• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Typhoon Noruda

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I might be able to complete my Gundam UC collection now! Truthfully though, I cannot say that my enthusiasm for it has persisted during the eight-year interim...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Regarding Typhoon Noruda, that's a lot of money for just 26 mins of actual run time. (plus the bonus tiny extra). I can understand how a debut work meant as a sort of demo reel showcase of your talents would be short though. Perhaps he should've scaled down his ambitious story to make the pacing much better.

Sentai has been releasing these shorts separately including the ones from the Animator Expo project. I wish they compiled all of them into one volume instead.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I would love a collection of Animator Expo shorts.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:19 pm Reply with quote
For a little more background on the main folks behind Typhoon Noruda, Arai used to work as an animator at Ghibli, and Noruda's animation director Hiroyasu Ishida made several independent short films before hiring on at Colorido. Ishida was the one who recruited Arai to join Colorido, and they've worked on several projects together since he came to the studio, normally with Ishida as the lead director and Arai as the animation director, such as with Paulette's Chair and Hinata no Aoshigure - for this movie they flipped jobs. They're also working together on Colorido's next movie, Penguin Highway (which was just announced a couple of days ago) with Ishida back in the director's seat for that one. I'm guessing they'll probably continue to trade off in the future.

For those who'd like to know more, here's a good article about Studio Colorido and their production philosophy, from around the time that Noruda came out back in 2015. It also mentions that this movie has around 18,000 animation frames, which (after doing the math) means most of it was shot on twos, like American animation, instead of on threes like a typical anime.

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/film/the-future-of-digital-animation-in-japan
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:00 am Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Yeah, I would love a collection of Animator Expo shorts.
It makes little sense why they haven't, none of them are available for streaming on the site anymore, and they have an official store selling; CDs, books, vocal cards, T-shirts etc. So a Blu-Ray release would make perfect sense. They could even use the existing subtitles, make it region free, and also sell it to the west.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I might be able to complete my Gundam UC collection now! Truthfully though, I cannot say that my enthusiasm for it has persisted during the eight-year interim...

It's good to see another person who liked Gundam UC.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
For those who'd like to know more, here's a good article about Studio Colorido and their production philosophy, from around the time that Noruda came out back in 2015. It also mentions that this movie has around 18,000 animation frames, which (after doing the math) means most of it was shot on twos, like American animation, instead of on threes like a typical anime.

https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/film/the-future-of-digital-animation-in-japan

That was very interesting. I think more studios will move towards an all digital workflow at least for the main production too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1