• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Made in Abyss, Armed Girl's Machiavellism English Dubs, Legend of the Galactic Heroes Box Set Announ

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
That looks pretty neat, but that's not something I can afford or even want. I should also probably start watching this show
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, uh...unless I win the lottery, imma need a standard edition of that Legend of the Galactic Heroes set.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
Fair play that looks like a really nice Collectors Edition but at that price, damn!!! Anime cry
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:53 am Reply with quote
So I'm guessing the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes is going undubbed? It's a shame, but understandable considering it's over a 100 episodes long and has niche appeal.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:54 am Reply with quote
Blankslate wrote:
So I'm guessing the original Legend of the Galactic Heroes is going undubbed? It's a shame, but understandable considering it's over a 100 episodes long and has niche appeal.

No music and effects track, so a dub is impossible
https://twitter.com/DubTalkPodcast/status/979731151844716544
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
ANN should probably make an update for this article, because the LOGH release will be limited edition only, as revealed via the successive Q&A:
Quote:
Q: Standard Edition release for LoGH?
A: There are no plans for a Standard Edition.

This sounds almost exactly like what Wright Staff Co. tried pulling back in 2003, except that they were asking for ~$1,700 dollars for the entire thing. The biggest difference with Sentai, though, is that they at least managed to negotiate a streaming option, but people who actually want the own LOGH are, once again, effectively told, "Screw you! We want exorbitant amounts of money for this only!"
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
Hot DAMN if only I could justify spending $800 on a single anime series (even if said series is LoGH and is 110+24+28 eps + 3 movies, so at least it's a lot). I'm really hoping they'll make a more affordable special edition maybe without the entire series in it. A nice artbox to hold the whole series will have to suffice for me (remember when every company did that for 6-8 disc DVD releases? fun times). Though I do like artbooks a lot (but I have imported some from Japan for far cheaper than this set)

I know the LoGH fanbase is rabid and devout, but that doesn't mean we're rich....

*edit NO STANDARD OPTION?! Do you have ANY idea how long I have waited to own this show for myself? And now they're going the Aniplex route? Way to burn bridges, Sentai!
What do I have to do here, wait another 10 years for the license to lapse and hope Discotek gets it and releases it affordably? DAMMIT!
John Thacker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
110 episodes to the main OVA series, the 52 various side story OVAs, and the three movies (even if two are 60 minutes and the other one is just an expanded version of the beginning two episodes)? $800 really isn't that bad for a special edition, it's not even much more expensive on a per episode count than a lot of regular editions for shows, especially considering that Sentai doesn't usually hold to MSRP the way that some publishers do. (Could be different here, of course.) E.g., Utena in the regular release is $180 for 49 episodes plus 1 movie; multiplying by three would be $540 for a similar amount of content, and Gundam Wing, also about one-third the content, is similar. Those two shows have limited edition box sets at $225 and $250.

I suppose that they could offer a Regular Edition, but it would still be something like $550-$600 MSRP for all the pieces together at normal rates.

These aren't Aniplex prices we're talking about, not even close. (E.g., $100 for six episodes of the second season of Durarara!)

Last edited by John Thacker on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, maybe per ep, it's not Aniplex prices bad, but do you really think most fans can drop $800 at once like that? And while it *might* be MSRP $550-600 for a standard, since it'll be produced in greater quantities and the releases spread out over time, it won't hit the wallet as hard and it'll surely go on sale for a pretty good price during the holidays (via rightstuf or Sentai themselves), meaning you could probably pay less than $400 easily, so that'd still be half the price of the LE.

But only letting 1000 people in total even have the chance to OWN LoGH on bluray? That's pretty Aniplex. Maybe I wanted to watch LoGH on my TV (and Hidive doesn't yet have a Playstation option) or spread the love and loan it out to friends who don't have Hidive or maybe they have poor internet connections. Or maybe I just wanted to stare at it lovingly and have a romantic candlelit dinner with it. All things I'd need *a* physical set to be able to do.

*edit
It's up for sale on Sentai's site now, and, as expected, there is no discount. All of their other pre-orders, including other LEs, have some discount on them, but not LoGH.

Last edited by zawa113 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
With a price point that expensive for LOGH you'd be better off buying Die Neue These instead whenever it comes out here. I really hope Sentai knows what they're doing because this might bankrupt them.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote
I am guessing the announcement of a dub for Princess Principal will be made at a future con; I would be shocked if it does not get an English dub.

John Thacker wrote:
110 episodes to the main OVA series, the 52 various side story OVAs, and the three movies (even if two are 60 minutes and the other one is just an expanded version of the beginning two episodes)? $800 really isn't that bad for a special edition, it's not even much more expensive on a per episode count than a lot of regular editions for shows

Thanks for being the voice of reason.
G S Palmer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
The article wrote:
The limited edition will be limited to 1,000 copies and retail for US$799.

Jesus F***ing Christ. I guess I know one person who won't be buying this show on disc. Thank god for Hidive, or I might never be able to see it. I generally like Sentai's LEs because they're both nice and semi-affordable (for contrast, Aniplex and Funimation only ever shoot for one of the two), but yeah, no. And for the people justifying this, you do realize that this means only 1000 people will ever be able to own LoGH, right? Which is unfortunate because having something on disc is the only way to ensure that you'll be able to see it again, what with the fleetingness of license periods.

Anyway, I'm glad to see Made in Abyss getting a dub. I probably won't watch it, but I'm happy the show will be available to more people.

Last edited by G S Palmer on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:54 am; edited 2 times in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:39 am Reply with quote
Dang it, I was really hoping for a standard edition release, similar to like Funimation’s Yu Yu Hakusho’s 112 episodes spread across 4 bluray volumes.
Anyways, I’m not so sure if I’m dedicated enough to pay that much. If I make enough money this summer, maybe, but if the 1000 copies sell out, then they’ll be nothing I can do. In the meantime, hopefully Sentai will at least stream the 3 movies on HiDive soon.

The one good thing about this article is that I’ll be able to at least own Made in Abyss this year.

Last edited by LegitPancake on Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
With a price point that expensive for LOGH you'd be better off buying Die Neue These instead whenever it comes out here. I really hope Sentai knows what they're doing because this might bankrupt them.

I’m sorry, but this is laughable. If they are only making a 1,000 copies, how could it bankrupt them?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:46 am Reply with quote
...they cannot be ****ing serious. There has to be some sort of misunderstanding here. There's no conceivable way a company could produce an EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLAR release as the only way to own a series. Tell me this is just a sick joke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7