• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Fall 2017 Season

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:42 pm Reply with quote
ahh yeah, look at that come from behind victory of girls last tour!!!
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Dude, wow! To think Land of the Lustrous would surpass Ancient Magus Bride, this anime will be worthy to check out!

And Girl's Last Tour? The introduction of Cut probably boost the rankings.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:

.nuko is used as a slang term for neko, would be akin to a corrupt form of cat; kat,catty,katty,cat-cat,cattie.....kitty-cat and on.

"cut".....should have just left it as nuko.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Konohana on the weekly chart looks like a mountain range full of peaks and YuYuYu looks like the Mariana Trench in one of the weeks. Laughing
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:50 pm Reply with quote
My prediction of Girls' Last Tour declining was completely off-base - it had a very good last episode. I'm nine episodes into Land of the Lustrous but it's also started to get very good. Konohana Kitan is probably up next for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:

.nuko is used as a slang term for neko, would be akin to a corrupt form of cat; kat,catty,katty,cat-cat,cattie.....kitty-cat and on.

"cut".....should have just left it as nuko.

It's an understandable translation, if you're just going for a mispronunciation of "cat", but I agree that it totally fails to capture the same cuteness that nuko has. Kat doesn't work because it's pronounced the same, and all of your other examples don't really convey that same sense of "this is a word that Chito thought she heard or read once, but actually flubbed a little". That's more subjective, I guess, but they are all somewhat intentional corruptions of the word cat, rather than accidental. Unfortunately, cat just isn't a very cute sounding word itself, so whether the translation had gone with ket, cut, cot, or anything else that most accurately conveyed what the original was going for, it was bound to lose some of the cuteness. I guess Nuko may have been the best option, but it's never a good idea to assume the audience knows anything about the original language of something you are translating.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm Reply with quote
@relyat08 and @Nordhmmer I thought it was more that the creature in question would often make a "nu" sound, rather than an error on Chito's part. I'm willing to cut the translators some slack on that as it seems like a term that is nigh untranslatable. In subtitled form Nuko might be fine, but if it were ever dubbed, I doubt that it would convey the original meaning of the Japanese term and would just come off as an entirely made up word. I don't know that cut perfectly conveys it either, but given the lack of really good translation, I don't know that I would say that it is definitively incorrect.
Niello

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Neat! My prediction actually came true right before the end. I know GLT would make it high and surpass AMB. Knowing Nuko will appear definitely help with the prediction. That last episode definitely deserve it, easily the best last episode this season.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
The biggest problem with "cut" is that it's already a common English word, with none of the cute connotations contained in "nuko." The opposite of cute, actually. Seeing as how it was all round and doughy, I kept wondering why the girls decided to call it a "cut," which was really distracting. I would never have figured it out without reading commentaries on it. Had they gone with something like "ket," I probably would've gotten the idea eventually.

Anyway, congrats on the final push to the top, Girls! Smile
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
YuYuYu looks like the Mariana Trench in one of the weeks. Laughing

That's the recap episode. Kind of understandable that people wouldn't like it much.
einvaust

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Now i read carefully, for years i think rank in here its rating tv on japan...so its just opinions. Very Happy ......thats why how different the rate. Thats why hoozuki no reitetsu not in there....it just not enough to got vote. But thanks anyway..... Laughing Laughing Laughing
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:33 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@relyat08 and @Nordhmmer I thought it was more that the creature in question would often make a "nu" sound, rather than an error on Chito's part. I'm willing to cut the translators some slack on that as it seems like a term that is nigh untranslatable. In subtitled form Nuko might be fine, but if it were ever dubbed, I doubt that it would convey the original meaning of the Japanese term and would just come off as an entirely made up word. I don't know that cut perfectly conveys it either, but given the lack of really good translation, I don't know that I would say that it is definitively incorrect.

It didn't cross my mind that it could've been intentional on her part, but that makes sense. And I agree, I think "cut" is realistically a fine enough translation, since I can't think of anything potentially better myself.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:55 am Reply with quote
While I was less fond of the cut's story arc than the earlier, more directionless episodes, I haven't the heart to hold anything against Girls Last Tour. What quietly became one of the darkest anime in some time managed to steal the season by stealth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:16 am Reply with quote
The fun personalities of Chito en Yuuri were a stark contrast to the world they were living in. The grey hopeless surroundings made feel a bit lonely I guess? And sad. I still kept looking for any sign of life.
Girls' last Tour was an excellent anime. The only thing that irked me was Yuuri's eye design.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
Land of the Lustrous was a real gem (pfft) of a show, one of the best in quite a few years.

Honestly bummed to see that Inuyashiki isn't super popular. That show was truly something special, imo, and a great apology from the creator for the unholy mess that was Gantz.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2