• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monica Rial, Jason Liebrecht Return for Cardcaptor Sakura Clear Card English Dub

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catbot158

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
That is really cool! I'm gonna tear up, loved Tsubasa! :')
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 pm Reply with quote
>in before people start complaining about Monica as Sakura.

*grabs popcorn*
Kurohei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
That's a pretty awesome call back to Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. I never actually saw much of Cardcaptor Sakura. I did use to watch it on Toonami back in the day. Should I go back and watch it, or could I just go straight to this new show?
catbot158

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
That's a pretty awesome call back to Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. I never actually saw much of Cardcaptor Sakura. I did use to watch it on Toonami back in the day. Should I go back and watch it, or could I just go straight to this new show?
Hmm, I watched it even though I've never watched Cardcaptor Sakura. I did get confused about a few things, but you get a sense of the character dynamics right away from the first episode. Maybe for plot's sake, but I think you could get away with it.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:

It's either way
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
I never actually saw much of Cardcaptor Sakura. I did use to watch it on Toonami back in the day. Should I go back and watch it, or could I just go straight to this new show?

In many ways, it's pretty much a direct continuation.
It's a fresh enough start that I wouldn't say it's "required" to watch the old one per se, but if you have the ability to watch it, I highly recommend going through the original series first.

A lot of character relationships and stuff pick up directly from where the old show left them, so without seeing the original series it likely won't be clear to you who several of the characters are and what they have to do with eachother or anything happening.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Even if one hasn't really seen "Cardcaptor Sakura" (this includes dub or sub) or even read the manga for CCS, that's what wiki pages can help with.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Called it.

Guess I'm sticking with the sub then. At least that's got the same cast.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
>in before people start complaining about Monica as Sakura.

*grabs popcorn*

First of all, CHISE!!! :D (love Chise)

and welp here I am one of them complainers. Enjoy your popcorn, I hope it's got butter cause that's the best! lol..

Of course I never expected them to grab the cast from the movie.

I think they should have re-casted. Jason Liebrecht was a terrific match for Syaoran in the TRC anime but I think they should have skewed younger considering he's still a first-year middle schooler. All due respect to Monica Rial, I never thought she was good as Sakura. Maybe Stephanie Sheh would have been a good Sakura, I don't know.

Oh well, so be it, wonder if they'll pull the TRC Kero voice out as well he was pretty good.
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
If they're sticking with the Tsubasa cast, then we can likely expect Trina Nishimura, Eric Vale, and Robert McCollum to reprise their roles as Tomoyo, Touya, and Yukito respectively.

I'm excited. My only experience with Cardcaptor Sakura has been subbed, so I'm looking forward to rewatching the Clear Card arc dubbed.
Morgan B.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Called it.

Guess I'm sticking with the sub then. At least that's got the same cast.

*shrugs* Whatever floats your boat, dude. Rolling Eyes
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I love these two, I really do, but I was kinda hoping fresher talent would voice these characters. Were fans of Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and Cardcaptor Sakura hoping for this? As far as I understand it, Sakura and Syaoran aren't exactly the same people in both shows, and the seiyuu aren't the same either.

I'm afraid the characters will sound a tad bit older than they actually are, especially Syaoran, but I guess I can deal with it.
kh_gal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:34 pm Reply with quote
FUNimation, why, why, WHY? I am jumping on the boat of the outraged fans who wanted new talent. I love Monica Rial but she sounds like a adult trying to sound like a child. She does not fit this role!!! At. All. They literally could have gotten ANYONE else younger like Bryn Abril, Alexis Tipton, Sarah Widenfelt... the list goes on. Funimation has hundreds of younger actors on file.

Words can't describe how devastated I am. This is my favorite show and I've always dreamed of it having an uncut dub with fitting voices. Yes it's a fact that Monica is one of the best actresses in the company but it's just not fair. I mean come on. Seriously?

Okay rant over lol life goes on, but I just had to say that. I usually never post here and don't get angry easily but I'm so upset. This is favoritism at its worst.
1dbad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
I love these two, I really do, but I was kinda hoping fresher talent would voice these characters. Were fans of Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and Cardcaptor Sakura hoping for this?.

Can't speak for all Tsubasa fans, but I know all my friends who like Tsubasa were hoping they would use the Tsubasa cast. I too would have appreciated a fresh take on these characters but at the end of the day I can see why they wouldn't go to the trouble of recasting everyone when they already had a fairly solid voice cast for them.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I am sorry Funimation, but Monica Rial does not fit Sakura. I get consistency, but Funi should have recast. I feel sorry for the people hoping for a new and better English dub. Good thing I can watch the show sub only.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5