traffic and more votes than LotL (and everything else), but other than that, our top shows this season for traffic are all really close, and Lustrous does some of our best traffic and vote engagement. More votes than Kino's Journey, more votes than Inuyashiki, more votes than Black Clover. The ratio between traffic and votes sometimes doesn't match up, for what it's worth. My guess is that if a show like Lustrous (or MMO Junkie, which has comparable voting numbers) is perceived to "need the attention" compared to a Black Clover or a Boruto, sometimes more people will feel compelled to vote for it. People will vote more for a show that they feel is their special one that deserves the love.

This discrepancy can also be explained by...

getchman wrote:
that's interesting. I didn't think the number of people voting on shows was that few

Those numbers aren't supposed to be public (that was an oversight on Key's part), but the range of vote totals is in the few hundreds for the majority of shows, which is a very small percentage of traffic to those pages. (So if you don't like how shows are ranking, you should vote more!) Our absolute bottom-barrel low-traffic bare-inclusions will pull about 50 votes (your Uraharas and Classicaloids, which you may notice we're not covering the second season of), while our biggest hitters depending on the season can reach the thousands place. So the difference can be wide for a few outliers, but 90% of the content is in the several hundreds range.

Konohana Kitan is low-traffic for what it's worth, but the people watching the show seem to love it!

Last edited by JacobC on Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
that's cool, thanks for sharing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2