• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Part 3 GNs 4-5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:48 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dan of Steel, which I interpret to be a “Man of Steel” joke

Maybe, but I always simply took it as the translator of the anime thinking, "What do you mean I can't use Steely Dan? Well, screw it, how about Dan of Steel?!"

Also, I say "translator of the anime", because Viz's original manga translation for Part 3 had a name change snafu where Rubber Soul's name wasn't kept at first (I believe Viz just named him Yellow Temperance, just like the stand), but when they got to Steely Dan they renamed him Rubber Soul. My only guess is that Viz didn't get word that they could use that Beatles' reference until after they had already gotten past that character, so they simply used the reference for another character. The anime simulcast introduced "Dan of Steel", & it's obvious Viz is simply relying on those name changes for consistency, which is appreciated.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:56 am Reply with quote
Ah, you're right, that makes much more sense, especially given Araki's musical name theme. I guess I've been watching too many superhero TV shows and reading too much Squirrel Girl. Laughing
Enturax

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Jotaro currently feels like a side character in his own story
So true, also: too much of that damn Polnareff.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:

Maybe, but I always simply took it as the translator of the anime thinking, "What do you mean I can't use Steely Dan? Well, screw it, how about Dan of Steel?!"

Also, I say "translator of the anime", because Viz's original manga translation for Part 3 had a name change snafu where Rubber Soul's name wasn't kept at first (I believe Viz just named him Yellow Temperance, just like the stand), but when they got to Steely Dan they renamed him Rubber Soul. My only guess is that Viz didn't get word that they could use that Beatles' reference until after they had already gotten past that character, so they simply used the reference for another character. The anime simulcast introduced "Dan of Steel", & it's obvious Viz is simply relying on those name changes for consistency, which is appreciated.

Actually, due to copyrights, the guy, who was named after Steely Dan, had to be renamed. That's why they improvised. Most of the name changes from the original Japanese here in English are mostly due to that one word copyright. So a lot of the characters will undergo this.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Jotaro currently feels like a side character in his own story

Sadly Jotaro never quite comes into his own as a protagonist until the very last battle of this (otherwise great) storyline, and by then it feels a bit too late. I think Araki designed this Jojo to be the opposite of the previous one; while young Joseph was a cheeky loudmouth and a trickster, Jotaro is quiet, calm and direct. But he's a bit too much of the stoic badass type, which ends up making him seem like a stiff, especially compared to larger personalities like Polnareff and Joseph, who end up dominating Part 3 for the most part.

Luckily Jotaro spoiler[really finds his niche when he becomes a supporting character, as he will in Part 4, which is where Araki really masters how to balance an ensemble cast.]
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Actually, due to copyrights, the guy, who was named after Steely Dan, had to be renamed. That's why they improvised. Most of the name changes from the original Japanese here in English are mostly due to that one word copyright. So a lot of the characters will undergo this.

Yeah, I know that, hence why I did the whole "Why can't I use Steely Dan?" gag, but it's just that "Dan of Steel" is not like the other usual changes, which tend to just use another music reference; this was "Filthy Acts at a Reasonable Price" levels of translation snark, & fans loved it. At the same time, the whole Steely Dan/Rubber Soul thing from Viz's original manga release is proof positive of how complicated copyright can be. Obviously, Viz felt that it couldn't use Rubber Soul back when the actual character was shown in the volume that was being released at the time, but I guess circumstances changed once Viz got to the volume with Steely Dan, so Viz decided to use Rubber Soul at that later point, since Steely Dan couldn't be used.

Hell, I'll always be (happily) amazed that Viz managed to keep Vanilla Ice intact for the original manga release, & I worry that the new JoJonium release will change it to Cool Ice, just to keep continuity with the anime's name changes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:28 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:

and once again hollywood flexes its copyright muscles for ONLY when its convenient to them. its stupid things like these are the reasons why macross cant be released in the US as well as the whole hub bub with the detective conan series which IS THE MOST STUPIDEST OF THEM ALL!!!!

Quote:
If you have a queasy stomach, all of this is a definite issue, although it's certainly nothing worse than anything that aired in, for example, Ren and Stimpy.

HA! compared to the toilet humor that was in CC'S south park and MTV's beavus and butthead, that series is kind of shallow! not to mention that its a nick kiddie show unlike the other two.

though from the looks of the new toonami ad promo of the egypt arc, that type of humor is more or less going to be in the anime series, excluding the poop eating. this is supposed to be a action shounen series. NOT an extreme ero series like Dropout, some of those pixy/ziz titles , Ren + Sem , Europhoria , Dark Love and Night Shift Nurses.

i highly doubt they would cross that line and have the EXACT SAME manga's potty/poop humor on AS!!! it would be a PR CRAPSTORM if that ever happened!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Sadly Jotaro never quite comes into his own as a protagonist until the very last battle of this (otherwise great) storyline, and by then it feels a bit too late. I think Araki designed this Jojo to be the opposite of the previous one; while young Joseph was a cheeky loudmouth and a trickster, Jotaro is quiet, calm and direct. But he's a bit too much of the stoic badass type, which ends up making him seem like a stiff, especially compared to larger personalities like Polnareff and Joseph, who end up dominating Part 3 for the most part.

It has been interesting to see the generational divide regarding "Who is best Jojo", which I think has a lot to do with those of us who were introduced to it via the very first OVA, which is all towards the end and showcases Jotaro's best stuff (and adds to it, too).
AnimenexuS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of copyright character names. Vol 6 Hardcover doesn't use Zenyatta Mondatta any more. Now the manga use original names, Oingo Boingo.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Luckily Jotaro spoiler[really finds his niche when he becomes a supporting character, as he will in Part 4, which is where Araki really masters how to balance an ensemble cast.]

Yeah...part 4 wasn't much better at this either given how Okuyasu and Mikitaka felt underutilized hell the latter was another example of Araki simply not giving a damn

jr240483 wrote:

and once again hollywood flexes its copyright muscles for ONLY when its convenient to them. its stupid things like these are the reasons why macross cant be released in the US as well as the whole hub bub with the detective conan series which IS THE MOST STUPIDEST OF THEM ALL!!!!

You really can't fault the music industry for Araki's cheekiness as even he knew that naming characters and stands after musical acts would have problems.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1