• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Durarara's Takahiro Ōmori Helms TV Anime of Ranjō Miyake's Psychic Suspense Manga Pet

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
It's Omori working on this so of course i'll watch this.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:23 am Reply with quote
Ok,ok, somebody pinch me. I had a rough night and couldn't barely get any sleep. I'm not dreaming right?, RIGHT? That's the third awesome new announcement we are getting today... I mean, first Abe's new work, then Vinland Saga and now THIS!!?? that's 3 potential AOTY series announced in one day really, what's going on?? Shocked
RubyRed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:27 am Reply with quote
I'd been keeping an eye on the manga for almost 5 years - ever since stumbling upon the raws - hoping someone would scanlate it. I guess an anime adaptation's the next best thing. Looking forward to it!
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:08 am Reply with quote
If it wasn't obvious over the last couple of years, it should be 100% apparent by this point that behemoth international streaming sites like Amazon and Netflix, as well as the growth of Crunchyroll and the growth of international fandom as a whole has made a pretty drastic difference in the kind of content that can be adapted. No way in hell half of the stuff announced today by Twin Engine leading up to Anime Japan could've ever been made in like 2010.
younesase

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:27 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
No way in hell half of the stuff announced today by Twin Engine leading up to Anime Japan could've ever been made in like 2010.

You seem new to anime man, "this kind of content" was adapted more than once since the late 80s and begining of 90s, and example of that is lain was made in the 90s and the many experimental animes we got in that era, I see nothing different now beside anime having more fans than ever which doesn't play any role in what gets adapted, I just hope that this will open the opportunity for more experimental and different animes to get adapted.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
younesase wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
No way in hell half of the stuff announced today by Twin Engine leading up to Anime Japan could've ever been made in like 2010.

You seem new to anime man, "this kind of content" was adapted more than once since the late 80s and begining of 90s, and example of that is lain was made in the 90s and the many experimental animes we got in that era, I see nothing different now beside anime having more fans than ever which doesn't play any role in what gets adapted, I just hope that this will open the opportunity for more experimental and different animes to get adapted.

I think you misunderstood my point. This kind of stuff would not have been made in the post bubble anime industry of the mid-to-late 2000s. That is my point. The market was forced to consolidate risk as much as possible and pander to the hardcore audiences, which meant primarily stuff targeting otaku, and generally just much less variety.
The growth of anime internationally, thanks to things like streaming, has allowed anime to expand beyond those niche audiences and once again target a more mainstream audience(like it tried to do in the 60s-the late-90s), in addition to facilitating more high risk niche projects.
There are still people complaining about anime being all moe, or otaku-bait, or whatever, even today, crazily enough, but each year since 2011, they've become more and more wrong.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree, not only the variety, the sheer amount of anime made today beats the post-bubble aughts. I only fear that this is a new Streaming Entertainment bubble. But I'll enjoy it while it lasts!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1