• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Violet Evergarden

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Definitely one of the most visually appealing shows of this season.

I'm more interested in the characters at the moment though, especially Violet. Curious to see how much more we'll find out more about her.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:29 pm Reply with quote
After pirating the first two episodes I continue to think that this is a quality show. KyoAni visuals are fantastic as usual. The actual writing has not been that strong so far, but I trust that the premise is strong enough for the show to soon improve writing wise. Violet Evergarden is easily for me the best new anime show.
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Once again, Kyoto Animation has done a good job giving the visual production a pleasing appeal.

I can say that Violet Evergarden's first episode stood out strong over the emotional impact that it brings.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
The show reminds of another KyoAni series called Kyoukai no Kanata. Visually gorgeous but the story failing to engage.

Still hoping I'm proven wrong because the premise has a lot of potential.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Echoing what those before me have already said in that this show is absolutely gorgeous to look at. It’s definite eye candy. The characters are all interesting/likable and the story so far is engaging. This show is easily already one of my favorites of the season and hopefully Kyoto Animation can deliver another solid show to their repertoire. Based on the first two episodes, that looks to be very possible. Smile
GainaxFanboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Along with Devilman Crybaby and After The Rain Violet Evergarden is the one of the most visually striking anime of the season.Out of watching the first episode I can say KyoAni has put in a lot of effort just by noticing the background scenery,and characters.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Well this the best show of the season and at the least best damn looking of the year.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
The show reminds of another KyoAni series called Kyoukai no Kanata. Visually gorgeous but the story failing to engage.

This is my great fear as well... Still there are reasons to be more optimistic here. I care about Violet and what to see overcome her past and live free. That more then I felt for any of K no K cast in two episodes.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I went on /a/ (I know, I know) to see what their reaction to this episode was. To my surprise, it was almost uniformly negative. Basically half complained about Kyoani overusing filters and the other half complaining about the story.

Also, it looks like VEG isn't doing so hot in Japan considering its hype in the West - [it only has 43k twitter followers, while DitF has 45k]. For comparison, Yuri!! on Ice has 440k followers on twitter.

I really want VEG to do well, because if it bombs, who's going to invest this much heart and soul into producing an anime again?

Pierrot. wrote:

.....which coincidentally was also directed by Ishidate Taichi, and also the only KyoAni show to date that I've dropped.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there's anything to say about the show visually, it's stunning and on an altogether different level than pretty much all anime.

Story though... I just can't bring myself to care. Violet doesn't feel like a character more like a sad puppy. They just dumbed everything they could on her to make her as tragic as possible and she just doesn't feel real anymore. I just don't care about her, what will and what has happened to her. The main idea barely make sense, there's so many better way to learn about love than to be a typist (here's an idea, pick up a book). Episode two was laughable, nobody though of telling her "don't say anything just watch"? Nobody checked up on the letter she sent? Not even the women? We're supposed to simultaneously believe that she was really in love with the guy and wanted a great letter, but didn't care about it enough to bother proofreading it? Especially considering earlier in the very same episode there's a scene of someone pissed after proofreading there letter before it's sent. It's lazy and replying on tragic detail to paint over poor writing.

As far as I'm concerned, this is indeed a tragic show, a story about amazing art in search of a great story and how it fail to find any.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
I really want VEG to do well, because if it bombs, who's going to invest this much heart and soul into producing an anime again?

This show bombing should not mean the end of well produced anime shows. Great shows like Death Parade and Flip Flappers bombed disc sales wise, and the anime industry continued to thrive and produce more great shows like Made in Abyss.
Yazu13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:54 pm Reply with quote
While the second episode seemed to be slower-paced, I think it was still enjoyable to watch and introduced some welcome characters. Obviously the first episode set up some pretty major emotional impacts, so this one was never going to top it on being engaging. It did what I expected it to though, and did it well, by giving the other Dolls meaning in the story, and establishing Violet's learning curve to actually becoming a ghostwriter who understands the nuances of emotion. She obviously has some hidden emotional depth when she finally gets Gilbert's brooch back at the end and takes it to bed with her, and for those who said the story may have peaked in the first episode, KyoAni is clearly setting up the tragedy of Gilbert's death and how it will affect Violet after she has become more empathetic. It's masterful, and intentionally slow, and I imagine there won't be a dry eye in the room when Violet finally grasps the scope of the tragedy of her life and the only man who ever loved her.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the show looks great and the, the characters are interesting enough, but i'm already starting to find the forced drama pretty irritating...is there any reason for keeping Violet in the dark about Gilbert's fate, other than for maximum drama's sake? She's been a soldier, so death should be familiar to her, still she's being treated like this delicate little flower who can't handle the truth... and even if that would be true, she still deserves to know? If it was me i'd sure be pissed if i found out people had been lying to me all that time about something so important...
Yazu13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:22 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Yeah, the show looks great and the, the characters are interesting enough, but i'm already starting to find the forced drama pretty irritating...is there any reason for keeping Violet in the dark about Gilbert's fate, other than for maximum drama's sake? She's been a soldier, so death should be familiar to her, still she's being treated like this delicate little flower who can't handle the truth... and even if that would be true, she still deserves to know? If it was me i'd sure be pissed if i found out people had been lying to me all that time about something so important...

Nobody wants to be the first one to break a death to someone, and Violet was obviously especially attached to Gilbert. She literally has no one, no one who ever treated her even remotely human before Gilbert, and Claudia is still only an acquaintance of hers through his friendship with Gilbert. We're only two episodes in and Claudia seemed to not be handling Gilbert's death especially well himself, so he probably doesn't want to say out loud that Gilbert is dead, to Violet or himself. He's also pretty much the only person in the story so far that knows Gilbert is dead, so there haven't been many chances for anyone to tell Violet that the person she constantly asks after is dead (Not that many people would want to be the one to crush someone they barely know).

To me at least, it all feels very realistic. I don't get where you see this forced drama. The material in this show is heavy stuff and KyoAni is treating it appropriately heavy.
MJKS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:31 am Reply with quote
So, uh, I have no desire to be that guy that stands up for fansubs over official releases, but... quality control, Netflix, please.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14