• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Occultic;Nine Part 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Unlike Steins;Gate's immensely lovable squad of science nerds...

I hated every character in Steins;Gate. But the incredibly convoluted time travel plot (basically mostly ripped off from the Shane Carruth movie Primer) was good enough to keep me watching.
iridi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
Quote:
Unlike Steins;Gate's immensely lovable squad of science nerds...

I hated every character in Steins;Gate. But the incredibly convoluted time travel plot (basically mostly ripped off from the Shane Carruth movie Primer) was good enough to keep me watching.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hated them. The first time I tried watching Steins;Gate, I dropped it after a few episodes because everyone was just so unlikable. I ended up finishing it a year later and really enjoying it but I never ended up liking any of the cast. Occultic;Nine's characters weren't great either, but I didn't exactly dislike any of them (well, except Cow Tits).

I still think if O;N wasn't associated with Steins;Gate it would have ended up with higher ratings. It's a decent show, even if the in-story logic is garbage, but the connection ended up setting expectations way too high.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
>First two posts dedicated to bashing the characters of Steins;Gate without abandon

Great start there, fellas. Confused
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:19 pm Reply with quote
My favorite part about O;N were the visuals - both its animation quality and its directing/storyboarding. The story and characters were mostly passable, but overall I'm glad I stuck through.

Can't say the same about other semi-colon series.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:55 pm Reply with quote
russ869 wrote:
But the incredibly convoluted time travel plot (basically mostly ripped off from the Shane Carruth movie Primer) was good enough to keep me watching.

"Ripped off" would mean the writer would need to have been aware of an independent movie produced in English with a shoestring budget.

Even given that unlikely event, it "ripped off" Primer about as much as Primer ripped off any time travel story that came before it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Don't dis that lovably bouncy Ryo-tas and her Poya gun, she was the best part of this show! Needless to say, this is "perishable" if you ask me.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:43 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
russ869 wrote:
But the incredibly convoluted time travel plot (basically mostly ripped off from the Shane Carruth movie Primer) was good enough to keep me watching.

"Ripped off" would mean the writer would need to have been aware of an independent movie produced in English with a shoestring budget.

Even given that unlikely event, it "ripped off" Primer about as much as Primer ripped off any time travel story that came before it.

It's been awhile since I've seen Primer, but I'm fairly sure that time travel is literally the only Steins;Gate and it have in common (and they treat the mechanics and theories of time travel completely differently, to boot)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU - Complete Collection BD

Sentai has done a nice thing in recent years combining multiple seasons of one property into a box set after waiting out sales for the initial releases (I recall them doing this with Clannad, ef, and Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions, and surely there are others). But this one is weird given the change in studios between seasons 1 and 2 and the radical overhaul to the characters’ appearance. It also feels like the pace slows way down in season 2. I can’t say they’re like two different anime, but they’re almost that different.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote
iridi wrote:
I still think if O;N wasn't associated with Steins;Gate it would have ended up with higher ratings. It's a decent show, even if the in-story logic is garbage, but the connection ended up setting expectations way too high.

Isn't it the other way around? If Occultic;Nine had not been associated with Steins;Gate not many fans would have paid attention to it. O;N's biggest problem is its inconsistency, not being associated S;G.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1