• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
You're Under Arrest Listed for U.S. TV Channel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyCanuck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
but its license expired in January

Well, yes, but it was January of 2012.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Neat to see another TV channel airing anime, even if it's as niche as this.
Relairknight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:41 am Reply with quote
Too bad its only on Xfinity cable, I'm always up for dvring any broadcast anime that happens to show up somewhere :/
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:43 am Reply with quote
IIRC, this is also the same channel that aired the English dub of World Trigger - the only place it ever surfaced.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:32 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
IIRC, this is also the same channel that aired the English dub of World Trigger - the only place it ever surfaced.

You're right.

They stopped airing it last fall.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
Bizarre choice for a Hispanic children’s channel. Though I think they try to skew their anime a little older - they even aired Dinosaur King with a TV-14 rating. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Relairknight wrote:
Too bad its only on Xfinity cable, I'm always up for dvring any broadcast anime that happens to show up somewhere :/

which means this article is inaccurate. i have time warner cable which is now called spectrum and its more or less doesnt show up. and even primo's website dont show TWC being a broadcaster.

regardless, i probably wouldn't bother. if primo TV's standard and practices are the same as cartoon network's then the series is going to be extremely edited to a tee. that is unless they have an adult swim like block for their channel .

ninjamitsuki wrote:
Neat to see another TV channel airing anime, even if it's as niche as this.

it shows that anime on tv IS NOT DEAD YET!!!!!! while it wont be as how it was in the late 90's and early 2000's, it definitely not dead by a longshot. especially since toonami is still doing very well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
If it's the 1996-97 You're Under Arrest TV series (which included the 1994-95 OVA as the first four episodes) and which obviously was animated for 4:3, I do have to wonder whether they're going to air it pillarboxed or whether it will be cropped for 16:9?

Does an HD transfer, even just upscaled, of the 1996 TV series even exist? I can't find anything about the 1996 TV series ever getting a Blu-Ray release in Japan although I suppose they could have been remastered in HD for broadcast even without a Blu-Ray release.

The first You're Under Arrest TV series is a very curious choice for any cable outlet to air in 2018. You have beautifully-animated car and bike pursuits... but only in the first four episodes, as those were the ones that were originally OVAs and animated on an OVA budget. After that, there's a huge animation quality drop due to low budget so that the car chases are portrayed with a lot of still shots and static pans to fill in the gaps for shots they couldn't afford to animate properly as this was 1996 and the tech to animate cars in cel-shaded CGI à la Initial D was still a couple of years off from being widely-adopted by the anime industry. Outside of the car chases, there are still a lot of fun character interactions but it still looks a bit rough compared to the OVA episodes.

I can pretty much assume that the primary reason Primo is showing You're Under Arrest is that they were able to pick up the broadcast rights for it dirt cheap.

jr240483 wrote:

regardless, i probably wouldn't bother. if primo TV's standard and practices are the same as cartoon network's then the series is going to be extremely edited to a tee. that is unless they have an adult swim like block for their channel .

I don't know if it's an official block but they are airing it around midnight, though some editing will still be required even if it's just to accommodate overlong American television commercial breaks.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:25 pm Reply with quote
What an odd choice. It would be funny if they picked up Gunsmith Cats next.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
^ Not too likely as Gunsmith Cats only has 3 episodes compared to You're Under Arrest (1996)'s 47 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:51 pm Reply with quote
The irony that I was looking at Miyu Irino's roles the day before then this happen.
q_3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:29 pm Reply with quote
The OVA and first season are currently available on HiDive (dub only, for some unknown reason).
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
If it's the 1996-97 You're Under Arrest TV series (which included the 1994-95 OVA as the first four episodes) and which obviously was animated for 4:3, I do have to wonder whether they're going to air it pillarboxed or whether it will be cropped for 16:9?

Does an HD transfer, even just upscaled, of the 1996 TV series even exist? I can't find anything about the 1996 TV series ever getting a Blu-Ray release in Japan although I suppose they could have been remastered in HD for broadcast even without a Blu-Ray release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuvWcutg2MI
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:56 pm Reply with quote
^ That looks like they stretched out the 4:3 picture to fill a 16:9 screen.

I sure hope that's just for the promo and not representative of how the episodes will look when it's aired.
marek1712

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:17 am Reply with quote
I hope one day YUA Movie will get BD release in the West. It's the only thing I'm missing...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2